Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby resnick.aviv » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:20 pm

resnick.aviv

Subject title: Stuck Portrait

Hi, I'm kinda stuck on this portrait of an african women (no refrence used).
It look as if it has good potential, but on the other hand something is not right, especialy with the rendering I think.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on how to get this going.
btw, I've been using a regular chalk brush for this.

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:33 am

Ambiguity

The shape of the far eye doesn't match up well with the one closest to the camera IMO. Also, the nose seems to be tilted slightly in comparison with the other features. I think you could make the shadows underneath her sockets, lips, nose, and chin darker too. Everything is in the midtones right now, those dark accents will help give it some depth.

Postby Fenix_N » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:44 am

Fenix_N

Hey man, I've been doing a lot of face studies myself so here are my thoughts. Your lighting seems to be a little confusing so I took a guess to where the light is coming from. The biggest thing that stood out to me was the nose. It seems to look a little too sharp so I rounded it a bit. I think I might have rounded a bit too much though, and changed her feature a bit. Also, the upper lips are planes that pointing in a downward direction that is usually away from the light source so they tend to be a bit darker than the bottom lips. Also did a lot of other minor adjustments. It's a pretty face though, and I think I got a bit too caught up in the paintover, lol. Spent 30 mins on it xD. Well, just some suggestions on the rendering. I hope it helps.

crit.jpg

Return to Critique This!