Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Williham24 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:05 pm

Williham24

Subject title: Help for digital painting

The nose definitely does look better now :) as for the teeth, you could, make the shading more curved round within the teeth, it's hard to describe, so if someone else can show it please do :)
But I'll try and show it in punctuation! 8-)

Now if you make the shading kinda follow the shape of an on it's side bracket, it might look more curved -

<))))) <---- Imagine the tooth is the small arrow and the brackets are shading, like that.

I think that was pretty much the weirdest demonstration of something I have ever done :lol:
Hi I'm Will :) I'm 17 and I want to do illustration :)
'Paint a little less of the facts and a little more of the spirit'

My bad sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6729

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:16 pm

Ambiguity

barbuse wrote:I don't know, I just think its doesn't look as round as it's supposed to be, specialy the right one.

Think of how you would shade a simple cylinder, that's how you should shade the teeth.

Postby Williham24 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Williham24

Ambiguity wrote:
barbuse wrote:I don't know, I just think its doesn't look as round as it's supposed to be, specialy the right one.

Think of how you would shade a simple cylinder, that's how you should shade the teeth.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense than what I said :lol:

Postby barbuse » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:05 am

barbuse

Ahah, yeah I hope you haven't done worst :P but I'll try to change that tonight and then put some colours :)

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:56 pm

Ambiguity

Williham24 wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:

I should have said cones instead of cylinders, but I think he got the point(no pun intended) haha.

Postby Zjacklee » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Zjacklee

Ambiguity wrote:
Williham24 wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:

I should have said cones instead of cylinders, but I think he got the point(no pun intended) haha.

HAhAhahaha :lol: !!!! I think I laughed allot more about this then I should have had.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:27 pm

Ambiguity

Zjacklee wrote:HAhAhahaha :lol: !!!! I think I laughed allot more about this then I should have had.

Don't worry, so did I lol. I didn't even realize I had made a pun till I read it again.

Postby barbuse » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:09 pm

barbuse

Ahah that made me laugh a lot too :P
Well here's what I did this weekend on the orc:
Orc_V6.jpg

I tried to redefine a bit more the teeth and also darken the right side of the face because it looked to much like the left one.
And here's a first color version (haven't spent much time on it yet):
Orc_V6_color.jpg

Postby Zjacklee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:24 pm

Zjacklee

Is there a reason you didn't give him a cheek on his left side?

Postby barbuse » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:20 pm

barbuse

Zjacklee wrote:Is there a reason you didn't give him a cheek on his left side?

No, no reason, I need to correct that. thanks :)

Postby Total100 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:41 pm

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

whoa! cool icon! i was like "who is this new guy with a ton of posts everywhere?" and then i saw the same. :lol:
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby Zjacklee » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:00 am

Zjacklee

barbuse wrote:

No, no reason, I need to correct that. thanks :)

No problem.

Also, to Total100... Yea, I thought it was time to change that avatar to something wicked. 8-)

Postby barbuse » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:50 pm

barbuse

Here's the new version; I tried to had him a left cheek which wasn't easy.
Orc_V7.jpg

Postby Brian Kouhi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:11 pm

Brian Kouhi

Starting to look really good, i specially love the shading on his nose and his teeth, but in my opinion the face looks Asymmetrical :/ not sure if that's how you want it to be or not. great work, keep it up.
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby barbuse » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:04 am

barbuse

Brian Kouhi wrote:Starting to look really good, i specially love the shading on his nose and his teeth, but in my opinion the face looks Asymmetrical :/ not sure if that's how you want it to be or not. great work, keep it up.

Thanks :) yes his face is supposed to look asymmetrical and misshapen as it's an orc and it makes him more wicked :)

Postby Zjacklee » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:21 am

Zjacklee

barbuse wrote:
Brian Kouhi wrote:Starting to look really good, i specially love the shading on his nose and his teeth, but in my opinion the face looks Asymmetrical :/ not sure if that's how you want it to be or not. great work, keep it up.

