Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Nipponkage » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Nipponkage

Subject title: Bird Handler

Something just doesn't look right here but I can't but my finger on it. please help.
Tori.jpg

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:35 pm

Zjacklee

- I will start by saying that the overal look is kinda stiff. that right hand seems broken to me. the joint that is supposedly attached to the upperbody seems out of place.
- The upperarm is also too long.
- The judging that the figure is standing slightly turned to the left, his left chest should look bigger then his right chest and not the other way around like now.

That's all i will say for now. Start with checking these points and hope it helps! ;)
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby marvel57 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:07 pm

marvel57

REPEAT get a book and learn :roll:

Postby Nipponkage » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:14 pm

Nipponkage

Here's how far I got before I noticed the critique.
Tori3.jpg

Postby Nipponkage » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Nipponkage

marvel57 wrote:REPEAT get a book and learn :roll:

Yeah, I'm getting a kindle for christmas, that should reduce the cost for books. Besides I prefer improvement by practise.
Last edited by Nipponkage on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby marvel57 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:01 pm

marvel57

Nippon- man when I started drawing there was no internet, all I had was a pencil, a few comics and library books, since then I'be bought or borrowed almost every good book on drawing and painting, then I gave all to the library. Damn, some are worth money now! My point being you,be Got the internet but don'tseem to be taking advantage of it. What would you do if there was no web? Do that then :ugeek: you said you like to learn practicing, but you need an example to learn from. Look at my Sketchbook and look at yours. I learned from books you didn't, who's got the weak sauce? By the way I did that Bruce lee after about 2 mos. practice. And I'm weak compared to a lot of these other artists :( :( snuff said ;)
Last edited by marvel57 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Nipponkage » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:06 pm

Nipponkage

marvel57 wrote:Nippon- man when I started drawing there was no internet, all I had was a pencil, a few comics and library books, since then I'be bought or borrowed almost every good book on drawing and painting, then I gave all to the library. Damn, some are worth money now! My point being you,be Got the internet but don'tseem to be taking advantage of it. What would you do if there was no web? Do that then :ugeek:

Just from using the method I meantion I got from Image to Image under a year. And this is without classes or anything. The only pointers I got to improvement, was from my sister.

Postby alnoth » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:49 pm

alnoth

guys this is a forum, not a competition... besides, if andree wallin, gilles beloeil, daniel balage, etc. came here, they could give the same routine to the whole of "critique this!" section - "oh bah, get a book and study fundamentals and come back in 5 years".

i think its just fair if someone posts here to expect constructive criticism aimed at the particular piece.

now that said, sometimes i just dont know where i would even begin the crit, so i just shut up... ;)

Postby marvel57 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:40 pm

marvel57

Critique means criticism, sometimes it can't be all positive or it would be useless. At least I try to be honest,if I see you doing wrong and I tell you it's right I'm hurting you in the long run. I'm just telling him the best way I know how. Most say zilch and that doesn't do much except say one doesn't care, which also sucks :P Nippon if I slighted you,I'm sorry ,Say the word I'll butt OUT :P

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:26 am

Ambiguity

alnoth wrote:guys this is a forum, not a competition... besides, if andree wallin, gilles beloeil, daniel balage, etc. came here, they could give the same routine to the whole of "critique this!" section - "oh bah, get a book and study fundamentals and come back in 5 years".

i think its just fair if someone posts here to expect constructive criticism aimed at the particular piece.

now that said, sometimes i just dont know where i would even begin the crit, so i just shut up... ;)

I get what you're saying, but at the same time when you can tell there is a big lack of understanding of drawing fundamentals what help is it just to say "fix this, fix that"? If someone can't see why they are fixing something, how will they learn from the mistake?

Nipponkage: I hope you won't take some of the things we say as we are trying to be hurtful. I honestly understand what marvel is talking about too though. I think it'd be best if you did more observational studies right now instead of "imaginative" works. Observational studies really help you to "see" more critically in general, that way when someone tells you something even just "looks wrong" that you might have missed, you'll be able to see what they mean right away.

