Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Nipponkage » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Nipponkage

Subject title: FINSHED Halloween Picture please look

CAn someone check this? I want to make sure that I've got everything (proprtion wise) about right.

note:Anyone can do a video critique of this.
1000.jpg
Last edited by Nipponkage on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Postby BrandonB » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:38 am

BrandonB

Hi, I can definitely tell you that I am absolutely nowhere near the best when it comes to anatomy, but I can't find anything wrong with it. Maybe get a little more line art to it and then maybe, but I can't right now :) I hope to see it complete, looks cool man!

Postby Jeffrey » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:09 am

Jeffrey

BrandonB wrote:Hi, I can definitely tell you that I am absolutely nowhere near the best when it comes to anatomy, but I can't find anything wrong with it. Maybe get a little more line art to it and then maybe, but I can't right now :) I hope to see it complete, looks cool man!

try to sketch with a softer brush and bigger strokes.
your strokes are very small.... and you should rly practice on this!
So again big strokes, softer brush.

Try to do some guide lines, that will help you with your anatomy.
the arms itself are to long, they should stop at your upper leg.
I can't rly say much more since its so early in the sketch, and i see no guidelines.

Hope i'm not to hard on you! :oops:

It's all love! :mrgreen:
luna_b.jpg
In this picture you see big strokes and lots of guidelines!

Postby Jeffrey » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:33 am

Jeffrey

So i sketched over yours, hope you don't mind. ( i like to sketch on a grey background )
I kept your style of drawing. ( manga i guess )

you can see why you drew the arm to long,
I guess that you drew the scythe before the arms, and tried to draw the arms to reach it.
I also did some guide lines, you can see that you already see form in it, and can clearly see your proportions.
sketch.jpg

Postby BrandonB » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:40 am

BrandonB

Jeffrey wrote:So i sketched over yours, hope you don't mind. ( i like to sketch on a grey background )

I guess that you drew the scythe before the arms, and tried to draw the arms to reach it.
I also did some guide lines, you can see that you already see form in it, and can clearly see your proportions.

Oh that's right, the arms did look a little too long to me also. Forgot that it's 1 head length from the top of the arm pit to the joint of the elbow and 2 heads from the elbow to the tip of the middle finger xD

Check this video out for anatomy help, I always go back to it when I need a refresh of memory!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdNQR7xY ... plpp_video

Postby Nipponkage » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Nipponkage

Jeffrey wrote:
BrandonB wrote:Hi, I can definitely tell you that I am absolutely nowhere near the best when it comes to anatomy, but I can't find anything wrong with it. Maybe get a little more line art to it and then maybe, but I can't right now :) I hope to see it complete, looks cool man!

try to sketch with a softer brush and bigger strokes.
your strokes are very small.... and you should rly practice on this!
So again big strokes, softer brush.

Try to do some guide lines, that will help you with your anatomy.
the arms itself are to long, they should stop at your upper leg.
I can't rly say much more since its so early in the sketch, and i see no guidelines.

Hope i'm not to hard on you! :oops:

It's all love! :mrgreen:

but I don't/can't use a softe brush. I'm using Paint.net. :(

Postby alnoth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:19 pm

alnoth

considering head lengths, the head on the sketch is still too big...

Postby Nipponkage » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:39 pm

Nipponkage

Jeffrey wrote:So i sketched over yours, hope you don't mind. ( i like to sketch on a grey background )

I prosumming that the red line you drew on the head was basied on the lines on mine. If so that was to see where the eyes should go... although I don't think that would work anyway.

Postby Nipponkage » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:59 pm

Nipponkage

Is the body and arm length here more correct (note: the fingers will add length).
anatomy of arm test.jpg

Postby marvel57 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:53 pm

marvel57

I think you should get a book on anatomy before proceeding any further. If need need coaching so soon in a drawing it tells me you have'nt done your homework. At this rate we'll have to draw you a book about drawing, which you should already read! ;) you got to put in your effort before any should have to help you.
Last edited by marvel57 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby Nipponkage » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Nipponkage

marvel57 wrote:I think you should get a book on anatomy before proceeding any further. If need need coaching so soon in a drawing it tells me you have'nt done your homework. At this rate we'll have to draw you a book about drawing, which you should already read! ;) you got to put in your effort before any should have to help you.

that would be fine if i would afford that, or even if I had a job but I only get money on chrastmas and on Apri the 24th (my birthday). Besides I was useing the video mentioned above for proption. Also I'm using Mark Crilleys book (about heads) to help.

note:- The persons going to be wearing a clock anyway. (so the arm's ad especily the legs won't be showen off. This is sortof a late halloween drawing.) This is just for future reference.

Postby marvel57 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:26 pm

marvel57

Money problem I hear ya! Go to a library and go online and you can probably get many good books that are in your state system,Free :ugeek:

Postby Nipponkage » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:44 pm

Nipponkage

marvel57 wrote:Money problem I hear ya! Go to a library and go online and you can probably get many good books that are in your state system,Free :ugeek:

"state system"?