Thanks :) yes his face is supposed to look asymmetrical and misshapen as it's an orc and it makes him more wicked :)

Lol, I thought he was just making an expression which tends to make the face a bit more asymmetric then normal.
I don't think it's that huge of a problem here either for an asymmetric face.
In reality, everyone has asymmetric faces. Just not always very visible.

Postby Waveloop » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:16 pm

Waveloop

Hello again gang... I'm back from a long absence to make up for lost time.

this is really bothering me... he doesn't have a left cheekbone, please correct that it is firing up my OCD.... :D
I would darken and define more the eye area, those shadows should be a littel darker, it will also add to his menacing look . Also I wouldn't go with so much definition on the clavicles, it looks artificial.
The problem with the teeth i my opinion, is that your making sharp edges... I guess if you what them to look triangular, that's actually not bad, but if you want them to look rounded, with a cone line shape, then you have to make those shadows more gradient.

Postby Waveloop » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:21 pm

Waveloop

my bad... I see almost everything I said was corrected in the new update...

looking a lot better now

Postby barbuse » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:32 pm

barbuse

Waveloop wrote:my bad... I see almost everything I said was corrected in the new update...

looking a lot better now

Ahah no problem, thanks for your comment anyway :)
Here's what I did tonight, played a bit with colors and the background (the color of the light on his skin is pretty dirty but it was just to try :P):
Orc_V8.jpg

But I still don't really know what I'm gonna do with the eyes...

Postby Total100 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:23 pm

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

wow very very nice job. you have gotten way better since the first post. it looks really cool amazing job! i like the highlights dark. it adds to the effect of evil or darkness. some ideas, add a highlight in the eye. even if the eyes are in shadow you might wanna put a highlight on the pupil. also maybe give more a shine to the earing? i see a small highlight but it doesnt pop out much. its still a bit mid toned. maybe add a white border following the light source on the side of the ear ring?
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby Nipponkage » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:14 pm

Nipponkage

I agree with total, however I think that the thing casting the shadow is missing some of its own. I would show you what I mean but I don't what to mess up your picture or take it without your permission.

Postby barbuse » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:19 pm

barbuse

Total100 wrote:wow very very nice job. you have gotten way better since the first post. it looks really cool amazing job! i like the highlights dark. it adds to the effect of evil or darkness. some ideas, add a highlight in the eye. even if the eyes are in shadow you might wanna put a highlight on the pupil. also maybe give more a shine to the earing? i see a small highlight but it doesnt pop out much. its still a bit mid toned. maybe add a white border following the light source on the side of the ear ring?

Nipponkage wrote:I agree with total, however I think that the thing casting the shadow is missing some of its own. I would show you what I mean but I don't what to mess up your picture or take it without your permission.

I don't really see what you mean but you're very welcome to use my picture to show it to me :)

Postby Nipponkage » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Nipponkage

Here's what I mean (note I used paint.net, which is not too good for blending)
Orc_V8.jpg
Yours
Orc_V82.jpg
Here's mine, with what I think would improve yours. Note how the bottom lip is darker than it was previously (this is from guessing your light source is from the top left, is that right?)

Postby Williham24 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:13 pm

Williham24

I personally think that you need to add more highlights. Your values right now are all quite dark. You've got midtones and you've got all the right dark values, but the lights are almost no existent. Even if it is meant to be a moody kind of scene, it might help if you added some really light values to maybe the top of the head?
You've improved LOADS though dude! Well done!

Postby barbuse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 pm

barbuse

Thanks you both for your comments guys :) I didn't have much time this weekend to work on it but I will tomorrow and try my best to improve it :)
But I've to say, knowing it's my first proper digital art work, I'm quite happy with what I've done so far and I learned a lot from it and that's also because of you guys on the forum so thanks :)

PreviousNext

Return to Critique This!