Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Runningxblind » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:01 am

Runningxblind

Subject title: New user, first critique post. Can be used in video. :D

Hello everyone.

I wanted to get a critique on this quick sketch I did in which I was playing with perspective, foreshortening, and expression. I was trying to make a nice dynamic pose but I dunno, it feels off to me. Also.....HANDS. God help me, hands. I just can't get them no matter how hard I try.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also here is a direct link: http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9813 ... 184948.jpg

THOUGHTS????
Oh, and sorry for the dodgy quality and the fact that it's linked into the post. I had to take a picture of it with my phone as my scanner is on the fritz and the file size was too big to upload as an attachment.

Postby alnoth » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:51 am

alnoth

i just think a critique or a video crit even is more suited for the finished pieces. or at least, you know, beyond the sketchy sketch... theres sketchbook section for those.

the pose looks ok, tho there is a funny tangent - i cant decide what im seeing here, whethere the girl is pulling the bow traditionally, or whehter she is doing so against her knee...

it lacks story as well, it can pass for a sketch, but i dont know why is she in a sort of sitting pose yet she is aiming her arrow down? what might she be shooting at? is she in mid air? idk...

Postby Runningxblind » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:35 am

Runningxblind

I was aiming for her to be mid air. Like kind of falling while shooting. I guess it didn't come across haha.
I can definitely see the tangent now you mention it and I was trying to get her bow into a sort of diagonal position, does that make sense?

Thanks for the advice. :)

Postby TheAnimal » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:49 am

TheAnimal

looks like she is sitting on a tree, alnoth.. or doesn't it??

well, Runningxblind. i can see you did some anatomy and you are building the figure out of simple forms, that's quit a good thing and about 50% of figure drawing.
but what really doesn't work in the picture is the "gesture" of the figure.. to say it simple she is just leaning back in a way which really wouldn't make it possible not to fall back.
the first thing you should think of in figure drawing is where the weight is gonna be. in this specific drawing it should be on her but and above.
if you want a really dynamic drawing think of where the weight is and how it "swings"..
hope that will help somehow

Postby TheAnimal » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:53 am

TheAnimal

p.s. ah and btw imitating the pose is a powertool to get the figure correct! if you want a beautiful pose that feels comfortable to the viewer you should feel comfortable doing this pose.

Postby alnoth » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:59 am

alnoth

if she is sitting on a tree branch, she has no stability whatsoever, the only point of contact being her butt - actually, only the back of her pelvis as her knees are so high up. if you just look at the pose - do you think its possible to sit on a tree branch while lifting your knees like that?

if she is in the middle of a fall, that makes more sense.

Postby jerjer00 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:57 pm

jerjer00

i think her feet is weird, maybe because she's falling and her feet is not facing the ground like how you would land? if you get what i mean

Postby stnkjuc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:20 pm

stnkjuc

jerjer00 wrote:i think her feet is weird, maybe because she's falling and her feet is not facing the ground like how you would land? if you get what i mean

Yes, like she's sitting on a tree as above stated, or rising up to do a backflip

If she's in mid-air and falling down, then point a foot towards the ground to point the reader to that direction so he or she understands it

Return to Critique This!