Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Otakatt » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:09 am

Otakatt

Subject title: Night Elf

Figured I could draw one of my original characters as a Night Elf for fun. Contemplating giving her a hood as that might be less boring. Anatomy is probably exaggerated, but I'm okay with that. WoW's Night Elves aren't exactly the pinnacle of realism. XD
Night Elf Lydia.jpg

Postby Fenix_N » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:09 am

Fenix_N

Lol. Well, don't think I see anything off so far.

Postby kocab22 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:20 am

kocab22

Beautiful. Maybe her right thigh is in front of the left one so there might be almost no hole between her thighs.. I tried to find kind of reference picture. Watch this one. Of course it depends on her anatomy... Looks really great man. I love elves :)...
200478019-001.jpg

Postby alnoth » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:28 am

alnoth

that depends on the width of her... dont know the proper anatomy term... camel toe, but there almost always is a bit of negative space for women - even if the thighs do meet or even overlap further down, up where they connect to the pelvis, they get away from each other.

looks like theres going to be some drape covering the "troubled area", so the whole point is moot.

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:18 am

Ambiguity

alnoth wrote:dont know the proper anatomy term... camel toe

No lol...

Also, Ota' added that space, you guys don't see it?

Postby alnoth » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:25 am

alnoth

i see it is exaggerated, and he himself says so, so why insist on it being wrong? all the more so, since its going to be covered...

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:07 am

Ambiguity

Oh oh, I see what y'all are saying now. I read kocab's post wrong.

Postby Otakatt » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:37 am

Otakatt

I'm toying with the idea of fabric being a little see through, haven't decided yet. But if I go that route I'll probably make the gap a bit less noticeable since as is it stands out a little more than I'd like, especially since she has thick legs. And not all girls have a gap between their legs. It depends on their body. A girl is more likely to have a visible gap if she has wide set hips and smaller thighs. You can be slender and not have one at all.

Postby Waveloop » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:08 pm

Waveloop

I love the gap... I like exaggerating that gap too... it's appealing to the eye since it accentuates the curves of the female body. you should leave it like that... in my humble opinion of course.

Postby alnoth » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:16 pm

alnoth

i think its an inherent feature of the way females are designed in general, so i think they all have it - its just a matter of size with different figure types, imo.

Postby Otakatt » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:19 am

Otakatt

Worked on it a little more. Is a mess of lines atm. XD
Night Elf Lydia.jpg

Postby kocab22 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:29 am

kocab22

You guys are right. I was just saying my opinion ;). Especially for this manga style it is nice to exaggerate. Anyway I really like the line art and I'm looking forward to see more!

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:49 am

Ambiguity

Man, how did you do the lines on the breasts so cleanly? That curve would be impossible for me to line on a tablet without it looking "stiff".

Postby Waveloop » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Waveloop

Ambiguity wrote:Man, how did you do the lines on the breasts so cleanly? That curve would be impossible for me to line on a tablet without it looking "stiff".

pen tool... I guess

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Ambiguity

Waveloop wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:Man, how did you do the lines on the breasts so cleanly? That curve would be impossible for me to line on a tablet without it looking "stiff".

pen tool... I guess

No way, look at the pressure variation in the line, you can't just erase it to make it look that "organic" either. Look at how rigid looking the staff is in comparison to her breasts too.

Postby alnoth » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:02 pm

alnoth

im thinking illustrator does just that with smoothing out the pen line...

or a steady hand... ;)

Postby Jeffrey » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Jeffrey

Very well done , lover her hands, you are rly good at drawing hands. :D
Also love her hair and the clean lines, may i ask in which program did you make this?
and i saw a feel lines that i thought could be better.
Untitled-1.jpg

Postby Otakatt » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Otakatt

Ambiguity wrote:
Waveloop wrote:

pen tool... I guess

No way, look at the pressure variation in the line, you can't just erase it to make it look that "organic" either. Look at how rigid looking the staff is in comparison to her breasts too.

I did this in Paint Tool SAI. XD The sketch was by hand, then most of the lineart was done with pen tool. On SAI you can use the pen tool on linework layers to make very clean lines, then go in with the pressure tool and edit the 'weight' of the lines. It's only recently I started using this tool, since I usually just did everything by hand before.

Postby Otakatt » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:33 pm

Otakatt

Tweaked according to Jeffrey's suggestions.
Night Elf Lydia.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Ambiguity

Otakatt wrote:I did this in Paint Tool SAI. XD The sketch was by hand, then most of the lineart was done with pen tool. On SAI you can use the pen tool on linework layers to make very clean lines, then go in with the pressure tool and edit the 'weight' of the lines. It's only recently I started using this tool, since I usually just did everything by hand before.

I'm gonna have to check that out then 'cause it looks great :).

Postby Jeffrey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:37 am

Jeffrey

Looking great, can't wait to see it finished! :D

Postby Otakatt » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:01 am

Otakatt

The background is poop so I'll overhaul it. I'm awful with backgrounds. ~_~ Doesn't help that SAI doesn't have good brushes for backgrounds and the program I'm using for a background (MyPaint) lags like a mofo for me.

Not sure whether she should wear a light dress or dark dress. I think I like the dark dress better but when I think of Night Elves I think of light colored dresses... Either way I should probably blur some detail beneath the dress since skin and such wouldn't show up completely visible like that. Oh and the dress isn't shaded yet, it's just the flat put down atm.
Night Elf Lydia2.png
Night Elf Lydia2dkdress.png

Postby alnoth » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:09 am

alnoth

dude, isn't she going to get cold running around the forests at night wearing just that...?

is it just me, or does her pinky on the staff holding hand seem longer than her ring-finger?

Postby Otakatt » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:18 am

Otakatt

alnoth wrote:dude, isn't she going to get cold running around the forests at night wearing just that...?

is it just me, or does her pinky on the staff holding hand seem longer than her ring-finger?

It's a fantasy picture, I don't think whether she'll get cold or not matters. XD

And her fingers may very well be wonky, but I don't plan on changing lineart since I passed that stage and moved on to coloring. :x

Postby Jeffrey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:24 am

Jeffrey

alnoth wrote:dude, isn't she going to get cold running around the forests at night wearing just that...?

man shes to hot to get cold 8-)

black dress is sexy , green fits more to a night elf
the character is already sexy and you don't want to over sexy it :P haha
so i would take the green one :)

Next

Return to Critique This!