Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Jeffrey » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:45 pm

Jeffrey

Subject title: Arial splash art

Hi this is my first post! :)
be hard to me plz!
splasharial.jpg
Arial splash

Postby marvel57 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:33 pm

marvel57

It k
Looks pretty good. I thing the lighting/modeling on her dress behind her bag and the bag itself looks wrong. Also why no fingers? :ugeek:

Postby Jeffrey » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Jeffrey

marvel57 wrote:It k
Looks pretty good. I thing the lighting/modeling on her dress behind her bag and the bag itself looks wrong. Also why no fingers? :ugeek:

yeah i'm better in drawing with fingers then a fist... but she had to look strong! 8-)
I see at the bag and dress, that i didn't apply any back lighting, maybe i should do that.
thanks! :D

Postby Fenix_N » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:56 am

Fenix_N

I like the design of her magic bracer or whatever it is. Cool concept. But I think you have a bit of pillow shading going on here. It's probably why the materials rendering seems off. Check this out:

http://nekkers.deviantart.com/art/Furc- ... -267667160

On her face, the eyes look like they are drawn in a front view but the rest of the head and face is drawn in 3/4 view.

Postby Jeffrey » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:36 am

Jeffrey

Fenix_N wrote:I like the design of her magic bracer or whatever it is. Cool concept. But I think you have a bit of pillow shading going on here. It's probably why the materials rendering seems off. Check this out:

http://nekkers.deviantart.com/art/Furc- ... -267667160

On her face, the eyes look like they are drawn in a front view but the rest of the head and face is drawn in 3/4 view.

Yes, i can see my shoulder pieces and dress are shaded that way.

And the eyes are my biggest problem, i can't seem to fix it, or get it out of my system..
I always draw them that way, and i hate it :(

Thanks! Any tips for the eyes?

Postby Waveloop » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:40 am

Waveloop

I like the concept, and general rendering work (somethings could be refined), but I think all is a bit stiff, doesn't have movement and dynamic going on... I guess it's personal taste though.
the eyes would improve a lot if you rounded the edge of the right eye a little.
I'll try to show it... hope you don't mind
splasharial.jpg

Postby alnoth » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:37 am

alnoth

i know hands are tricky, but details sell the work, right...

her pinky edge line goes on without a break into her fore-arm. you cant tell where the palm ends, wheres the wrist and where the fore-arm bones begin (the knuckle or joint of those is usually quite visible, especially with skinnier characters)

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:03 am

Ambiguity

Her hair doesn't make sense to me, it's moving towards the natural origin point instead of the ponytail. The only way that works is if it's cut short on top and has a really long tail(look at Yuna's hair in Final Fantasy X-2).

Here's a quick example of how you might do it:

Postby Jeffrey » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Jeffrey

Waveloop wrote:I like the concept, and general rendering work (somethings could be refined), but I think all is a bit stiff, doesn't have movement and dynamic going on... I guess it's personal taste though.
the eyes would improve a lot if you rounded the edge of the right eye a little.
I'll try to show it... hope you don't mind

I don't mind :) , we are having multiple characters in this layout, and their will be mostly placed on a small stroke.
So we decided to not make it dynamic. However, we will be making dynamic posters! :D thanks for the help!

alnoth wrote:i know hands are tricky, but details sell the work, right...

her pinky edge line goes on without a break into her fore-arm. you cant tell where the palm ends, wheres the wrist and where the fore-arm bones begin (the knuckle or joint of those is usually quite visible, especially with skinnier characters)

yes i have to detail out her hand, thanks :)

Ambiguity wrote:Her hair doesn't make sense to me, it's moving towards the natural origin point instead of the ponytail. The only way that works is if it's cut short on top and has a really long tail(look at Yuna's hair in Final Fantasy X-2).

Here's a quick example of how you might do it:

I didn't see this :shock: , you just need ppl to look at your art.. Thanks allot i will fix this! :D

Postby alnoth » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:22 pm

alnoth

also, i would model her torso more below her breasts it just looks like a complete cyllinder.

Postby Jeffrey » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:39 am

Jeffrey

alnoth wrote:also, i would model her torso more below her breasts it just looks like a complete cyllinder.

Yes i have done that on the right side.

Here it is, i could not change an awful lot with the hair... cause she is already animated, and in the game. :oops:

Improved shadows.
Improved left hand.
Improved right eye.
Improved hair.
Improved dress light.
Improved sword light.
splasharial.jpg
Last edited by Jeffrey on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cabla » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:47 am

Cabla

I am surprised no one mentioned this (which might mean that it just bothers me) but...
Why is the hair, rock, and fur so detailed comparatively to the rest of it? I know that I am a bit picky about this normally, but I dislike pictures that don't have a consistency about them. If one thing has x amount of detail, than the rest of the picture should have w/x/y amount of detail rather than a/t/x/z amount details. (If that makes sense...) As I said though, it might just be me. >.<

Postby Jeffrey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:27 am

Jeffrey

Cabla wrote:I am surprised no one mentioned this (which might mean that it just bothers me) but...
Why is the hair, rock, and fur so detailed comparatively to the rest of it? I know that I am a bit picky about this normally, but I dislike pictures that don't have a consistency about them. If one thing has x amount of detail, than the rest of the picture should have w/x/y amount of detail rather than a/t/x/z amount details. (If that makes sense...) As I said though, it might just be me. >.<

the entire picture is detailed.
I think its the style i draw in.. Everything is detailed, but not realistic...
and yes i outlined the head cause it was my choice and that's how i did it... It's not an mistake but it's taste.

Postby Fenix_N » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:52 am

Fenix_N

Hey, I know you didn't ask for one but I did a repaint. It's really for practice since during the week I have school and I'm usually too tired to develop an image from scratch. Anyways, I redid some of the lighting and warped the face into 3/4 view. Also, made her breasts sag a little (maybe too much). Well, feel free to use whatever you want, or just ignore the repaint.

crit.jpg

Postby Jeffrey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:15 am

Jeffrey

Fenix_N wrote:Hey, I know you didn't ask for one but I did a repaint. It's really for practice since during the week I have school and I'm usually too tired to develop an image from scratch. Anyways, I redid some of the lighting and warped the face into 3/4 view. Also, made her breasts sag a little (maybe too much). Well, feel free to use whatever you want, or just ignore the repaint.

crit.jpg

Its no problem, it actualy helped me. i see my left boob is to much to the right.
noo no saggy boobs ^^ its a young girl and a thick sweater, i think her boobs are fine this way :D
I'm happy to see in my new version to have similair dark valeus in shadow.
The only thing i see in mine, is that i have to do harder shadows, thank you.
I always want to improve! 8-)

Postby Fenix_N » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Fenix_N

No problem. You should also notice that not everything needs to be graduated in value, you can leave areas of flat colors. Arms for example are not exactly cylinders, they are very flat in some areas. And for stuff like rectangular objects, there are usually pretty hard value changes when there is a plane change.

Postby BrandonB » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:01 am

BrandonB

Wow, just gotta love your textures, they're very nice. I think Fenix has said pretty much what I had in mind, the chest looked a little off and the skin could use a little more volume. I hope to see it finished now, good luck to you! :D

Return to Critique This!