Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Waveloop » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:43 am

Waveloop

Subject title: heads or tails :)

So this is a sketch I did with Sketchbook Pro... since I guess my photoshop will ever be good again, I was messing around trying out some new methods. I know it's sketchy, and has some errors, like the hand is off... My goal here is composition, style and mainly just a visual mash-up, of color I guess.
Tell me what you think please
renne8.jpg

Postby alnoth » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:16 am

alnoth

i like the piece. i can tell the face is waveloopish, LOL.

im not sure if the hood is one piece with the sweater. if it is, i dont understand the blue color strip that separates it from the rest. also, i dont like the spot of bluish-whitish bit to the right of his hood - as it is a part of the background i dont think it blends as well with the rest of the background.

Postby Scissel » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:34 am

Scissel

I really like this piece especially the colours and the overall composition of the Character, but what I would say is the background for me personally doesn't help at all whilst the colours are interesting, the way they are placed is distracting and I think you could get something alot more interesting to compliment the character.

Postby Total100 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

Its looks great but i dont get the lightsoarce. is it in the middle of the frame? what is it? maybe have the coin be the middle of the lightsoarce to make your eye travel to that? also just a idea, if the hoodie is hoodie add a zipper pulling thingy and ifs its a sweatshirt add some strings going with the wind :)
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Zjacklee

Nice concept bro.
The saturation of your colors is a bit high though. (the hoody is what draw's most of my attention towards it's saturation )

Also there is something pretty cool and interesting happening in this painting. I don't know if it has happened to any of you or if it's just my eyes... but there is like some kind of visual illusion in it for me. When I look at the "white" in the clothing while staring at the dude's general face area the white is light but as soon as I hover my eyes lower it suddenly seems as if the color is lighting up with a fire type of light. ( it's a bit difficult to explain but let's say I experience a color change in your painting depending where I focus. I have never experienced this before. )
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Waveloop » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:29 pm

Waveloop

Scissel wrote:I really like this piece especially the colours and the overall composition of the Character, but what I would say is the background for me personally doesn't help at all whilst the colours are interesting, the way they are placed is distracting and I think you could get something alot more interesting to compliment the character.

It's not only meant to distract, but also to disturb...

Total100 wrote:Its looks great but i dont get the lightsoarce. is it in the middle of the frame? what is it? maybe have the coin be the middle of the lightsoarce to make your eye travel to that? also just a idea, if the hoodie is hoodie add a zipper pulling thingy and ifs its a sweatshirt add some strings going with the wind :)

That is not the light source... The background is just a color theme, to add to the visual trip that is intended. And there is no wind, it would seem strange for the strings to be waving around when not else is, although I could put some stationary ones to make a point :D
As for the coin, since it's yellow, it contrasts better better in that red spot, cuz against the yellow... well... it doesn't! :roll:

Zjacklee wrote:Nice concept bro.
The saturation of your colors is a bit high though. (the hoody is what draw's most of my attention towards it's saturation )

Also there is something pretty cool and interesting happening in this painting. I don't know if it has happened to any of you or if it's just my eyes... but there is like some kind of visual illusion in it for me. When I look at the "white" in the clothing while staring at the dude's general face area the white is light but as soon as I hover my eyes lower it suddenly seems as if the color is lighting up with a fire type of light. ( it's a bit difficult to explain but let's say I experience a color change in your painting depending where I focus. I have never experienced this before. )

Yeah I probably over did it saturation wise... I'll turn it down a notch.

As for the visual illusion you refer to, that was the idea... I wanted to create a visual trip, pointing out the slight insanity of the character. And that is right, the reflection on the training jacket (by the way) is suppose to reminisce fire.
I guess I wanted a acid trip like reaction to this :lol:

Postby perkexpert » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:48 pm

perkexpert

HI Waveloop,

nice pose, as always, very nice sketching. In my opinion, the colors dont really match and the values on the shirt are way too bright. If i squint my eyes, the painting doesnt read.
I personally would also go for some clear light source and have a more simple color-scheme. I tried to quickly paint in some adjustments in value and color. But as always, experimentation is extremely valuable.
The idea of going for a storytelling element through color is very cool, but if the values are off, your whole painting will suffer. So id do some color-keys for displaying madness or insanity. Should be fun, maybe ill
get some going and im eager to see what you come up next with!
Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby Zjacklee » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Zjacklee

^I gotta say, that I find perkexperts approach on this to be very appealing.

