Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Jeffrey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:17 am

Jeffrey

Subject title: tattoo

Hi forum! 8-)

My friend requested a second tattoo from me, and he wanted an angel about life and death,
with one side death and the other side living stuff, so i drew what he wanted.

This is still a sketch so allot of things will change.

Things i know:

Her right arm is to short.
Her left arm should be long.
The left side of her is to evil.

The tattoo is on his back and the wings flow over in his upper arms.
The tattoo artist will draw it over to fit his back even better.
angel.jpg

Postby Zjacklee » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:42 am

Zjacklee

It's too soon here for me to point out anything specific besides what you already know about the arm.
So far I do like what i see! Looking good. :)

The only thing I can comment about now is the right angelic wing. Make sure the wing has the proper anatomy. Right now it seems like it might end up missing a bone. I can't see it well for the devil/bat wing either.

Also one more remark. Is the character supposed to be androgynous? I can't tell if it's a girl or a guy.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Waveloop » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:29 am

Waveloop

cool!

I would maybe do a little two face madness... But for it not to look sleazy, instead of asymmetrical facial features, I would play a little with the light and cast shadows on the evil side of the face, to make it look creepy... just a thought

Postby Waveloop » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:35 am

Waveloop

Zjacklee wrote:

Also one more remark. Is the character supposed to be androgynous? I can't tell if it's a girl or a guy.

... Z I only see a girl there, not sensing guy aura. I thing you should tone down the estrogen levels on you female drawings, you can't recognize a girl without her having boobs leaking out from everywhere ... :lol: I'm sorry, just kidding, I suffer from the same condition... when drawing ladies I mean.

Postby Brian Kouhi » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:57 am

Brian Kouhi

Bahahahahaha! ^
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby Zjacklee » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:48 am

Zjacklee

Waveloop wrote:
Zjacklee wrote:

... Z I only see a girl there, not sensing guy aura. I thing you should tone down the estrogen levels on you female drawings, you can't recognize a girl without her having boobs leaking out from everywhere ... :lol: I'm sorry, just kidding, I suffer from the same condition... when drawing ladies I mean.

:lol: Hahahaaha!! Well, what can I say? I won't deny I draw what I like to see. 8-)
( and I have drawn them small too... *mumbles* maybe only once ) xD

Postby Total100 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:21 am

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

Zjacklee wrote:
Waveloop wrote:
Zjacklee wrote:

:lol: Hahahaaha!! Well, what can I say? I won't deny I draw what I like to see. 8-)

haha thought you were a girl until i saw you pictures XD
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby Zjacklee » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:56 am

Zjacklee

Total100 wrote:
Zjacklee wrote:
Waveloop wrote:
Zjacklee wrote:

Now that's a first. haha
Maybe a bit off-topic, but what made you think that?

Postby Total100 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:54 pm

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

Zjacklee wrote:
Total100 wrote:
Zjacklee wrote:
Waveloop wrote:
Zjacklee wrote:

Now that's a first. haha
Maybe a bit off-topic, but what made you think that?

lol random but yeah your picture for some reason just gave me that image XD now i know though.
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby Jeffrey » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:22 am

Jeffrey

So i updated the sketch, now working on actually drawing it.
changed some things my friend wanted and some ideas of mine.
the right wing is a different skeleton build then a bird, reason why?
cause bird bones are boring.
need still some changes in the cloths!
angel.jpg
angel2.jpg

Postby Total100 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:49 pm

Total100

hey, hey. :evil: birds have feelings too.

but really the drawing looks really good. one thing i noticed, her right side is demonic and her left side is like an angel. that change is part of her clothes, background and wings. but it also changed her hands. her right hand is demonic and her left had is like an angel. so if that change effects her actual body i think it should effect more then just the hands. either have no hand change and just a normal body or have one half of her face evil and another nice. just a thought :)
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby Zjacklee » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Zjacklee

Maybe you already thought of these, and I can't see all you intend to do yet since it's a sketch:

the trees on the angelic side are full with leaves as I can see, and the tree on the demonic side is without leaves. Watch out that you don't make the angelic side heavier than the demonic side. Maybe add some demonic fire in the tree to balance it. Her angelic wing is also going to be more full and big ( due to feathers ) after all. I would try to get a balance. Maybe different type of clothes each side can help you find the balance.
If I could get a glimpse of her evilness too from the face on the demonic side, It can be nice for the concept. After all, the face is what get's the most attention usually.

