Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Williham24 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Williham24

Subject title: Digital Painting - My Second

Hello everyone. I have been dabbling in digital painting recently and I came up with this :? I decided that I should probably work on my faces, so I tried aha :lol: Did this in a trial version of Photoshop CS6, only got 18 days left :( :cry: Anyways, fire away :) Any critiques would be extremely helpful :)
Face Study 3.jpg
Hi I'm Will :) I'm 17 and I want to do illustration :)
'Paint a little less of the facts and a little more of the spirit'

My bad sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6729

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:45 pm

Ambiguity

Anatomy and proportions could use work could use some work. Heads usually divide more or less into perfect thirds; the bottom of the chin to the bottom of the nose, the bottom of the nose to the brow ridge, and the brow ridge to the hair line should all be equal in length. The cheek bone is also too low, the eyes are too big, and the mouth is too high imo. Stylizing can change a lot of this, but these things don't look like they were done purposefully. As for the anatomy, ears don't look like that, they have a very specific shape; you'll just have to study them.

Postby Cabla » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:06 pm

Cabla

Ambiguity already mentioned some things that need to be fixed so I won't go into that. I want to suggest one thing though. If you don't already...

Flip your canvas.

It really helps you see mistakes. We all can tell when somethings is off in a human face but it can be hard to tell what exactly is wrong if our brains get so used to seeing the mistakes.

Postby perkexpert » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:27 pm

perkexpert

Hi there, good start, i'd also add that you should work values first after establishing a solid value base you might go to color. Work in black and white only.
Id also recommend working on the planes of the head, putting in dots of value here and there will not make for a strong statement. Anyhow, establishing a
3D Form with values is a hard task, keep practicing. Also: Try to see the skull underneath, your drawing shows some shortcomings there. keep it going.
By the way, adobe offers a students and teachers edition for around 200€ here might be 200$ in amerika. So if you are hooked, you might spend that (if you could
get your hands on some students license...pardon just read your comment :) ), or do it like me be lucky with your old PS7 version :)
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby perkexpert » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:50 pm

perkexpert

Done a quick paintover to point out some things i would go different about
- reduced saturation
- general feature placement
- rough value scheme
redone copy.jpg
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/