Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Nipponkage » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Nipponkage

Subject title: Wings

Before I even attempt the other things in this pic.Does the feathers look okay?

Note:- I'm tring to improve on that, with this drawing .:lol:

Also I would liek Scyra to do criteque this on a video. If not then please make a tutorial on wings anime how they can bend and stuff like that.
5445.png

Postby Jeffrey » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:29 pm

Jeffrey

the feathers at the edge mostly become bigger, and you can try to draw the feather a bit different every time.
i think this will make the wing look more natural. good luck :D

Postby Waveloop » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:15 pm

Waveloop

You should draw the feathers in little groups, like you would do hair in locks. To give more structure, drawing every feather makes it look fake, or you have to be very patient and draw every little detail for it to work.

Postby Otakatt » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:20 am

Otakatt

Waveloop wrote:You should draw the feathers in little groups, like you would do hair in locks. To give more structure, drawing every feather makes it look fake, or you have to be very patient and draw every little detail for it to work.

Thiiiis.

It does also kinda depend on what look you're going for and what you're doing. If you're doing a study about wings and feathers, sure, I can see drawing everything, but when rendering an illustration it's so much easier to do wings in groups. If you're looking at them from close up, more detail would likely be shown, but from a distance it wouldn't be nearly as detailed. Looking at different type of birds and their wings is probably a good idea if you wanna learn to draw them.

Postby Nipponkage » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:42 pm

Nipponkage

To be honest I was going for something that may resembled manga wings, like in D.N.Angel (brilliant anime by the way I recommend it) or Yu-Gi-Oh. I'm practising this skill(?) because in school, on Tuesdays after-school, we are having a comic club where we actually make our own . (note: This is rare for my school to have a club that is about making something like this (something to do with art)).

Postby Nipponkage » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:41 pm

Nipponkage

Here's the finished picture. What do you think?
5446.png

Postby Rhynn » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:36 am

Rhynn

I know this is a few weeks old, but I just had to comment xD

Your wings are bending wrong. Or rather, they're missing a bone.

Wings are, crudely put, arms with feathers on them. They start at a shoulder joint, have an upper arm bone, two lower arm bones (radius and ulna), and fingers. With bird wings the fingers have merged, pretty much.

This means you can actually use your own arms for reference to see how a bird/angel/feathered wing works. The only way you can get the wings the way you have them now, is by raising your arm in a weird, uncomfortable upward angle.

I recommend taking a good look at this tutorial. It explains a bit about how feathers work and where they should go, too.

The monster thingy is cute though; it reminds me of something I drew a long time ago, haha.

Postby Nipponkage » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:07 am

Nipponkage

Rhynn wrote:I know this is a few weeks old, but I just had to comment xD

Wings are, crudely put, arms with feathers on them. They start at a shoulder joint, have an upper arm bone, two lower arm bones (radius and ulna), and fingers. With bird wings the fingers have merged, pretty much.

This means you can actually use your own arms for reference to see how a bird/angel/feathered wing works. The only way you can get the wings the way you have them now, is by raising your arm in a weird, uncomfortable upward angle.

I recommend taking a good look at this tutorial. It explains a bit about how feathers work and where they should go, too.

The monster thingy is cute though; it reminds me of something I drew a long time ago, haha.

Yeah I relised that a while after I posted it but I just don't like to erase somthing incase I'm never able to draw it better. But thanks.

Postby Nipponkage » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:28 am

Nipponkage

Nipponkage wrote:
Rhynn wrote:I know this is a few weeks old, but I just had to comment xD

Yeah I relised that a while after I posted it but I just don't like to erase somthing incase I'm never able to draw it better. But thanks.

Just had a quick look at it. Yeah that looks like it would be helpful. Thanks :D

Return to Critique This!