Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Brian Kouhi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:02 am

Brian Kouhi

Subject title: Goblin Madness! Need some critiques or video response!

Allllright, well i need some oponions for my progress so far, im around 1.5-2 hours in painting right now and heres a pic.
Im most likely going to mess around with the Hue and until i get a color i like, after im nearly done

Also this is basicly my first Legitimate painting on Photoshop. ( i also dont paint or color things often traditionally either)
Goblin Warlock V3-slightly Painted.jpg
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby alnoth » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:08 am

alnoth

just a point towards the technique - i think its better to paint well into the areas that will be "covered" and then just paint over them on a diff layer.

or maybe you did :oops:

Postby Zjacklee » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:25 pm

Zjacklee

Hey man,

one question... where is your light-source really? I can't seem to find it.
It is as if the individual parts of what makes his body, have a different lighting.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Brian Kouhi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:48 pm

Brian Kouhi

Haha yea.. i know, It was really hard to indicate parts of the body from one another without the sketch.. but im not done with the lighting yet, im going to add another set after i make the spell coming out of his hand.

Regarding what Alnoth said... Man.. that would have made my life so much easier saved me like over 30minutes..., I did it all in one later.. and when i changed the Background i realized i havnt actually painting much, they were just mostly highlights that mixed with the background color.(and i realized this after i finished shading it lol

but then again.. as i said, this is basically my first actually painting i've done with photoshop
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby alnoth » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:49 pm

alnoth

there are people who draw on single layer - mostly guys that came from traditional media i suppose - but i have my base color underneath and all the shading and highlights above. its just so much easier to fix errors that way.

Postby Zjacklee » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Zjacklee

I also work with a minimum of 5 layers per color. base, shade 1, shade 2, light color 1, highlights. And also extra layers for environment lighting and other effects. But It's all about personal preference ofcourse.

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:07 am

Ambiguity

Since we're talking about it, I usually only have 3 layers, the background, the foreground, and a temporary layer that I merge down periodically. If I add any more layers it's too experiment with adding stuff I'm not sure if I'll like or not, so they may or may not get deleted. That's for painting, not cell shading though, if I'm doing the latter I'll have a ton of layers.

Anyways, about your image; if you're going for something at least semi-realistic then I think your palette is way too saturated.

Postby Brian Kouhi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:55 pm

Brian Kouhi

Alright well thanks guys, Finaly finished my Final today... Todays also my Birthday annnd Hobbits coming out.. :|

But anyways, i think ill be getting enough to work on my drawing/paintings now :D

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:24 am

Zjacklee

Well then, Happy B-day! make it a good one!

Cheers! :D

Postby Brian Kouhi » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:58 am

Brian Kouhi

Haha Thanks!, it was great! just came back from the Hobbit, it was quite amazing!

Postby Brian Kouhi » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:27 am

Brian Kouhi

Alllrighty, i put a little bit more work into it, doesnt have a background yet but im sure ill think of something later, unless ofcourse you guys have an idea? :D im thinking a cave of somesort mabye.. :/

any critiques would be welcome :D
Goblin Warlock V3-Small.jpg

Postby Waveloop » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:41 am

Waveloop

alnoth wrote:you do whatever you can to learn the TRADE. (techniques, media, perspective, anatomy, color theory, composition principles, etc. etc. - to be a good draftsman.)

theres nothing you can do to learn ART. its either there or it isnt. only very very select few are good with art - but you can be excellent at the trade regardless of the art.

My profession being the study of human behavior and human fisiology and neuroscience I have to disagree with bro Alnoth.
Mostly any human being has the foundation to learn what ever trade there is... Of course ther are innate genetic factors that make some people more skillfull than others in some particular area... And you also have to account for inner drive... Some people are naturaly driven to some things and others to other things... But there are actual study's, and proven evidence that a human gets really good at something... What ever it is if he spends aproxamely 10000 hours involved in ... any task you can think in human experience... Regardless of natural talent or not... Of course natural talent shortens that time reference, and pushes the the level to a higher platou. (10000 hours is an acttual factual average You can check that).

This is very usual in sports for example... You have a very big spectrum in professional sport performance... But if you go an compete with the worst professional runner, you will still get your ass kicked by a humiliating difference.

