Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Menokokoro » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:16 am

Menokokoro

Subject title: The king and his guard.

This is something I've started last night, It's not done...obviously, but I still would love your ruthless points of view when it comes to art in general. Is there anything I could be doing better (even though it's really soon in the picture.) Thanks in advance. I'll post updates as they come.

Spoiler: show

Postby Fenix_N » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:41 am

Fenix_N

On the king, his hands looks bigger than his face. Also, there are two lines coming out from the sword which I think is his crotch area. It looks too low on the body. Also, the king looks fancy but his guards looks like barbarians or bandits. It could make sense with a little back story, but by itself is a little confusing visually.

Postby alnoth » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:36 am

alnoth

yeah, the hand is big even if it is gloved - same goes for the guards hand. (when you cover your mouth, the width of your 4 fingers should span about from the bottom of the nose to the bottom of the chin.) ...obviously you can make them bigger to show strength and bulky build, but i think this is too much.

composition-wise, i dont like the position of the guy on our right side (to the king's left). he is like saying "hey im not with the other two guys...". i would put him on the same ground level with the other guard. of course they dont need to be the same distance from the king left-right wise, but i would put both guards level to each other. this way, the guy with the hammer thing is standing too far back, i think.

Return to Critique This!