Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby PetitePanboo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:35 pm

PetitePanboo

Subject title: In need for advice

Well just finished this, but I can see several mistakes and have no idea how to fix them :/. I think one general problem with my paintings is the low contrast. In this case, another one is anatomy of the shoulders....think the head is to big?
And somehow character and background dont fit together.
Maybe someone has tips how this could be solved? :oops:
portrait6.jpg

Postby marvel57 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:55 pm

marvel57

Question_is this a self-portrait?

Postby Waveloop » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Waveloop

imo ... the contrast of background and character isn't working because they have the same colors... maybe some cold tones would help.
has for the anatomy... it looks good... maybe features of the face are to big (nose, lips and chin), but that depends on the reference... I don't know how the reference looks, so maybe, thats just the way she looks.
The shoulders are good if your going for a kinda relaxed silty depressed posture with the shoulders rotating forward. The only thing I see, is that little bump in the shoulders that it's called acromion (the end tip of the clavicle is miss placed.

it's a good piece...I would however work a bit on composition, adjust things differently... but that's just my taste

Postby PetitePanboo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:30 pm

PetitePanboo

Haha, no it's not a slef-portrait ;)... (but I probably should start a self-potrait day once a week)

I actually did not use a reference :/. I took one of my sketchbook sketches and changed several things while painting. When I draw out of my imagination, I tend to slightly exaggerate proportions, I guess ^^*.
I'll try to add some greenish-blue-tones then :).
And you're right about the composition, I think in this case, the face is to much in the central and there's to much room on the top. All in all It could be more lively.
sketch01.jpg
portrait.jpg
portrait3.jpg

Postby Jeffrey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Jeffrey

I think the picture should be longer haha ;)

oke now serious :P

there are many non clean edges.. which is strange cause in some areas you are very clean.
you can't rly say the head is to big.. cause you have an own style....
if i would judge your style to realism.... i would say the nose and the mouth are to big.
also the hair needs more work.

But besides these mistakes, it's a intresting good looking digital drawing. :D
Untitled-1.jpg

Postby Waveloop » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Waveloop

looking better :)

Postby Zjacklee » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:53 am

Zjacklee

Jeffrey wrote:I think the picture should be longer haha ;)

I couldn't agree more. xD haha

I think the hair can use some more work indeed. It doesn't look convincing yet to me.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby kocab22 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:03 am

kocab22

Jeffrey is right, it might be longer or shorter. Her breasts are looking weird with this kind of cut.. Also her pose is a bit boring. Maybe some cloth on her shoulders will help the composition. Anyway it is still good painting even with several bugs I like it same as your sketchbook ;)

Postby BrandonB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:37 pm

BrandonB

Haha men right?

Well I really like the way she is colored, her skin looks very nice. I think the picture can be shorter, it is far too much on the top. Even if you do decide to add more of her body, still maybe should trim some of that top of the picture down. :D

Postby marvel57 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:37 pm

marvel57

Petite-the drawing looks good the nose ESP. Is more pointed it's hard to turn a drawing into a painting :D

Postby Fenix_N » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:55 pm

Fenix_N

I like the smaller designs in the background. I think the bigger design kinda clash with the smaller ones because they seem to be done at different quality. If anything, the bigger one should be at a higher quality than the smaller ones.

Postby BrandonB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:29 pm

BrandonB

marvel57 wrote:Petite-the drawing looks good the nose ESP. Is more pointed it's hard to turn a drawing into a painting :D

I find it easier to paint from a picture i've in my sketchpad than to create one in photoshop from scratch. I guess because I already have the idea down from a sketchpad picture vs creating everything in photoshop :D

Return to Critique This!