Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:55 am

Ambiguity

Subject title: Goblin Madness! Need some critiques or video response!

Brian Kouhi wrote:Thanks Alex :D
i personally want the Core color to show as white, but i cant. i used the same technique Sycra used, and the lightning(screen later) is white, but the color dodge layer(on top of it) is green. I tried moving the Color Doge layer under the Screen layer, but it doesn't look the way i want it to

Hmm, maybe you miss understood him or skipped a step because it seemed to work fine when I tried it on your background:

Postby Brian Kouhi » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:52 pm

Brian Kouhi

Ooooo that looks Amazing! .. I think i'll rewatch the video! thanks ambiguity.
and yea i think i might have missed a step, because i did this i think 2 weeks or more after i watched the video
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby Brian Kouhi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Brian Kouhi

Ambiguity! HOW the heck did u make the lightning look so damn good!? :3
i had to stay in university for a few hours after my class for major selection, and i worked on the Goblin for most of that time. I rewatched the video, re sketched the lightning, and re painted the effect multiple times, and it looks like a pile of crap each time... :<
so anyways heres the updated Version of "The Goblin Mine" <- ( I know I'm amazing at choosing names)
-You guys can ignore the left foot over lapping the rock, im fixing that later on. :twisted:
-Need pointers on the background, Colors perhaps, the Lightning, the Rock being hit by the Lightning spell, and basically anything else you wish to Critique :D
Goblin Warlock V5-Small.jpg
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby Williham24 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:46 am

Williham24

I think one issue is that he isn't really pointing at the rock, and it also looks like it in a different plane to him, like it is further into the background than him, but he is still shooting his lightning bolt straight forward?
Hi I'm Will :) I'm 17 and I want to do illustration :)
'Paint a little less of the facts and a little more of the spirit'

My bad sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6729

Postby Total100 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

Williham24 wrote:I think one issue is that he isn't really pointing at the rock, and it also looks like it in a different plane to him, like it is further into the background than him, but he is still shooting his lightning bolt straight forward?

oh yeah good point i didnt notice that.
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:06 pm

Ambiguity

Brian Kouhi wrote:Ambiguity! HOW the heck did u make the lightning look so damn good!? :3

Lol, I dunno I just used a big soft round brush with opacity on pen pressure for the color, and a hard round brush with shape dynamics on pen pressure for the actual lightning.

Maybe you should send me your PSD so I can see if you're doing something wrong?

Postby Brian Kouhi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Brian Kouhi

Haha thanks Ambiguity, i tried by realized that my file is 140mb... :? i also tried compressing it by making it into a Zip file but sadly i couldn't get it to anything lower than 70mb :/

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Ambiguity

Upload it to Zippyshare, they allow for up to 200mb per file.

Postby Brian Kouhi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:17 am

Brian Kouhi

I swear im mentally handicapped... It did Not even occur to me that i can have multiple Color dodge layers until you showed me... /facepalm
also, thanks for your help ^_^ :3

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:23 am

Ambiguity

Brian Kouhi wrote:I swear im mentally handicapped... It did Not even occur to me that i can have multiple Color dodge layers until you showed me... /facepalm
also, thanks for your help ^_^ :3
You can do whatever you want as long as it looks good to you haha. That second color dodge layer is actually yours, all I did was lower the opacity. The texture you have in it makes the effect seem more magical than just regular lightning, and the color difference makes the other colors look better to me as well(I was trying to stay pretty true to your original colors on my layers, but I don't think they were working out by themselves).

Glad I was able to help :D.

P.S. If you want a bit more intensity you might try playing with having the multi-colored color dodge layer on top of the screen layer and lowering the opacity a tad so it's not so overbearing.