Nipponkage wrote:Besides I prefer improvement by practise.

And practice is absolutely what you need to be doing, however, aimless practice(practice without a clear short term goal) won't get you where you need to be.

Postby Lizard-sheep » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:45 am

Lizard-sheep

Nipponkage wrote:Just from using the method I meantion I got from
Spoiler: show
to
Spoiler: show
in under a year. And this is without classes or anything. The only pointers I got to improvement, was from my sister.

That's not a lot of improvement and improving by practicing (in this case that means doing finished piece after finished piece until something pops out as wrong) while I wouldn't say it's impossible to learn like that It's highly inefficient.
Marvel is right when he says get a book since it's filled with instructions and somebody else's observations, but it doesn't have to be books there's so much online for free as well.
You don't even have to do that, just making your own observations from life or pictures will help.

Think of it like this, at the moment you're trying to build something from imagination and because you haven't studied it, it looks wrong, which is fine for starters.
But then you try to correct it from imagination even though the "wrong" version is the best you can do at the moment, so any improvement is going to be superficial.
The "right" version has to come from somewhere you can't "build" it.

alnoth wrote:I think its just fair if someone posts here to expect constructive criticism aimed at the particular piece.

While I think that's true as well I also think that in this case "start studying" is constructive criticism.
Just like it's constructive criticism to tell someone who want's to write a novel but doesn't know grammar, to learn grammar.
Or telling someone who want's to compose his own music to learn notes.
Nobody's being a dick about it or trying to deny anyone the improvement of a real "critique"

This isn't supposed to sound harsh but if it does I'm sorry.
Critiques only have value to give you a different viewpoint or enlighten you about a mistake you couldn't (despite study and hard work) find yourself.
Critiques are not a replacement for doing your own work (studying endless hours).
Asking people for critique on something you haven't put any effort into* is wasting not only your but others time as well.
*In the form of studying, I'm sure you're trying your best with what you've posted

TL;DR: Start studying.

Also what Ambiguity said :P
~ PROCRASTINATION! ~

Postby Nipponkage » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:05 am

Nipponkage

FINE!!!! But what fundimentles? Let me guess praportion?! Also I already asked people how to study but all I kept hearing is books books books. What I ment was, what methods of study should I do. (Becasue I take it flas cards and mind-maps don't work with art)

Postby BrandonB » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:12 am

BrandonB

Nipponkage wrote:FINE!!!! But what fundimentles? Let me guess praportion?! Also I already asked people how to study but all I kept hearing is books books books. What I ment was, what methods of study should I do. (Becasue I take it flas cards and mind-maps don't work with art)
Hi Nipponkage I think that you are doing very good! Just keep on drawing and painting and you'll begin to see the error of your ways by yourself, trust me. However, it's as the others have say man, you must also be studying up on things as you go along. If all you have in imagination is incorrect, how you expect to improve without learning more into your imagination? Even you can go to youtube and just watch and observe how other artists are painting. Now I understand it can be a bit overwhelming of where on earth to start when studying right? Here are some steps that I hope can help you get started:

1. Find the style of artists you admire or wish to achieve. There are many types of art, realism, cell-shading, etc. You need to find where you belong in the art world, what works best for you and what you hope to achieve. And i'm not saying become a carbon copy of a certain style, but find which works with your style and you will learn the fundamentals you need for your own unique style.
2. Paining and drawing are separate. When you are practicing form and drawing things, you'll find that you rarely render the image. Quick sketches just to find the form and simple shapes. When coloring and practicing coloring, you will learn to use your drawing skills in order to manipulate light in the image, which creates life in the colors and creates your painting.