Postby Waveloop » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:54 am

Waveloop

perkexpert wrote:HI Waveloop,

nice pose, as always, very nice sketching. In my opinion, the colors dont really match and the values on the shirt are way too bright. If i squint my eyes, the painting doesnt read.
I personally would also go for some clear light source and have a more simple color-scheme. I tried to quickly paint in some adjustments in value and color. But as always, experimentation is extremely valuable.
The idea of going for a storytelling element through color is very cool, but if the values are off, your whole painting will suffer. So id do some color-keys for displaying madness or insanity. Should be fun, maybe ill
get some going and im eager to see what you come up next with!

Thanks man! Really digging that...
But I wasn't really worried about value accuracy in this one, it was more of a abstract emotional color contrast experience. I actually used a marker brush, and just filled it with color with two or trhee colors, has it came to me, so value range went out the window right from the start :D . But yeah my usual approach would be something like what you just did there, and your overdraw is really helpful, cuz I struggle a lot with it... I'll do something in those lines, and try to mixed it with my own crazy ideas :D
Thanks again

Postby Waveloop » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Waveloop

so I did a couple of new versions, again not going for correct here, just exploring. I kinda like the last one.
Witch one do you guys prefer?
if any! :roll:
crazy4.jpg
crazy3.jpg
crazy5.jpg

Postby Minako008 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:21 pm

Minako008

As always, you knowledge of anatomy is really good! But one thing about the coloring, maybe its a good idea to avoid using colors close to white when you painting light? It makes the picture kinda pale. Just a guess.

Postby Total100 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:57 am

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

the middle one is the best one imo. awesome job!
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby marvel57 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:46 am

marvel57

Wave-I'll go with the original, but the realism touch on the last 2 was cool as well :ugeek:

Postby Waveloop » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Waveloop

marvel57 wrote:Wave-I'll go with the original, but the realism touch on the last 2 was cool as well :ugeek:

My man Marvel... hi5 to that ;)

yeah I kida do too... the strokes are pure, since it was done in one layer all the way :lol:

but anyways I'm calling this one. All and all, for an experiment turn out decent enough for my intentions. It could use some cleaning up... but his creepy smile is starting to affect me... time to move to something pretty :D

I'm going with this one for the conclusion

Thak you y'all
crazy2.jpg
Last edited by Waveloop on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby Waveloop » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:22 pm

Waveloop

Minako008 wrote:As always, you knowledge of anatomy is really good! But one thing about the coloring, maybe its a good idea to avoid using colors close to white when you painting light? It makes the picture kinda pale. Just a guess.

Yeah you're right it is kinda foggy ... but thats because I abused of the airbrush. Whites are fine though you ca use white, but properly, I agree I didn't :oops: ... don't be afraid of the whiteside :lol:

Postby Zjacklee » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:42 pm

Zjacklee

I think I like this new approach more then the previous one.
If I had to choose in between these 3 I think I like the idea of the last one best... But!! I'd like if you could change the edge of the dark part in the background behind the guy. It seems like a cheap and sloppy way to use a brush. ( I don't mean this in a bad way, just that it's not something someone with your skill should be doing. :) )
So if that can be fixed in any way... i'll bet my lunch money on that one. 8-)

Edit: this was posted before seeing the final post. x)

Postby Nipponkage » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Nipponkage

Just a thought, you know when you posted three in one post? well why don't you do that last one but instead of white do black? It would be like seeing him in a dark room and with a face like that I think that would freak anyone out.

Postby Total100 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:15 pm

Total100

Nipponkage wrote:Just a thought, you know when you posted three in one post? well why don't you do that last one but instead of white do black? It would be like seeing him in a dark room and with a face like that I think that would freak anyone out.

hmm that would look cool
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Return to Critique This!