Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby 1mannwolfpak » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:38 pm

1mannwolfpak

Subject title: critique my digital painting/portrait attempt from reference

this is my first post and I'm unsure of what exactly to ask for critique on in this forum. So here's my digital painting attempt, any critique that leads me in the right direction and makes my digital painting better will be greatly appreciated.

"You can use this for a video critique"
Screen Shot 2013-01-28 at 2.23.08 PM.png

Postby Total100 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:04 am

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

well first off i see that the image is a under view. we see the bottom of his nose and so on. on your painting your view is front view. so yours is front view, his is up view.

also you need some more light tones. for example look at his top left forehead. in the image its very light. almost white. in yours its a bit more bland and dull.
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby Zjacklee » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:35 pm

Zjacklee

Hey dude,

I think you are seeing but you aren't really looking. I agree with what Total100 has said so far.
It seems as if you are drawing what you think there should be there and not how it really looks there.
Examples would be... there is a very clear shadow over his nose... why didn't you paint it?
his eyes appear allot darker in the picture that you can barely see his pupils... still you chose to clearly paint them.
you drew a front view instead of a slightly low angle viewpoint.
There is barely any hair on the side of his head, but you have a very clear thick bit of painted hair.
the distance in between the eyes is also way to wide. It's more then one eye distance. check it in your reference and compare.
I can continue with a couple of more examples... but are you getting what I mean?

( I assume you are trying to paint exactly what's there right? )

Now if I were to look at only the painting... It's not a bad painting buddy. except for the little distance in between the eyes that made the face slightly wide,
I think it looks good. It could use some more definition, darker values and lighter values to show more depth.

Keep it up in any case dude. ;)
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Waveloop » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:12 pm

Waveloop

You should tackle composition and value for it to pop... cuz no offense dude, but it is pretty boring despite being decently painted... right now it looks like a sticker... has no dept to it... and it is uninteresting.
put some background value to pop it up... change the lay out, and add some stuff from your own mind to make it more interesting, like draw some of random placed hairs on his head and face, exaggerate his expression, or the shadows on his face... something

but that's just me

keep it up

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:13 pm

Ambiguity

Waveloop wrote:You should tackle composition and value for it to pop... cuz no offense dude, but it is pretty boring despite being decently painted... right now it looks like a sticker... has no dept to it... and it is uninteresting.
put some background value to pop it up... change the lay out, and add some stuff from your own mind to make it more interesting, like draw some of random placed hairs on his head and face, exaggerate his expression, or the shadows on his face... something

but that's just me

keep it up

Normally I'd agree, but I think he's doing this more as a study for himself than an actual "portfolio piece".

Postby Waveloop » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Waveloop

Ambiguity wrote:Normally I'd agree, but I think he's doing this more as a study for himself than an actual "portfolio piece".

even better... I would list those things in "to study" in a "portrait attempt from reference" like the title says. And I don't see the harm in making things look... better.
But more importantly it just tickles my OCD to see it like that :D
I feel you though ;)

Postby marvel57 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:39 pm

marvel57

It looks like your subject has changed races and gained weight, was that a goal for this drawing? Use your own eyes to compare, if you want an exact copy, keep working :D :ugeek:

Postby Zjacklee » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:26 am

Zjacklee

marvel57 wrote:It looks like your subject has changed races and gained weight, was that a goal for this drawing? Use your own eyes to compare, if you want an exact copy, keep working :D :ugeek:

Hahaha! good comment!
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Williham24 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:35 am

Williham24

marvel57 wrote:It looks like your subject has changed races and gained weight, was that a goal for this drawing? Use your own eyes to compare, if you want an exact copy, keep working :D :ugeek:

He reminds me of a bearded Biggie Smalls haha!

On the beard front, the beard in the reference looks very kind of fluffy (probably because it's curly) and so does the hair, and yours looks a little flat, maybe that's just me anyway :? But yeah, it does look like you aren't really copying the image very well, you should spend twice as long looking at your reference than you do looking at your drawing, at least that's what the life drawing person said haha :lol:
Hi I'm Will :) I'm 17 and I want to do illustration :)
'Paint a little less of the facts and a little more of the spirit'

My bad sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6729

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:04 am

Ambiguity

Williham24 wrote:you should spend twice as long looking at your reference than you do looking at your drawing, at least that's what the life drawing person said haha :lol:

I've heard that too, are you talking about Matt Archambault?

Postby Williham24 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:09 pm

Williham24

Oh no haha, when I did life drawing outside of school the woman said that, mind you I still sucked at it :oops:
Hi I'm Will :) I'm 17 and I want to do illustration :)
'Paint a little less of the facts and a little more of the spirit'

My bad sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6729

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:10 am

Ambiguity

Williham24 wrote:Oh no haha, when I did life drawing outside of school the woman said that, mind you I still sucked at it :oops:

Ah, I guess it's just a common thing for life drawing teachers to say then.

Postby perkexpert » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:38 pm

perkexpert

Hi Wolfman,

Good start there, not much to add to the other posts, some points: Stay away from the airbrush and just keep working and observing. I did a lightly caricatured version of the reference (you?)
and tried to go for a clear value approach from the start. I stop now, as i start getting carried away :) Theres a lot to do still, but i hope i can get my points accross: Spend more time on values and forget about the shirt details.
Keep it up man!
repaint_dsmll.jpg
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Return to Critique This!