Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Waveloop » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Waveloop

Subject title: Please leave some opinions

Here is my entry for the Tomb Raider Contest...Did it for the fun of it. First contest I ever entered. I got a kick out of it, and learn a lot with the process actually.

The original file is like 4000\4000 so you won't be able to see all the detail I'm afraid... but still, I wanted you guys to tell me what you think before I post it, It still needs some little adjustments.

Fire at will :D
lara3.jpg

Postby alnoth » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:00 pm

alnoth

i think she is more cartoony than some of your other pieces...

Postby marvel57 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:17 pm

marvel57

Wave-she looks real good, I assume the eye level is about at her hand? The foreshortening is preety extreme, it kinda looks like her legs are huge and her head is much smaller, maybe raise the eye level? Idk, but your going to have to keep that in mind w/ your background, where is she going to be? :ugeek:

Postby perkexpert » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:05 pm

perkexpert

Hi Wave, as always, very nice line-work. I like the pose and it feels very energetic and fluent. I agree that the harsh size-contrast of her legs and boots make her a bit masculine.
Maybe make it a tad less extreme. Chin maybe a tad more rounded and feminine. I'd also make her breasts smaller. The new game is about to change the lara to a more "grounded" level, so to fit the context theme id go
with a more "regular" breast for a slender woman. On the other hand, it gives a contrasting weight to the face-twist...hard choice. For this kind of look, you might want to try a bit stronger colors with a nice harmony, fitting
the theme. I also tried to hold a pencil like your lara...only works if the pinky supports the pressure from thumb and indexfinger, the ring finger would point straight outward then.
How much time did you spend on it?
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby alnoth » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:19 pm

alnoth

keep the big boobs, but take away her bra... the tank-top should be more than enough. :geek:

Postby marvel57 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:40 pm

marvel57

Boobs, eh. Bra, eh ...stop stealing my super geek :ugeek:

Postby Waveloop » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Waveloop

marvel57 wrote:Wave-she looks real good, I assume the eye level is about at her hand? The foreshortening is preety extreme, it kinda looks like her legs are huge and her head is much smaller, maybe raise the eye level? Idk, but your going to have to keep that in mind w/ your background, where is she going to be? :ugeek:

perkexpert wrote:Hi Wave, as always, very nice line-work. I like the pose and it feels very energetic and fluent. I agree that the harsh size-contrast of her legs and boots make her a bit masculine.
Maybe make it a tad less extreme. Chin maybe a tad more rounded and feminine. I'd also make her breasts smaller. The new game is about to change the lara to a more "grounded" level, so to fit the context theme id go
with a more "regular" breast for a slender woman. On the other hand, it gives a contrasting weight to the face-twist...hard choice. For this kind of look, you might want to try a bit stronger colors with a nice harmony, fitting
the theme. I also tried to hold a pencil like your lara...only works if the pinky supports the pressure from thumb and indexfinger, the ring finger would point straight outward then.
How much time did you spend on it?

Yeah I made extra effort to contrast and distort perspective. I give you that it is probably to much, but I like it so much like that :roll:

I tuned it down a little, but right now it's pretty much impossible to change it, without changing every thing. I rounded the chin a little too, but that expression kinda flattens the chin, but yeah it was a bit to much with that pointy edge. The breasts... some of the official images picture her with some pretty large jugs...

tomb_raider_transparent_render_by_n4pcroft-d3hv3nr.png

Holding the arrow.... Originally she was suppose to be pushing on the arrow, that was sticking to something, the hand positioning is indicating that she was just grabbing the arrow... makes sense?? but it didn't work, it messed up the composition.
I figure it looks like she just picked it up from the ground, and momentum it still taking place. It doesn't bother me to much... I know the arrow would counterbalance and tip backwards, but I like the dynamics it transmits. I'll give it some thought.
this one took some time, like up to 8 hours... 3 was just staring and thinking stuff out, 2 hours was waiting on my laptop to process the image :roll: I'll post a little progress pic
Thanks guys :D

Here is an update, but I like the other previous one more... the head looks big now.

