Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby cvh » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:12 pm

cvh

Subject title: Need a little critique and advice on digital painting

I got myself a tablet in early 2012 and this was one of the first artworks I did using it:
I painted it in Paint Tool SAI but when I got a new mac, I moved on to working with photoshop mostly. I tried improving my digital painting skills by doing studies etc. and this is one of my latest works:

It got better, looking back at my paintings from early 2012, but I'm still not satisfied with it... I'd be happy if you could give me some critique and maybe even some advice on how to improve my digital paintings.

Thank you!
[continues to draw portraits until the end of time because she just can't be bothered to draw anything else ever]
Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2147
http://charlotvanh.deviantart.com | http://charlotvanh.com

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:45 am

Ambiguity

I think you need to work on your values and also refine a bit more on that Hiddleston piece. As far as values go, almost everything is in the light to mid range, there is a big lack of the mid to dark range:
Then again, I haven't seen your reference, so I don't know what the values were like on it overall. I'd gamble it at least has some dark accents here and there though.

As far as refinement goes, his ears have obviously been neglected, but also things like his nose and lips aren't up to the same level of refinement as the eyes and hair. There's also the odd transitions from skin to clothing. Again, working on your values will help a great deal.

Return to Critique This!