Postby perkexpert » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:32 pm

perkexpert

Hey Brian,

i feel that the latest adjustments no matter how good they are will help your illustration. in my opinion you should work on composition
first before going into any detail with the figure, let alone "special effects" like the lightning bolts. The setting you have chosen is very difficult, or
easy, as a cave has only artificial lights or outside lights. So lighting is tricky, like think of a flash picture of a cave you might have visited, they all look
not very good. Seeing your illustration in black and white shows the lack of depth and overall readibility in my opinion. Reworking your background which
is not bad in terms of linework, in terms of depth and other artificial light will be not an easy task.
So here are some ideas of what i mean, the last one is from the hobbit :) Keep it going!
thumbnailingz copy.jpg
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby Brian Kouhi » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:11 pm

Brian Kouhi

perkexpert wrote:Hey Brian,

i feel that the latest adjustments no matter how good they are will help your illustration. in my opinion you should work on composition
first before going into any detail with the figure, let alone "special effects" like the lightning bolts. The setting you have chosen is very difficult, or
easy, as a cave has only artificial lights or outside lights. So lighting is tricky, like think of a flash picture of a cave you might have visited, they all look
not very good. Seeing your illustration in black and white shows the lack of depth and overall readibility in my opinion. Reworking your background which
is not bad in terms of linework, in terms of depth and other artificial light will be not an easy task.
So here are some ideas of what i mean, the last one is from the hobbit :) Keep it going!

Wow, those examples are absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for going to this extent to help me improve my work!
As this painting's main goal was to help me improve, this is basically my first real painting attempt in Photoshop.

One other thing i've noticed my painting lacks, is its lack of interaction and Engagement with the viewer, for examples, the .. examples you gave are all very interactive, and gets me curious and makes me ask questions about what the situation is, what is behind the light, hole etc..
but my painting is Very blank.. if that makes sense... not interactive in any way. :| so i was thinking of scrapping the project, not sure though.

All the work i do, are fast paste, i don't have any finished/polished work, just sketches or quick little paintings with little detail(if any), so im in bit of a pickle when it comes to a Portfolio.

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:57 pm

Zjacklee

All the work i do, are fast paste, i don't have any finished/polished work, just sketches or quick little paintings with little detail(if any), so im in bit of a pickle when it comes to a Portfolio.

I say this all the time... take it easy and don't rush it. When it comes to art, it doesn't matter how much time it takes, what matters is the result.
better have one masterpiece and nothing else than 100 pieces that lack the essentials.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Brian Kouhi » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:35 am

Brian Kouhi

Zjacklee wrote:

I say this all the time... take it easy and don't rush it. When it comes to art, it doesn't matter how much time it takes, what matters is the result.
better have one masterpiece and nothing else than 100 pieces that lack the essentials.

Haha... i guess so :) but i think another problem i have is, i dont know how to finish a work. i get the rough down but i don't know how to continue. :|
i lack imagination, something essential for Artists. I've been looking for an inspiration book of some sort, to help boost my imagination. ( i typically never read novels)

Postby Zjacklee » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:51 am

Zjacklee

Brian Kouhi wrote:
Zjacklee wrote:

Haha... i guess so :) but i think another problem i have is, i dont know how to finish a work. i get the rough down but i don't know how to continue. :|
i lack imagination, something essential for Artists. I've been looking for an inspiration book of some sort, to help boost my imagination. ( i typically never read novels)

hmm... when I make art, I never really have a concrete idea either. I just start scribbling, and take my time thinking on what looks nice. slowly the idea's start flowing in.
don't expect to know all the details before you even start working.
Also, make a dummy. save images, paintings, models, color schemes... things you like in it. whenever you don't know what to draw or how to draw it, you will have a place to look for any ideas.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Brian Kouhi » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:31 am

Brian Kouhi

Thanks for the suggestions Lee :)

Postby Kurt » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:39 am

Kurt

The problem with the pose is that both knees are bent. If he were leaning to the side, he would have one leg straightened out away from him a bit, and the other leg would be supporting him a bit and would bend out to where the weight would be. Try getting in the pose and you will see what i mean.

Postby Kurt » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:41 am

Kurt

oh nevermind, you made the leg bend a little better in the digital one. didnt see that

Postby Brian Kouhi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:12 am

Brian Kouhi

lol yea, went through 5 pages of improving it. and yet it still sucks ass. :)

Previous

Return to Critique This!