So Normally champions are naturally talented, and that gives them the edge, but there are no champions without really hard work... Although there can still be a lot of champions based only in real hard work, without any special genetic gifts

What makes a genius... Is mostly procedural, and not so much a natural talent...

Check the documentary "what makes a genius"... Really eye opposing stuff

Art being subjective and totally dependent on personal taste it's really hard to define... Some people achieve a level that mostly everyone recognizes has being an artist, some people are only recognized by a few... others just by one or two... are there lesser artists?... maybe... but when you produce something that someone recognizes by art, well then you're an artist...So... I'll leave room for debate.

so I guess what I'm saying is, when you have the passion and the dedication, skill will eventually arise... when through that medium you can somehow project a view of your inner perceptions, feelings, emotions, ideas... you have made art. But ultimately all depends on external confirmation, the same as saying others have to be influenced by your creation... other wise it never becomes anything at all

... but as always that's just me.

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Zjacklee

Waveloop wrote:
alnoth wrote:you do whatever you can to learn the TRADE. (techniques, media, perspective, anatomy, color theory, composition principles, etc. etc. - to be a good draftsman.)

theres nothing you can do to learn ART. its either there or it isnt. only very very select few are good with art - but you can be excellent at the trade regardless of the art.

My profession being the study of human behavior and human fisiology and neuroscience I have to disagree with bro Alnoth.
Mostly any human being has the foundation to learn what ever trade there is... Of course ther are innate genetic factors that make some people more skillfull than others in some particular area... And you also have to account for inner drive... Some people are naturaly driven to some things and others to other things... But there are actual study's, and proven evidence that a human gets really good at something... What ever it is if he spends aproxamely 10000 hours involved in ... any task you can think in human experience... Regardless of natural talent or not... Of course natural talent shortens that time reference, and pushes the the level to a higher platou. (10000 hours is an acttual factual average You can check that).

This is very usual in sports for example... You have a very big spectrum in professional sport performance... But if you go an compete with the worst professional runner, you will still get your ass kicked by a humiliating difference.

So Normally champions are naturally talented, and that gives them the edge, but there are no champions without really hard work... Although there can still be a lot of champions based only in real hard work, without any special genetic gifts

What makes a genius... Is mostly procedural, and not so much a natural talent...

Check the documentary "what makes a genius"... Really eye opposing stuff

Art being subjective and totally dependent on personal taste it's really hard to define... Some people achieve a level that mostly everyone recognizes has being an artist, some people are only recognized by a few... others just by one or two... are there lesser artists?... maybe... but when you produce something that someone recognizes by art, well then you're an artist...So... I'll leave room for debate.

so I guess what I'm saying is, when you have the passion and the dedication, skill will eventually arise... when through that medium you can somehow project a view of your inner perceptions, feelings, emotions, ideas... you have made art. But ultimately all depends on external confirmation, the same as saying others have to be influenced by your creation... other wise it never becomes anything at all

... but as always that's just me.

I guess that's the long version of my signature. :P

Now back to the piece.
Did you try to hide the hand in the magic flame? :P ( I don't think it should totally disappear there.

Postby Brian Kouhi » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:45 pm

Brian Kouhi

Haha wow, thanks for the input loop, i wish there was a like button so i can like you're comment :D
I agree with you 100%, i heard that every 11 years you are able to Master a skill, doesn't matter what.
for example from 18-(28-29) Hear surgeon (28-29) - (39-40) Master Artist etc

Postby Brian Kouhi » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:46 pm

Brian Kouhi

And regarding the hands, i was planing to make them disappear from the beginning i sketched the character.. that's why i didn't put any detail on it,

But i might change the color on it and give it an indication of were it is.

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Zjacklee

Brian Kouhi wrote:And regarding the hands, i was planing to make them disappear from the beginning i sketched the character.. that's why i didn't put any detail on it,

But i might change the color on it and give it an indication of were it is.

