Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby wayobsessed716 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:38 am

wayobsessed716

Subject title: A study in symmetry-critique away!

(Can be used as a video critique).

Hi,

I'm a big Autodesk Sketchbook fan and recently decided to try out the symmetry command on it. This is what I came up with. The line work is the symmetrical part whereas I turned off the symmetry command when I did the color. The light was supposed to be coming from the top right corner but I got a little confused when I placed the shadow on the hood. Let me know what you would improve on it.

Thanks!!
Photo Jan 22, 11 20 47 PM.jpg

Postby MrNickBarker » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:24 am

MrNickBarker

The danger when using the symmetry tool is that things get too symmetrical, especially when drawing people. Too much symmetry gives a drawing of organic subjects mechanical properties which IMHO isn't something that you'd want. Observe yourself in the mirror, even when posing there is no perfect symmetry, perhaps one arm is at a slight angle and folds in the clothing differ from side to side.

The most noticeable thing I see here that the girl looks cross-eyed (or wide-eyed?), the irises should be closer together. Also the hood looks flat, perhaps it should have more folds and more pronounced shading.

Other than that it's a nice drawing, keep up the good work :)

Postby wayobsessed716 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:27 am

wayobsessed716

Fixed some things and changed some colors.
Photo Jan 29, 9 45 29 PM.jpg

Postby Gellywoo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Gellywoo

looks a little better still the eyes are off, general rule for eye placement is where the crease of the mouth meets the line that the eyes are on. here is an example of what i mean hope that this helps out. other than that this is looking to be a good piece

eyes.png

***edit what i meant to say was where the pupil is placed on the line lol, and generally the space between the eyes is one eye length, so 3 eyes across the line that the eyes fall on, sorry if i screwed you up it was an early morning post
Last edited by Gellywoo on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby wayobsessed716 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:57 pm

wayobsessed716

Thank you! I will work on that .)

Postby Roger » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:25 am

Roger

I think the eyes are either cross eyed, or the symmetry is the thing causing it to look wrong. Colorings cool, though everything looks flat.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Return to Critique This!