Don't sweat it, we all struggle in areas, there is no perfect artist. The best thing about art is that it is everywhere around us. So keep up the good work and go watch,read and study i'll be doing the same! Cheers! :D

Postby Lizard-sheep » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Lizard-sheep

Nipponkage wrote:FINE!!!! But what fundimentles? Let me guess praportion?! Also I already asked people how to study but all I kept hearing is books books books. What I ment was, what methods of study should I do. (Becasue I take it flas cards and mind-maps don't work with art)

Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting you bury yourself in dry books, that's probably just gonna nib your desire to draw in the bud, at this point anyway.
I think your focus should be on something you enjoy doing so by all means continue to draw what you are drawing, that with which you have fun.
However that's not enough, do what BrandonB said, look at the artwork of people that inspire you, see where the differences to their and your work are.
I think it's even fine to copy stuff and try to get it as close as possible just to get better control over the pencil and your line.
Don't have the mindset of "every drawing has to be a finished piece" spend 10 minutes on a drawing and if you don't really like where it's going start a new one.
Try things out, there's going to be a lot you're not going to enjoy but there's not really another way other than trial and error to find out, that is until you love drawing so much you like to draw everything.
Draw from life or photos, something more realistic but if you don't enjoy it leave it be for now, I don't think there's much sense in forcing yourself to do something you don't enjoy (at least not early on).

Until you have a mindset of "hey I'm onto something here" and you dedicate a lot of time on it books aren't going to help you much.
I'm sorry if all this sounds a bit vague, but I really think you're at the hardest point in learning to draw, where I'm at it's pretty straight-forward. It's learn perspective, do study's, do gestures, learn the building blocks of a figure.

I like to think of Drawing like a sport (specifically basketball, because it's all I know haha)
I'm not sure if everyone had this experience with drawing it's just my own, but it seems to me that going into drawing people seem to think it's more like a science, you learn a formula you apply it.
So it's very frustrating when one discovers that there is no such thing (in the beginning) or you think why aren't people telling me how to get better.
In comparison to basketball it would be like someone asking about tactics and team-coordination, even though they never threw a ball, so you say "you have to learn how to dribble and throw a ball properly" and then the question comes "okay so how do I dribble or throw a ball?"
And there's no answer to that, how do you explain how to dribble? all you can do is say, here's what I did, practice it.
That's why I say you're at the hardest point, you're basically on your own and there's not really anything specific anyone can help you with.

Also I need to stop writing god-awful long posts -.-
~ PROCRASTINATION! ~

Postby alnoth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:58 pm

alnoth

well my suggestion is to draw, draw, draw. its not about how many "pieces" you draw, its about how many pounds and pounds of paper you fill with drawings, how many miles of pencils you use up and how many gallons and gallons of ink you waste. theres no shortcut.

take a phototograph of a real life scene. DONT LOOK AT IT. draw the scene as accurately as you can. NOW, look at the photo. repeat, repeat, repeat untill you are sick of it.

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Ambiguity

Lizard-sheep wrote:I think your focus should be on something you enjoy doing so by all means continue to draw what you are drawing, that with which you have fun.
This is good, but realize it is just for fun, you don't need a super serious critique for everything you do. Start a sketchbook and put all your fun ideas in there. Maybe in the future you'll be like "that was a really good idea, I want to redraw that".

Lizard-sheep wrote:However that's not enough, do what BrandonB said, look at the artwork of people that inspire you, see where the differences to their and your work are.
I think it's even fine to copy stuff and try to get it as close as possible just to get better control over the pencil and your line.
Don't have the mindset of "every drawing has to be a finished piece" spend 10 minutes on a drawing and if you don't really like where it's going start a new one.
This as well, again, right now what you need is to learn to see critically imo. If you have someone else's work to check yourself against, you should have a bit easier of a time seeing where you went wrong.

Postby Nipponkage » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Nipponkage

Ambiguilty, this is nothing to do with art but what does 'imo' mean?
Last edited by Nipponkage on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby alnoth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:31 pm

alnoth

in my opinion.

Postby Nipponkage » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Nipponkage

alnoth wrote:in my opinion.

ahh thanks. :)

Return to Critique This!