Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Brian Kouhi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Brian Kouhi

Subject title: Need Quick Critique please! before the day ends if possible.

This is a Character Named Annie, from the Game League of Legends.
They are holding an Art contests and i wanted to compete, im not expecting to win anything, but i just wanted my name to be in there.
I would like Some critiques As soon as possible please, the contest ends in 12 hours, and i only found out about it last night.

what i have right now is about 3:50 - 4 hours of work. but im still not done the Grey scale.

I will probably add a Flag( the flag being an item from the Game's new season) on the side of the Gate or something like that.
Please critique away! :D
Annie6.5.JPG
Annie6.JPG
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby Total100 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

well i dont really know what to say sorry. it looks pretty good!
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby Brian Kouhi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Brian Kouhi

Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby Roger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:11 pm

Roger

I'm sure once you add color people will recognize who it is, but since its BnW I had no idea who this was. Even after a brief research on the girl. The cave she is entering doesn't gradually become a cave alongside the corresponding walls. The skirt on the sides has no flow at all, at least now with the direction of the wind. The left arm seems like it closest to us but its the same length as the right arm, is this intentional?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Postby Brian Kouhi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Brian Kouhi

Roger wrote:I'm sure once you add color people will recognize who it is, but since its BnW I had no idea who this was. Even after a brief research on the girl. The cave she is entering doesn't gradually become a cave alongside the corresponding walls. The skirt on the sides has no flow at all, at least now with the direction of the wind. The left arm seems like it closest to us but its the same length as the right arm, is this intentional?

Thanks for the Critique,
-The "Cave" she's entering is suppose to be a Gate of some sort to the Season 3 Tournament, i just haven't figured out how to indicate that. :/
-One of my Major problems was the Skirt, i've scrapped it 3 times so far, and redrew it... spent over an hour just trying to adjust this version of it.. i think im done with it.. lol
-And regarding the Arms, yes the Hand with the teddy bear is suppose to be slightly behind her. :)
Annie8.JPG
Just Updating it to were I'm at right now

Postby Zjacklee » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Zjacklee

Hey dude... I researched the character too and i gotta say, I couldn't recognise her. Your person seems to be a bit "broad". while the character annie is supposed to be tiny cute.
the hair can definitely use some work. it doesn't seem like the same hairstyle.
I would try to be more accurate with her clothing too. for instance the socks aren't the same style as i have seen the from the character around. And i would work on the ruffles of the skirt. ( i'll add a quick thing you can do to indicate this. don't expect a master artwork though. It's an indication so you can get an idea. haha )
the way the lighting is working too is also making her seem as if she is slightly pushing back her hips which is not what you intended i think.
she is suposed to be wearing a dark purple dress. that grey is not that kind of dark grey i would expect.
also, to bring the character more out for the contrast i would make her darker. ( contrast of dark against the light background )

Good luck in being in that contest by the way! let your name be known. :)
ruffles.jpg
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Brian Kouhi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:43 pm

Brian Kouhi

Thanks Lee :D

Postby Brian Kouhi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:52 pm

Brian Kouhi

Here's Annie's New look for the new season, this is were i got my reference for her clothing.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe= ... 1215%3B717

^ Dat link...

Postby Brian Kouhi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Brian Kouhi

Update*
I messed around with the skirt a little bit, added a few other minor things.

The socks are lower than the reference i chose, but that's because I'm giving it a little bit of my own taste, also, the design of the skirt, is made simular to the Season 3 Version of her, which i sent the link too. BUT i very strongly agree with the Hair! i can Never draw or paint hair, and i've watched numerous amounts of videos on the topic.
Annie9.JPG

Postby Roger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:53 pm

Roger

The right arm needs to drawn as if it is going towards the cave, otherwise the left arm will look normal length. you don't need to follow the reference to a T, just enough so there is a recognizable trait about it.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Postby Brian Kouhi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:07 pm

Brian Kouhi

Update**
I've been having a really hard time adding color to "Annie"
im having trouble Getting the color i want, and the saturation i want... i've tried "Color, Multiple, Overlay" mostly Color, but im not getting the results/colors i want.... :/ this is what i came up with after few hours..
annie10.JPG

Postby Brian Kouhi » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:07 am

Brian Kouhi

Alright sorry for Bashing in Posts non stop, but This is the final version which i handed in, i nearly ran out of time, and i got a Midterm on Wedensday.
Annie-Contest Small.JPG

Postby Williham24 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:33 pm

Williham24

To me, it looks like the bottom half of her body is at a completely different angle to the rest of the body. It looks like the viewer is looking kinda up at the girl, and you can see the bottom of her backpack, but the lower body is from an angle looking straight at them. Maybe you should draw the skirt from a lower angle? I don't know :?
Hi I'm Will :) I'm 17 and I want to do illustration :)
'Paint a little less of the facts and a little more of the spirit'

My bad sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6729

Postby stnkjuc » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:05 pm

stnkjuc

As said^ so quick fix would be change the backpack so the bottom of the backpack isn't shown or minimal

Postby Brian Kouhi » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Brian Kouhi

We are suppose to be looking at the character from the bottom, but i did notice that bottom half of her body didn't really look like it, i was thinking of changing up the skirt, so were looking at it from a lower point, but the contests ended yesterday, and i have a Midterm on Wednesday, and didn't have any more time to work on it, considering i already put in 9 hours :/
-Thanks for Critiques :)

Return to Critique This!