Postby Nipponkage » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Nipponkage

In anycase, I've attempted to draw the hands, but I'm not sure they look natural.Also I'm not sure that the hands are the right sizebut please focus on if the hands look natural, please.
1002.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Ambiguity

Is this supposed to be a child? 'Cause 6 1/2 heads is way too small for a normal sized adult.

Postby Nipponkage » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Nipponkage

Ambiguity wrote:Is this supposed to be a child? 'Cause 6 1/2 heads is way too small for a normal sized adult.

Yeah, it is. :)
As I said a few posts ago it's a late halloween picture.

Postby Nipponkage » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:04 pm

Nipponkage

Here's the line art (not the finished picture... not by far). In the finished ersion I plan on almost completely getting rid of the lines and do most of the shape, form and background just by colour. Yes I do know that he has no pupil, I fix that later.
1002.jpg

Postby Otakatt » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:06 am

Otakatt

For an image like that you have to keep in mind how folds work. They don't appear randomly or all go in one direction - they change according to the forum underneath them. Not that I'm good with folds...
demfolds.jpg

Postby Nipponkage » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:48 pm

Nipponkage

Here's how far I am. Can anyone see anything that's out of place? I have no idea what those balck smuges are.
lolpie.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Ambiguity

The eyes seem like they aren't on the same level, and I think the one closest to the camera seems too big. The scythe seem like it's going through his hand, instead of him holding it IMO.

Postby BrandonB » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:20 pm

BrandonB

I'll agree with Ambiguity, seems that staff is going through the hand. Maybe the hand could use more thickness and more definition of the knuckles. Also, maybe you should put a little more color into the robe. Add for say maybe some purple, green and some blues. I am sure it will give the robe much more depth. Also the eyes are a little too white, maybe blotch in some blueish-grey and keep the pure white to the highlights. I hope this helps you, Is a nice character, looking forward to the finish product :D

Postby Nipponkage » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:57 pm

Nipponkage

Ambiguity wrote:The eyes seem like they aren't on the same level, and I think the one closest to the camera seems too big. The scythe seem like it's going through his hand, instead of him holding it IMO.

Which hand?

Postby Nipponkage » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:38 pm

Nipponkage

BrandonB wrote:I'll agree with Ambiguity, seems that staff is going through the hand. Maybe the hand could use more thickness and more definition of the knuckles. Also, maybe you should put a little more color into the robe. Add for say maybe some purple, green and some blues. I am sure it will give the robe much more depth. Also the eyes are a little too white, maybe blotch in some blueish-grey and keep the pure white to the highlights. I hope this helps you, Is a nice character, looking forward to the finish product :D

Do you mean like this? Haven't done the eyes yet (That should be easy enough though).
test deth.gif

Postby BrandonB » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:17 pm

BrandonB

Yes that's what I mean! :D but don't be afraid to add more colors like the green and what not. Also kinda change the lightness/darkness depending on where the light and shadows are. Like for instance, blotch in the shadows a darker green than you would in the places light is hitting the robe. Try not too use pure black at all. What I do to blend after i've blotch everything is to take a little of the color and paint like 2 or 3 soft strokes "brush on pen pressure" then i'll select the color that just made " which will be a blend of the two colors" and i'll pain some more. If I need darker or lighter i'll just go back to the part where the robe is mostly that color and sample color from there. Also for black things, it's a good choice to use a dark greyish blue to start then work your way to darker/lighter. I hope that you do not mind, but I have done a quick blotch for you, of what I mean:

That's pretty much how I would begin to blotch things only the entire picture will be blotches xD. It may not be very pretty in the beginning but it's very effective with creating volume and you will begin to see the robe sort of create itself just because the colors are tricking you to believe there is more there than really is, it's a great trick :D In this repaint I didn't really pay much attention to the light source or nothing, but it was just to give the general idea you know. I really hope this helps in someway for you!

Postby Nipponkage » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Nipponkage

BrandonB wrote:Yes that's what I mean! :D but don't be afraid to add more colors like the green and what not. Also kinda change the lightness/darkness depending on where the light and shadows are. Like for instance, blotch in the shadows a darker green than you would in the places light is hitting the robe. Try not too use pure black at all. What I do to blend after i've blotch everything is to take a little of the color and paint like 2 or 3 soft strokes "brush on pen pressure" then i'll select the color that just made " which will be a blend of the two colors" and i'll pain some more. If I need darker or lighter i'll just go back to the part where the robe is mostly that color and sample color from there. Also for black things, it's a good choice to use a dark greyish blue to start then work your way to darker/lighter. I hope that you do not mind, but I have done a quick blotch for you, of what I mean:

That's pretty much how I would begin to blotch things only the entire picture will be blotches xD. It may not be very pretty in the beginning but it's very effective with creating volume and you will begin to see the robe sort of create itself just because the colors are tricking you to believe there is more there than really is, it's a great trick :D In this repaint I didn't really pay much attention to the light source or nothing, but it was just to give the general idea you know. I really hope this helps in someway for you!

Ok, but the problem with the ubderlined section is I'm using Paint.net (might get Sai or something else later). So do you know how to get the same effect on Paint.net, with pen pressure and softness etc?

Next

Return to Critique This!