Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Cross_art » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:06 am

Cross_art

Subject title: Lara Croft Reborn Painting

Hello, I don't if finished work is only allowed but I am currently still working on this piece and wondering if there is anything to strengthen the composition and the values of the painting.
tomb raider reborn.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:48 am

Ambiguity

It's not a rule that it has to be finished, but it is easier to give critique when it is because it shows what you actually know about your fundamentals instead of us just guessing what you just haven't refined yet.

Anyways, night scenes are an absolute bitch to paint without there being some secondary lighting besides the moon. In this scenario I don't think they're should be rim lighting on her right side(our left), the rim light also shouldn't be that thick imo. The right side of her face probably wouldn't be that visible either(or anything on her right side really). There is probably going to be a bit of lighting on the underside of her figure as well because of the reflection from the water. Sorry, I'd do an over paint to make things easier to understand, but I don't have my PC set up :P.

Postby alnoth » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:08 am

alnoth

the rim light is ALL AROUND her body. how is that possible? unless a search light from a copter is directly behind her theres no way this would happen. pick a light source and highlight only the edges that get some glare off of the light source direction.

Postby Waveloop » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:04 pm

Waveloop

I agree with the Ambiguity and Alnoth above.
And I think you should work her figure. I'ts looking pretty stiff right now... I'm doing something for the tomb Rider reborn contest too, I'll post it soon.
Anyway keep working man, check some reference, experiment different layouts and contexts, go get your hands dirty dude. :D

peace

Postby Cross_art » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:56 am

Cross_art

Thanks for the replies and I agree with you guys( I can't believe I didn't see that before with the rim lighting) but I'm gonna keep posting my work in progress until its finished. I'll be posting up another today.

Postby Cross_art » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:14 am

Cross_art

This is just the W.I.P so.... same thing. I'd appreciate it if you guys could give me some idears.
tomb raider reborn.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:02 am

Ambiguity

Not quite sure you understood what I was talking about with the lighting, so here's a paint over:
Spoiler: show

I did it with my mouse so it's a little crude, but I think it gets the point across.

Postby marvel57 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:43 pm

marvel57

Never mind the lighting, the face and knife leave much to be desired,is Lara supposed to be beautiful?Well......keep going :ugeek:

Postby perkexpert » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:21 pm

perkexpert

I'd even go much further with the lighting, here's a try. The posture could indeed use some work, i also tried to fix the "attack" position of the ice-tool (its not pointing with the sharp bit btw.)
moonlightlara.jpg
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby marvel57 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:47 pm

marvel57

Perk-you're good, fixed the face problem in a snap :lol: :ugeek:

Postby perkexpert » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:01 pm

perkexpert

Years of experience: If you dont like what you see, dim the light :)
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby Waveloop » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:37 pm

Waveloop

Perk right one the money... In that situation and context that is pretty damn cool...
but...
Is it just me, or isn't the point to actually see what the hell is going on in the picture

... Cross_art to be fair and honest, I think you should just stat from scratch man!

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Zjacklee

perkexpert wrote:Years of experience: If you dont like what you see, dim the light :)

Whahahaha!!! :lol: that seriously made me laugh! xD
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Dream » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Dream

Zjacklee wrote:
perkexpert wrote:Years of experience: If you dont like what you see, dim the light :)

Whahahaha!!! :lol: that seriously made me laugh! xD

Wait i don't get- oh :lol:
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Return to Critique This!