Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Total100 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:24 pm

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

Subject title: Epic Skateboard angle :D

I need help :(
i have been working on this for half of a day and i am getting really frustrated. i decided to sleep on it and see it in the morning with a new fresh eye but it didnt help.
so this is what i'v got.
i need help with the forshortning and perspective. i want this dramatic warped angle and i spent a hour on the first leg :/ but the back leg keeps looking weird and off perspective. so i need help. i have redrawn the back leg in so many poses and perspectives i just cant get it right!. :lol:

NOTE: sorry its rotated a bit to the side. turn your head to the left to see it correctly. its sketchy but what it is is a guy (dare devil) jumping with a crown under him

EDIT: there are a ton of things wrong so dont bother lol. i see now what i did wrong. thanks for the help :)
Last edited by Total100 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby alnoth » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:52 pm

alnoth

idk, since you say he is "jumping"... he really just looks as if he is riding his skateboard, but he is just about to lose it - he is falling. check where his center of gravity is vs to where his feet are.

same deal as jacklees sword fighter chick.

oh and btw, the same amount that you foreshortened one foot vs the other, thats how much you should foreshorten the skateboard too...

Postby Total100 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:58 pm

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

alnoth wrote:idk, since you say he is "jumping"... he really just looks as if he is riding his skateboard, but he is just about to lose it - he is falling. check where his center of gravity is vs to where his feet are.

same deal as jacklees sword fighter chick.

oh and btw, the same amount that you foreshortened one foot vs the other, thats how much you should foreshorten the skateboard too...

okay. i just realized something myself, the skateboard is HUGE. if his legs are that far appart the skateboard need to be smaller. im probobly going to restart this :/ i dont see it getting better anytime soon. to many things are wrong. thanks though :) also ill keep in mind the jumping part.
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby Leluach » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:53 pm

Leluach

The board itself isnt in perspective. It is waay 2 big. and it goes smaller at back. and btw look at the legs. imagine that image without anyhing else but legs. your upperbody is too low. when you refix it, that upper body need more space than what you have in the image.

Edit: i looked wrong yes you have the space to do upper body. you must like double the upperbody size? i think.

Postby Total100 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:14 pm

Total100

Leluach wrote:The board itself isnt in perspective. It is waay 2 big. and it goes smaller at back. and btw look at the legs. imagine that image without anyhing else but legs. your upperbody is too low. when you refix it, that upper body need more space than what you have in the image.

Edit: i looked wrong yes you have the space to do upper body. you must like double the upperbody size? i think.

okay thanks a lot. i see a ton of things wrong now. like the head height of him, the board size. a lot of things lol. thanks.
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby marvel57 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:24 pm

marvel57

Total get a "fish-eye" view photo of a skater for reference. Do you say that you NEVER use reference, or is it someone else here? :ugeek:

Postby Total100 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Total100

marvel57 wrote:Total get a "fish-eye" view photo of a skater for reference. Do you say that you NEVER use reference, or is it someone else here? :ugeek:

hmm no but i should do it more often. i just find it take the creative fun process away. but in this case your right.
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:35 pm

Ambiguity

Total100 wrote:
marvel57 wrote:Total get a "fish-eye" view photo of a skater for reference. Do you say that you NEVER use reference, or is it someone else here? :ugeek:

hmm no but i should do it more often. i just find it take the creative fun process away. but in this case your right.

So draw your gesture or even manikin and correct with reference before fleshing it out.

Postby alnoth » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:49 am

alnoth

this was fleshed out? :shock:

Postby Total100 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:07 pm

Total100

alnoth wrote:this was fleshed out? :shock:

this wasnt really fleshed out. just bulked out
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:45 pm

Ambiguity

alnoth wrote:this was fleshed out? :shock:

I didn't say this was, I said he should use reference before he does.

Postby Zjacklee » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:03 pm

Zjacklee

Hey dude,

there is one thing I notice in all your sketches that you should work on.
the fluidity and organic feeling of your characters. You make them way too straight and stiff. If you could add some curves. like the spine and even the limbs, it might help to get a more natural feeling.
Spoiler: show

try googling more gesture drawings and check how they usually do it. there is no official "right" way to do it. it's very personal. but if you can get that natural flow down, would be pretty cool.
gppd luck!
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Return to Critique This!