Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby mkw1991 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:27 pm

mkw1991

Subject title: Need a little landscape critique.

Hi guys :]
Firstly, sorry for my bad english.
Recently, I started practicing some landscapes, so I wanted to hear some of your opinions. For this three I've used 3 custom brushes, one for clouds, trees and texture brush for some grass/rock surfaces :P
So tell me, what do you think about it and what should I change to improve :P
Like Sycra said in his topic, You can use this for a video critique :P

Last edited by mkw1991 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Nipponkage » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:19 pm

Nipponkage

I don't know if it's part of the style, but the ground looks really dark. Therefore I think you need to work with your values more (as do I).

Postby Fenix_N » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:51 pm

Fenix_N

Yeah.. the cliffs on the last one seems too dark. The dark cliffs on the first kinda makes sense because the light looks like it is coming from the other direction. And I dunno, but all 3 of them seem very foggy with no interesting sky. I guess that's great for showing more depth, but I wonder if it would look as good with color with the depressing foggy day in all 3 of them. But nice work overall man. The style is loose but seems consistent throughout.

Postby virtueone » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:09 pm

virtueone

Nice work overall! I think there are some areas which lack detail, or look a little messy, but they are all nice concepts! The atmosphere is great and I like the waterfall and fog effects. ;)

These are just my opinions on the first image... (sorry to write on top of your artwork, just easier to explain this way) ;)

Cheers! ;)

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:16 pm

Ambiguity

Fenix_N wrote:Yeah.. the cliffs on the last one seems too dark. The dark cliffs on the first kinda makes sense because the light looks like it is coming from the other direction. And I dunno, but all 3 of them seem very foggy with no interesting sky. I guess that's great for showing more depth, but I wonder if it would look as good with color with the depressing foggy day in all 3 of them. But nice work overall man. The style is loose but seems consistent throughout.

Well it may not work for 3 separate concepts, but I think if you were trying to show how you would get from one place to another in a relatively short distance(maybe not that short in actual miles though), consistency in sky and terrain would be necessary(think MMORPG).

Anyways, I agree about the cliffs in the last one(and maybe even the left cliff on the first) being too dark as well. That much contrast would suggest the cliffs are foreground elements, and yet judging from the relative scale with the rode and human it would seem it's supposed to be a mid ground element.

Another oddity(to me at least), is that city butting right up against that mountain, and there being no bridge to get to it. Unless you were going to build into the mountain, I don't think anyone would build one so close to the edge of a mountain, just my opinion though.

Besides that, I think you did a really nice job with the first 2. You've got a nice spread of texture and a pretty good use of atmosphere. Don't be afraid to add some wildlife here and there, it helps tell that these places are actually inhabitable imo.

Postby alnoth » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:15 am

alnoth

i like all of them. i think this might be as far as you can get with black&white. move towards color and more things will pop out.

Postby Waveloop » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:38 am

Waveloop

I really like this, very much! Everyone is criticizing the last one, but I really like it! I even feel cold when I look at it. Technical stuff aside, if you can provoke a visceral feeling like that... man thats because your doing something right.

Nice job

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Ambiguity

Waveloop wrote:I really like this, very much! Everyone is criticizing the last one, but I really like it! I even feel cold when I look at it. Technical stuff aside, if you can provoke a visceral feeling like that... man thats because your doing something right.

Nice job
I know it's like this is in some sort of critique section or something o.-

Postby Waveloop » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:39 am

Waveloop

Ambiguity wrote:
Waveloop wrote:I really like this, very much! Everyone is criticizing the last one, but I really like it! I even feel cold when I look at it. Technical stuff aside, if you can provoke a visceral feeling like that... man thats because your doing something right.

Nice job
I know it's like this is in some sort of critique section or something o.-

You know what I ment...

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:04 am

Ambiguity

Waveloop wrote:You know what I ment...

The way you worded it makes it sound like we don't like it because we critiqued it, but yeah, I knew what you meant. I'm just messing with ya.

Postby mkw1991 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:12 pm

mkw1991

Your opinions help me a lot :] I will try to not make those mistakes in next works, proper values and other stuff :] My English isn't good enough so i can't write everything what I want :P
But thanks again, I will upload next background when it will be done. Without those little(should I say big?) mistakes, i think :P

Postby mkw1991 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:53 pm

mkw1991

Here is another one that I made, please tell me what do you think about it :]

Return to Critique This!