Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:42 pm

Bob

Subject title: Critique This! :)

Hey! I'm new here, and it's my first post, so I want to say hello :)

About month ago I bought a tablet, cause I've been always been dreaming to become digital artist. I'd be grateful for any help with improving my drawing skills.

Here is my old graphics, made using mouse :)

And here is my newest drawing - first compleate picture done using tablet.

Please, write what do you think about them :)

Postby Fenix_N » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:34 am

Fenix_N

This is a critique of the last painting of the Sith. Not bad... but you need some hard edges. I recommend painting everything with a hard brush first, because it forces you to think about the structure of things. This is because the direction of your hard brush strokes suggests the form. And if you don't really understand the form, then it will look terrible when you use a hard brush. It reveals your weaknesses and forces you to become better. Using the soft brush for a whole painting is the safe way to go, and it will make things look kinda ok, but there is a limit to the quality it can achieve and you won't improve very fast that way.

Anyways, I know it hasn't been that long since you got that tablet and I don't want to sound too harsh. Just wanted to point you in the right direction before you waste too much time.

Postby Cabla » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:37 am

Cabla

You are much better off than I was at a month! XD

Since it was already mentioned about overusing soft brushes, I won't mention any more about that. The only thing that I would like to point out is about how dark your last two pictures are. I am not sure if it is just my monitor or not, but I can barely see the details. It is cool to have dark pictures but you do need more value change or the entire picture can be lost.
Just something to think about.

Return to Critique This!