Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby barbuse » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:56 pm

barbuse

Subject title: Perspective issue

Hi everyone!
I'm actually trying to paint a dragon's head but I've a problem with the perspective :/ I can see there's a problem but I can't really tell what and how to correct it.
Here's the painting:
Dragon 3.jpg

And the painting with the initial sketch (I changed it a bit while painting):
Dragon 3_Sketch.jpg

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Zjacklee

Hey there.
I gave it a quick look and analysed some parts of it that stood out the most to me.
I made construction lines over it to see the forms and check the planes, if they follow the same perspective, symmetry... etc etc.

I made the notes on the painting itself. Hope this helps. any more questions feel free to ask.
the green lines are for the perspective. If they are facing different directions, then your shape is going to be odd. at the moment it's the front and back having different angles of view. ( see green lines on image )

there are some asymmetries here and there too. like the ridge over the eye on his right side is lower then the left side. ( see blue lines on figure )
also i'm wondering if you intended for it's mouth to be pointy. is that so?
furthermore the lower jaw... the curves don't exactly match on both sides.
the horn is also oddly places imo.
i forgot to put this too in the image below. but if you try to follow the horns, where they are placed in the image, then they have a different perspective then the head too.

good luck again. ;)
Dragon 3_Sketch Copy.jpg
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby barbuse » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:31 pm

barbuse

Ok thanks for your help :) I'll try to correct it :)

Return to Critique This!