(or just a wild idea, to mix the bad and evil at random. that can also suggest that it's all part of 1. and things aren't always as they seem at first. Like an angel wing with demonic face. etc :P)

these are mere quick thoughts and suggestion upon analyzing what I saw. Your the artist... hope this helps. Now go, and make me proud out there. xD

Postby Jeffrey » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:46 am

Jeffrey

You guys might be confused. .. It's not about evil .
It's about life and death.
The right side is slowly dieng , but i want to keep the pretty face.
And you are right about the emptyness... i was thinking about spiderwebs and dust.
The problem is not going to the evil side. ..

Postby Zjacklee » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:28 am

Zjacklee

Jeffrey wrote:You guys might be confused. .. It's not about evil .
It's about life and death.
The right side is slowly dieng , but i want to keep the pretty face.
And you are right about the emptyness... i was thinking about spiderwebs and dust.
The problem is not going to the evil side. ..

Oh yea, I also thought about it that it seemed as if one side was dying. (just wasn't sure)
in that sense, the spiderwebs do sound like a good idea. :)
But a bad wing vs an angelic type of wing, doesn't tell me really life and death. that's the stereotype good and evil. probably what got most of us confused.

Postby Jeffrey » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:53 am

Jeffrey

Another change, if you have any tips leave them here :)
angel.jpg
angel2.jpg

Postby alnoth » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:12 am

alnoth

i would also change her hair so that on the death-half it is less like vidal-sassoon commercial and more like a banshee hairdo...

Postby marvel57 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:34 am

marvel57

Jeffery- I think maybe the problem is that it's for a tattoo.Being a tattoo most people want a pretty face on the chick. They don't usuallywant an disfigured face, regardless of the theme. That's part of your dilemma IMO. Great looking drawing so far :ugeek:

Postby Dream » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:46 am

Dream

About the death wing, maybe include a bit of decaying/rotting skin along the bone structure? Then again maybe that's what the lines between the bones are. You might also want to do the dead wing with a bird-like structure (like the live side's) but just the bones and anything else you'd want to add. Also, like Marvel you might want to alter the hair on the dead side a bit, not necesarily like a banshee hairdo but something a bit more dead or less healthy.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby Total100 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:39 pm

Total100

i love how you did the wing. also maybe make her arm a skeleton or have it rotting.
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby Zjacklee » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Zjacklee

Not bad so far. I got a couple of questions.
what is the hand on the decaying side really trying to say? I can't really get a clear message from it.
And how do you feel about symmetrical wings? ( just the pose )
Since it's a tattoo and it's going to embrace the shoulders.(from what i remember)

I think what you intended to do was to lead the eye of the viewer via the angelic wing(which got more attention at first) to the decaying side. But right now as I look at it... it feels as if the decaying wing is getting more attention then anything now. It is higher then everything in the composition and the hand keeps leading me to it. The big negative space might also be contributing to that... I dunno.

Hope this helps in any way.

Postby kocab22 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:11 pm

kocab22

What is that finger aiming at is the question :)

Postby Jeffrey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:17 pm

Jeffrey

Zjacklee wrote:Not bad so far. I got a couple of questions.
what is the hand on the decaying side really trying to say? I can't really get a clear message from it.
And how do you feel about symmetrical wings? ( just the pose )
Since it's a tattoo and it's going to embrace the shoulders.(from what i remember)

I think what you intended to do was to lead the eye of the viewer via the angelic wing(which got more attention at first) to the decaying side. But right now as I look at it... it feels as if the decaying wing is getting more attention then anything now. It is higher then everything in the composition and the hand keeps leading me to it. The big negative space might also be contributing to that... I dunno.

Hope this helps in any way.

ty for your tips! It's about life and death and you actually answered your questions and from others very beautiful. The hand is leading me to it ( death ).
She is pointing that direction cause there is no way back, we are all heading that way, and there is nothing we can do.

about the negative space, your right i will fix it with colouring.
and yes guys i'm making the right side more rotten.. but don't touch the face! haha :D my friend want it to be pretty :roll:

Postby Zjacklee » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:43 pm

Zjacklee

aah, I see. glad to be of service. 8-)

Is your friend a girl or a boy? (just curious. lol)
And make sure to post the actual tattoo too when it's so far!

Postby Nipponkage » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:02 pm

Nipponkage

*NOTE THIS ISN'T A CRITIQUE*

Why does this remind me of Urd out of ash my goddess?

Postby Total100 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:24 am

Total100

Nipponkage wrote:*NOTE THIS ISN'T A CRITIQUE*

Why does this remind me of Urd out of ash my goddess?

i dont see the resemblance but OMG haha your read oh my goddess?! :lol:
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Next

Return to Critique This!