Ah, okey. I see.
Now my next critique is that i'm not sure about the colors. They don't seem to be unified. And maybe you used too much only green. Maybe you can try some dark blue for the shadows. ( check color theory for what I mean )
Perhaps one of the people that also paint here can help? ( i'd love to see someone give some pointers on the color choice here. Maybe Blackbear or Jeffrey? )
As it is right now, it feels a bit plastic.

Postby Brian Kouhi » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:10 pm

Brian Kouhi

yea.. I dont paint.. ever.. so this is more of a learning painting.
But yes i agree, it just Seemed Way too (one color) i had no idea how to separate the limbs from the body without it looking like a silhouette.

Postby marvel57 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:50 pm

marvel57

Very astute summation of skill learning Dr. Wave /Jack. But alnoth is still has a point about given talent, Einstien was not a manufactered genius or hawkings , that's God- given , like your height or voice. But I agree w/ the10k hour theory. I tried to guess how many hours of actual drawing in the last23 years and guessed maybe 1,800 for me. I think the absolute min. Time period for10k hrs would be 5 years 8hrs a day, 7 days a week,Pheeewwwww :? But to Brians' goblin, it kinda works for me, bottom line, it's semi coolish and that is art :ugeek: :ugeek:

Postby Waveloop » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:27 pm

Waveloop

marvel57 wrote:Very astute summation of skill learning Dr. Wave /Jack. But alnoth is still has a point about given talent, Einstien was not a manufactered genius or hawkings , that's God- given , like your height or voice. But I agree w/ the10k hour theory. I tried to guess how many hours of actual drawing in the last23 years and guessed maybe 1,800 for me. I think the absolute min. Time period for10k hrs would be 5 years 8hrs a day, 7 days a week,Pheeewwwww :? But to Brians' goblin, it kinda works for me, bottom line, it's semi coolish and that is art :ugeek: :ugeek:

I wasn't talking about the true exceptions Marvel... that is like saying Angelina Jolie is a genius because she was born gorgeous. if you throw in Einstein, Da Vinci, Michael Jordan, Michael Phelps... then we're just all out of hope. Those are the guys that set the limits of human achievement! And still we're talking about people who dedicated they're entire life's to they're craft... there is no genius without hard work... unless you're a Savant... and that is a abnormality, and often walks hand to hand with severe disability.

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:40 pm

Zjacklee

Yay, I'm a doctor! :lol:

i had no idea how to separate the limbs from the body without it looking like a silhouette

if your shading is correct, this won't be a problem.
And I gotta say man... at first I couldn't tell at all about your shading being correct or not. But it seems to work out well now! What you had as environmental light, could not be perceived as such at first. But now I see it. :)

And i'm bumping this thread again... Painters, any tips on the colors?

Postby Waveloop » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Waveloop

Brian sorry for the unrelated posts. I realized I haven't even made a critique yet. Sorry :roll:

The concept looks cool, the pose isn't what I would go with, but it's your call, and it looks pretty decent.
Now please, just please work on those colors... and for god sake... change that background, it's giving me headaches of such saturation. It's blending everything together and the Goblin just look stamped there is a big piece of chocolate cake :lol:

Postby Brian Kouhi » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:03 pm

Brian Kouhi

Bahahaha will do.
And dont worry about it at all, im really enjoying reading all of them! :D Philosophy101^

haha but back to the painting, im not quite sure what to put as the background, i usually never do backgrounds because i fail to think of something effective. :/ i might do a cave, but i was thinking of also having a Foreground, perhaps an enemy's head or something :/

Postby alnoth » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:00 pm

alnoth

well i dont actually see how you disagreed with me, wave. :D

i said pretty much the same thing about trade - which is the skillset - you can, and most anyone really, can learn it to a very high degree given enough motivation and time.

about art, i said, its only for the select few to become truly Great (and nobody really knows how that happens anyway).

Postby Waveloop » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Waveloop

alnoth wrote:
theres nothing you can do to learn ART. its either there or it isnt.

Here is were I disagree.

Postby Fenix_N » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:28 am

Fenix_N

So here's my go at it. I thought he was really green so I toned it down a little and made him less saturated and a bit more yellow. I thought he was holding the book in a strange way so I changed it to how I would have done it. I also changed his loincloth thing. Maybe it's a better idea to go with simpler folds?
Crit.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Critique This!