Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Waveloop » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:01 pm

Waveloop

Subject title: reggae couple :)

this one has some mistakes... like to see what you guys can point out...!

http://youtu.be/ubEa-RnP5-I
dance6.jpg

Postby Dream » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:09 pm

Dream

There's something that feels off in the girl's head/neck/pectoral relationship, but i'm not very sure what. Maybe it's some of the values or the position? It feels like the girl's head is a bit too behind, to the level of uncanny/unnatural. Or at least that she wouldn't really keep her head directly straight in that position.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby marvel57 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:40 pm

marvel57

Lips too long on the chick, no finger nails, her ear too small and misshapen. White persons masquerading as true black Jamaican dreadlocks is unappealing......otherwise pretty good! :ugeek:

Postby Waveloop » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Waveloop

Dream wrote:There's something that feels off in the girl's head/neck/pectoral relationship, but i'm not very sure what. Maybe it's some of the values or the position? It feels like the girl's head is a bit too behind, to the level of uncanny/unnatural. Or at least that she wouldn't really keep her head directly straight in that position.

Yeah the pose is stretched to the limit, maybe pass the limit. I kinda like what it transmits though, I really wanted that S shape to be marked... she is being pulled forward but withdrawing in hesitation at the same time... I wanted that to be readable in her body gesture. Did I overdo it... Yeah maybe! I like it though :D

but thanks for taking the time

Postby Waveloop » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:24 pm

Waveloop

marvel57 wrote:Lips too long on the chick, no finger nails, her ear too small and misshapen. White persons masquerading as true black Jamaican dreadlocks is unappealing......otherwise pretty good! :ugeek:

Redone lips and ear, and added the finger nails, I sometimes don't put them down.I like to simplify, but in this case I think it's warranted. Thanks Marvel :D

As for the Dreads... Well I thinks what you meant was... " I think is unappealing", as in your taste and opinion. Cuz there is no such thing as true Jamaican dreadlocks, thats a preconception and a misconception at the same time. Dread locks go way back. True that the Rastafarian movement brought them back to fashion, but they go back to maybe even when Homo sapiens were confine to Africa, and they are recurrent through out history in many cultures... Spartans in Greece, Ancient Sumerians, Buddhist monks, the Mãori in New Zealand, in India, in Nepal, the Massai, , the Sufi, In many ancient cultures of South America, even Irish warriors and some catholic priests used them... They started of as being a practical method of confiding hard to cut hair, and making it easier to handle, them turned to a symbol of deep religious belief, and ultimately to just a hair style... I personally just think they're cool. :D
Last edited by Waveloop on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Postby Waveloop » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:25 pm

Waveloop

here it is
dance7.jpg

Postby Leluach » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:59 am

Leluach

Damn so cool.

Postby Waveloop » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 am

Waveloop

Leluach wrote:Damn so cool.

thanks man! :D

Postby stnkjuc » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:01 am

stnkjuc

Dreads don't fall like that unless they're very thin. I've had 'em, so I would know. They're a little stiff (even the mature ones)

*** shoulders of the girl look odd too.. unless that's your style

Postby Waveloop » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:28 am

Waveloop

stnkjuc wrote:Dreads don't fall like that unless they're very thin. I've had 'em, so I would know. They're a little stiff (even the mature ones)

*** shoulders of the girl look odd too.. unless that's your style

Yeah I now... I did too.

But it adds to the motion... my reference for this piece was Tarzan from Disney, if you saw it, you know how his dreads are all over the place, I kinda like that effect, and that is related to my style, and how I do things... in my world materials and laws of physics behave differently :lol:

The shoulder is bugging me too to be honest, my style or not, it needs changing :D I'll work on that.
tarzan-and-jane-disney.jpg
Tarzan-and-Jane-disney-couples-16246284-414-284.jpg
Tarzan_outsmarts_python.jpg

Postby stnkjuc » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:51 am

stnkjuc

Looks sick though, good work :3

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Zjacklee

looks nice man! :)

from all that's been said here already... I only have to add that i find the front part of the girls hair to feel a bit liquified. as if it's melting or something.
I don't know if you get what i mean.
And the hair of the dreadlocks going behind the ear... it feels like there is too much depth there. See how thick one dreadlock is and if you see 2 besides each other which strangely still fit in the small gap of the ear and the head. See it?
The eyebrow of the girl seems to be on her forehead. ( check the shading that you would do on top of the eye and you will see what i mean)
I think one more depth of shading would also help. ( distinguishing occlusion shadows, hard shadows and normal soft shadows of the subject )
(sorry if by chance I happen to say something others have pointed out already maybe, but I couldn't read through it all completely and i'm a bit late here. :P )
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Return to Critique This!