Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Inishi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:33 am

Inishi

Subject title: Overall / Perspective problems

Hey there,

I recently purchased a Wacom Intuos 5 Tablet and thus started drawing digitally. I'm still working on my first drawing, which I should put aside to get my head clear - but I just can't. Somehow I've been drawing my whole life but never managed to really break out of my current (note: whole life) skill level. Digital drawing pretty much made me step to another level, since I found it much easier to take note of mistakes and fix them. Still, I'm a very beginner and couldn't draw you anything related to realistic stuff. I also never really drew anything aside boring character poses or portraits. Pretty much stuck to a manga style, which I intend to "drop" and get to learn more serious stuff. So, Sycra is a big help and so is this forum.

Anyway, this time I clearly knew which direction I wanted to go. I wanted something "dynamic" and play with perspective, which I've never done till then. Aside from all the trouble I have with brushes, I managed to get a somewhat-clean lineart in the end. I tried coloring it, but failed miserably, first because of my lack of knowledge when it comes to light and shadow and second because my goal was to reach something miyazaki-watercolor-like-thing.
But as I'm posting the lineart and some progress pics only, it might be hard to give me tipps in that direction.

Latest result:

Note: I pretty much copied the hair from some hair tutorial, since I thought my original ones looked to flat and terrible and couldn't manage to fix that. I'm mostly used to drawing guys, so drawing a female was a new challenge. Mainly copied it to get a feel for a new direction, but pretty much don't like it. I feel like I'm having alot of mistakes in there. Perspective wise, anatomy wise (still in terms of this style, f.e I know those legs aren't particulary realistic, but I drew them that slim on purpose.) and yeah, something is off with the face. I don't even know what the chin should look like when watching a character from that angle. Tried some things, they looked off. Also the face elements are too flat. It looks like I simply butchered some lines on a head-shape.
Hope you can see behind my intention of that picture. Like, what perspective I intended to draw and stuff.

Some progress pics, so you might get a better feel for it.
You might notice that I figured alot of things myself and took effort to fix those myself:

http://6g6.eu/sih0-ffdddg.jpg
http://6g6.eu/sih0-lorelei.jpg
http://6g6.eu/sih0-sketch0.jpg

I also start to like the old hair better, lol.

Thanks in advance. x)

Postby virtueone » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:09 am

virtueone

Overall, I think its a good composition - it's simple yet powerful. It seems like a really familiar image - that's not a bad thing, just an observation, so try to find some good references and keep working on it.

If the character was holding something, that might tell more of a story.

Wish I could help more. Good luck. ;)

Postby Inishi » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Inishi

virtueone wrote:Overall, I think its a good composition - it's simple yet powerful. It seems like a really familiar image - that's not a bad thing, just an observation, so try to find some good references and keep working on it.

If the character was holding something, that might tell more of a story.

Wish I could help more. Good luck. ;)

Thanks a bunch. I agree it might look blant, since the story to that is only in my head. Unfortunately I can't think about anything fitting for her holding in her hands. I should just do it anyway, for the sake of practising!
I had a friend saying that the face looked off and displaced. Can you tell me about your impression of that?

I totally forgot to mention her coat. It's supposed to be thick, and my only way to display it with that attribute is to work on the wasted part on the bottom of the coat, right? Pretty much thinking of how I can bring some depth in there.

Postby alnoth » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:31 pm

alnoth

i think since the wind is pushing her hair so much to the side, it should be doing the same with her skirt - would give the image a better flow...

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Zjacklee

Hey there,

i really like what i see so far. Composition wise I do find it pleasing to look at. the character isn't too bad either.^^

Now you had some problems with the head... well... you might want to indicate a part of her jaw if you want the view to be from below.
check out this image:
Spoiler: show

you can get ton's of other ideas on it by just googling "head angles".

Next comes the clothing that you wanted it to be more thick?
the part all the way to the bottom definitely plays a big role here. But you can also help this by drawing the creases and certain bends in the cloth that really show this volume.
The idea is to make it wrap around the character, so you might want to pay attention to the holes in the clothing. ( where the hand comes out, the neck ) all these parts should indicate this thickness. Try to imagine how it wraps on these ends and draw that extra volume. don't just stroke one line. ( you could try a double line. the normal line you are using for the outside rim, and for the inside part that the jacket is going in, you can try a lighter line. it's more of an indication. this line doesn't even have to be completely closed )
Also, consider drawing the seams. this helps indicate the volume too.

Next comes where you put creases. the one on the chest is a little bit odd. and the lines going over the chest over the part where there should be buttons is also odd. remember that those are different sides of the clothing which is not directly attached. only indirectly and therefore I should be able to sense them either being close to each other with a gap... or over each other.

I will not go into critique for the lines yet since that's like the last thing you want to focus on. :)

The belt is also really flat. it's just a line. Think of the end where the belt wraps around the waist. there will be some thickness to it. needless to say, the litte pocket bag there can also use some more work.

in any case, keep up the good work. I definitely like the way this is going. ;)

As a bonus.. i'll leave you this little tutorial on clothing. It has many good tips in it. You don't have to read it all. just looking at the images will give you a good idea of what all is the idea.
Spoiler: show
http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Clothing-Folds-1-176116285
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:36 pm

Zjacklee

alnoth wrote:i think since the wind is pushing her hair so much to the side, it should be doing the same with her skirt - would give the image a better flow...

normally I would agree with that but from an artistic point of view right now ( of bending some rules of nature ) i think the flow is good the way it is. It's making a circle. follow the clouds, the birds, the hair to the skirt. it's making you go round and round. I kinda like that.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Return to Critique This!