I don't now, I'm going to play with her for a while :twisted:

lara5.jpg

Postby Waveloop » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:30 pm

Waveloop

heres the progress pic
lara 17.jpg

Postby alnoth » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:42 am

alnoth

i thought this when i saw it:

[url]http://animationarchive.net/Feature%20Films/Tarzan/Images/F0708[1].jpg[/url]

Postby Waveloop » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:00 am

Waveloop

alnoth wrote:i thought this when i saw it:

[url]http://animationarchive.net/Feature%20Films/Tarzan/Images/F0708[1].jpg[/url]

Damn, that picture would have helped a lot while I was figure drawing it :roll:
You gotta love Tarzan, one of my favorite animation movies ever...

Postby Zjacklee » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Zjacklee

Nice man! I really like the overal look.

I don't have much critique to add besides her right clavicle that seems to point in the wrong direction judging from her body.
the right arm doesn't feel very feminine either. The head could be slightly bigger maybe?
Making the jugs smaller will not contribute to the composition or an even more appealing image imo.

As for the view, I think there is always going to be a fight in between reality of perspective and the possibilities and pushed perspectives. Personally I think it looks fine.
You guys remember all those impossible drawings from Hyun Tae kim?
The exaggeration is what made it all look very nice. When they compared it to how it might have looked without exaggeration it looked pretty dull and boring.

Ooh, and I think the arrow could use some work at the tip. How it's painted and also how it is attached to the rest of the wood of the arrow.
(the rest of my critique would have gone with the standard things I say all the time about clothing and colour, so I won't repeat my self. :P )
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Waveloop » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:48 am

Waveloop

so I went with this, it's pretty much the same, with some small changes...

Here is the link to the file with original size, so you can see detail clearer.

http://waveloop.deviantart.com/art/Lara-Croft-357833721
lara 13.jpg

Postby Minako008 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:55 pm

Minako008

Emotion, dynamic...I like it! :D Best of luck in the competition! ;)

Postby Waveloop » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:17 am

Waveloop

Minako008 wrote:Emotion, dynamic...I like it! :D Best of luck in the competition! ;)

Thank you :D

I'm not expexting nothing out of it, it's impossible for me to compete with some of the guys participating. There are some sick pieces of genius out here. I'm out of my league. Just did it for the fun. And I'm pretty pleased to just managed to finish it accordingly with what I had in mind.

But thanks for the vote of confidence ;)

Postby marvel57 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:01 pm

marvel57

Just one little thing, hermano would'nt the hair casting a shadow on her face/cheek show on her left eye as well? -picky marvel :)

Postby Minako008 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:04 am

Minako008

marvel57 wrote:Just one little thing, hermano would'nt the hair casting a shadow on her face/cheek show on her left eye as well? -picky marvel :)

Hm, you are really picky for noticing such a small detail! :D But I guess you have a point there actually , now that you mention it I too think that there should be shadow, only if it wasn't artistic decision, to make her eyes more noticeable.

Postby Waveloop » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:53 am

Waveloop

marvel57 wrote:Just one little thing, hermano would'nt the hair casting a shadow on her face/cheek show on her left eye as well? -picky marvel :)

Yes it would, and I had that put down, but when you look at the whole picture, the eye loses that hazel reflection. And I really wanted that there. And I also wanted the casting shadow from the hair lock, cuz it creates a sense of space in her face, so I decided to do it like that. You know me, I don't really get caught in all the realistic details, I put some down to make it at a little credible, but I'm more for dynamics and attitude.

I spent quite some time working on her face, so every inch was created purposefully even the mistakes... I like them :D

Only you could catch that in this resolution :lol:

Postby marvel57 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:14 pm

marvel57

:shock:

Postby Fenix_N » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:10 am

Fenix_N

Hey waveloop. Gotta say, I'm impressed by this one!

Postby messyink101 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:58 am

messyink101

This is fantastic! Gotta say, my favorite part is the hand that's holding the arrow. Just adds drama to the piece for some reason :)

Postby Waveloop » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Waveloop

Fenix_N wrote:Hey waveloop. Gotta say, I'm impressed by this one!

Jee thanks man. :D
It toke some work to accomplish this. It's nice to hear positive reinforcing words.

Postby Waveloop » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:06 pm

Waveloop

messyink101 wrote:This is fantastic! Gotta say, my favorite part is the hand that's holding the arrow. Just adds drama to the piece for some reason :)

Thanks man :D

Glad you said that about the hand, cuz I kinda like it too! Even if the rest of crew says it's not correct... I know it's not :roll: ... but I like it so much like that.
(I'm not dissing any critiques guys... all critiques are always welcome)

Gravity is overrated :lol:

Return to Critique This!