Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Cabla » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:43 am

Cabla

Subject title: Critique me please?

I have been having a bit of trouble with my colours lately so I decided to do a colour practice. I was wondering if there was any critique you had (doesn’t have to be just about the colour though I was a tad lazy on everything else).
ladadadada.jpg

Postby Fenix_N » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:38 am

Fenix_N

Hmm.. looks alrite to me for the style you are going for. The skin could use a little more color maybe?

Postby Cabla » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:52 am

Cabla

Hmm.. looks alrite to me for the style you are going for. The skin could use a little more color maybe?

Hmm... I am not quite sure what other colours to add though... I could try to add more hues to the colours. Would that help? Actually, would you have any suggestions on what colours to add in?

Postby Jeffrey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:31 am

Jeffrey

I like this style and find it beautiful... well done.
may i ask if this character is inspired or is Merida from brave?

Postby Fenix_N » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:59 am

Fenix_N

Well, I'm not too good with this type of style but I gave it a try. Just playing with some sliders here. Added a bit of saturation to the skin so that it gets closer to the high saturation of the hair. Made highlights warmth and shadows cool.
crit.jpg

Postby alnoth » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:43 am

alnoth

i like the original better... pale skin, redish shadows, the nose as if the girl was cold... :) i like it.

not sure how to fix it, but the hair seems to have the same quality throughout - front and back. it looks flat, but that may be a choice of style.

Postby Otakatt » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:15 am

Otakatt

I like her skin too. Wouldn't mind seeing more dark areas in the hair.

Postby Fenix_N » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:13 pm

Fenix_N

Hehe, don't I look bad giving bad advice. But it's a learning experience so I regret nothing!

Postby Cabla » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:14 pm

Cabla

I like this style and find it beautiful... well done.
may i ask if this character is inspired or is Merida from brave?

Thank you very much! And yes, this picture was entirely based on Merida's design. I really felt like paint lots of hair because I always seem to get lazy about that point. I don't think that I did her hair (or her personality) justice, but at least I tried. Maybe next time right?
Well, I'm not too good with this type of style but I gave it a try. Just playing with some sliders here. Added a bit of saturation to the skin so that it gets closer to the high saturation of the hair. Made highlights warmth and shadows cool...
Hehe, don't I look bad giving bad advice. But it's a learning experience so I regret nothing!

You know, it actually helped me so it wasn't bad advise at all! After looking at your picture, I think that I should have a bit darker of shadows in a few places and probably less saturation in parts of the hair... so thank you!
i like the original better... pale skin, redish shadows, the nose as if the girl was cold... i like it.

not sure how to fix it, but the hair seems to have the same quality throughout - front and back. it looks flat, but that may be a choice of style.

Hahaha~ Thank you! You aren't the only one who says my characters look cold. Everyone seems to mention that at one point. XD I just like my blush and red noses too much!

It is a style choice but perhaps I should try to add more depth to it... It has been a long time since I really tried putting a lot of depth into hair. I always hated how it turned out. It might have been me hating how I added depth though. I might actually like it better now... Alright, that will be my mission next time!
I like her skin too. Wouldn't mind seeing more dark areas in the hair.

I was worried that if I put too much dark in the hair, it would become the only focus of the picture. I generally use darker values to draw in the eyes (that is the reason why the area around the eyes is so dark). I will try it with more dark areas though. It might just be one of those worries that I need to break free of. Thank you for pointing that out.

Postby marvel57 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:27 pm

marvel57

Reminds me of the big-eyed sad children art of the 70's as mentioned on the Simpsons,for you youngsters. :ugeek:check out www.keane-eyes.com

Return to Critique This!