Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Kurt » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Kurt

Subject title: Pencil drawing

I mean i know its poorly drawn. The reflection is bad. I used a mechanical pencil for the whole thing. It is unfinished though and i just wanted to see what people thought about it. Took me about 4 hours and its from observation
Xbox controller.jpg

Postby Total100 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:18 pm

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

you might want to think values. not just the object but around the object.
for example. how dark is the reflection comapired to the actuall table and the controler. is the reflection darker or lighter then the actual surfice its on (table). a refelction is normally lighter then the actual object unless there is a black table. then you might want to go in and draw the table. or how light is the controler compaired to the wall? if the wall is darker then you might want to add some black to make it pop out. little value compairing. what catches my eye though is why the reflection is darker then the controler? it doesnt seem correct.

very very nice job on the drawing though. a+
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby Kurt » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Kurt

good point. its a black glass drawing table. i didnt spend the time adding the value of that and i was gonna throw a cup in there for another object but someone moved the cup and I dont know how bad i want to continue it lol. But yeah I could throw a high horizon of the table in there so it looks more like its looking down on the controller, then add the table value. The values on the controller are tough because the controller itself is white.

Postby Hoopy McSquirt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:40 am

Hoopy McSquirt

Lol I really love the "graphics options" box! :lol:

With the glass, if you draw a line through the longest edges of the circle on top, it should more horizontal than it is now, unless you're trying to do something with perspective but it doesn't look right to me.

I agree with the reflection being too dark, however you do have a really good range of values from light to dark which makes the controller look quite convincingly 3-dimensional, even if the proportions are off. One thing you can do to make it even more "3D looking" is to lighten up the contour lines around the controller and have the edges defined only by value, because in real you do not see those dark lines around the object.
Check out my latest song 'n' stuff on my Newgrounds account: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/519770

Postby Pascarigudum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:34 am

Pascarigudum

Hehehe the options made me laugh!

Now, this is good practice, all i have to say is that you should keep trying to do it with the "proportion setting on", because values and shadows only really make sense when in relation to form. You learn one and you will get better with the other.

That said, this is not looking bad. Keep going!
http://gabriel-dias.deviantart.com/

"Art, like morality, consists in drawing the line somewhere." G. K. Chesterton

Postby Kurt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:21 am

Kurt

lol yeah, of course i did add the proportions thing after noticing that what should have been parallel lines was angled in towards each other. The xbox button and start and select buttons compared to the bottom of the controller should be the same angle. For drawing like this from now on i think ill do them kind of like a figure drawing study. Like draw the lines of what should be parallel and whatnot. I just kind of started drawing on this one. My other question is, should i submit this to Ringling as part of my portfolio?

Postby Zjacklee » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:09 am

Zjacklee

Kurt wrote:lol yeah, of course i did add the proportions thing after noticing that what should have been parallel lines was angled in towards each other. The xbox button and start and select buttons compared to the bottom of the controller should be the same angle. For drawing like this from now on i think ill do them kind of like a figure drawing study. Like draw the lines of what should be parallel and whatnot. I just kind of started drawing on this one. My other question is, should i submit this to Ringling as part of my portfolio?

Portfolio? No man. I don't think so. Not yet. ( ofcourse the option is yours, and it also depends on which market you are going to target. )
nothing in your portfolio should seem as a study. it should be something you are confident about the quality and also a work that is completely done.
you just said that:" I just kind of started drawing on this one". That doesn't sound very confident. Right now there are things you know that can be fixed or better... it's your duty as an artist to address these issues first. And then when you have the feeling of... alright! i've done all I can here ( for now )... then we can talk about portfolio.

So what market are you looking to address?
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Kurt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:50 pm

Kurt

Well the portfolio is for ringling college of art and design. I think i want to go for illustration. But They said that all of the work in the portfolios doesnt have to be complete. I still dont really know what to fix about this image though. I can see something wrong with the right stick but i dont know what it is. I was looking at it from a top down perspective but I probably moved too much while i was drawing it. Im really not sure what the problem is.

Also you guys should scroll down in the forum and check out the one labeled shaman painting and tell me what you think about that.

Postby Roger » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:53 pm

Roger

Portfolios are supposed to show progression. Not something fancy right off the bat. Especially if its for a school. I don't go to my client and show them the most amazing designs I've created, I do that when I make it for them. And then I'm hooked onto their contact list.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Postby Zjacklee » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:23 pm

Zjacklee

Roger wrote:Portfolios are supposed to show progression. Not something fancy right off the bat. Especially if its for a school. I don't go to my client and show them the most amazing designs I've created, I do that when I make it for them. And then I'm hooked onto their contact list.

i've once heard one of those people that check through the portfolio that they do focus on the quality.
Some things that you as the artist have to keep in mind is that these people scan over 10's to 100 of these almost daily. if your work is not at it's top... chances are small they are willing to see more of you.

key things to remember when presenting a portfolio:
- do not include studies. they are not interested in your progression. they want to know what kind of work they can expect from you.
- do not include fanart. they want you to create original work. if you have fanart... it could be annoying for their projects. they will be wondering if you can really draw well or copy well. Are you creative enough? and it would be troublesome if you turn out to copy stuff and put it in their projects.
- do not include offensive material. It can be for instance the Nazi sign. some people can be offended by it.
- extreme blood and gore are also a no go. At least not the in detail massacre.

other things to keep in mind is that you should have like 20 to 25 pieces in your folio.
your 5 best at the front and 5 best at the back. Those will be the ones that get the most attention when they just quickly go through it. they will remember the front and they will remember the back.

- good things to have in a folio is a project. images that seem to go together.

keep in mind too that your folio goes through different scans. the first ones that check it which aren't the art directors... they check for those "totally no goes" in a folio. and after this first quick scan... the ones that pass are sent to the art directors.

One more thing to think about is.... depending on who you are trying to impress with your folio... depends what kind of work you will include.
If i want to get into sci-fi... sending awesomely painted dragons or humans wont be enough. Cause they will be asking if you can also draw sci-fi. cause that's what they want.

For school.... this is a different story which I have absolutely no idea. I suppose for school you have to show that you are actively working on your skills to improve.
then the studies become more appealing to include. You might want to consider checking on their website for pointers or fellow students you can ask for tips.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Return to Critique This!