Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Otakatt » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Otakatt

Subject title: Character Design

A friend and I are working on a project of sorts, and one of the things that need doing is the main characters need designs. For the most part, that's actually done: http://otakatt.deviantart.com/art/2012- ... akatt&qo=5 It's not 100% finished as there still needs to be some tweaks to get everything just right but I'm mostly happy with everyone. There's just one character I find myself unsure about.

JackStuff.jpg

I like his eye and hair color, and I like the idea of him having a canteen of some kind he carries around. Because his hair and eyes stand out so much, I think neutral colors for his clothing is the way to go but I wonder if what I have is too plain. I thought about giving him longer hair and some kinda tattered half cloak, but realized that's not the direction I wanna go with him. He may not need drastic change, but I feel something is.. off, or missing with him.

Postby alnoth » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:36 am

alnoth

i dont think its possible to really say anything concerning the character. technically, it is ok, the character "works" - he has got a charisma, the design is not confusing, it reads well, etc. bla. bla.

so really its down to whether we like this character for his role - but we dont really know anything about his role. occupation? plot line? history? etc.

minor tid-bit from me concerning the technique - i sort of miss an indication of thickness for the materials (especially his arm-band, it could have been a tattoo for all i know...), but that may be just a path you took when designing all of your characters.

Postby Otakatt » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:44 am

Otakatt

He's a .. jack of all trades, type. Or rather, he wishes he was. >>; He does a lot of stuff, doesn't really excel at anything, is the comic relief, can be rather overbearing, but is overall a really nice guy.

I wasn't worried too much about technique when I was doing their designs since it's not finalized, but yeah I was way lazy for the armband. Rather than drawing fabric it was like OH WELL I WILL DRAW TWO LINES GOOD ENOUGH. XD

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:19 pm

Ambiguity

Otakatt wrote:He's a .. jack of all trades, type. Or rather, he wishes he was. >>; He does a lot of stuff, doesn't really excel at anything
Story of my life.

Anyways, I think since you were so set on him having that canteen, you should add some color accent to it instead of having it the same as everything else. Gold usually goes well with brown.

Just a thought that came to mind since it was something specific about his design you consciously included. It's like something Sycra once mentioned about caricatures, if you notice something specific about that person like maybe they have crazy hair, why not exaggerate that feature? In a sense you are amplifying their character, not simply changing the features

Postby marvel57 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:26 pm

marvel57

What's in his canteen? :D it might be my age,but I think the whole manga look has run its course. I know millions will disagree , but I think the whole comic book/cartoon genre needs its next "big thing!. It all looks boring and flat with few exceptions. But I,m not gonna save it, would that I could! :ugeek: your drawing is fine by the way ;)

Postby Caelum » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Caelum

Since he's a jack of all trades, and a seemingly vibrant character (in spirit and features) the clothing seems fairly dull but primarily too cold for me.

Perhaps spice up some the browns to have a few warmer shades and have an accent somewhere mimicking one colour of his hair would be nice to give it more harmony I think (perhaps the canteen if it's significant) Just keep playing around with it. Feel free to post more considerations you may have and new sketches.

The colours on your other characters seem to be a bit haphazardly chosen. They dont mix, complement or blend very well yet. Did you strongly consider the characters, what they represent and how to convey this to us visually yet?

What kind of project is it, a visual novel? If it is and there's a lot of outdoor bgs I definitely would advice not to use green as a base in the designs.

It's a good idea to have more characters on a page before you start the final renditions to see how they distinguish and match up. It's easier to adjust designs when they don't feel final to you yet.

Postby Otakatt » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:16 am

Otakatt

I'll definitely keep what was said in mind for Jack. Will probably spiffy up his canteen and attach it to his belt and lose the strap amongst other things.

When it comes to critiques of other characters, really, I don't know how to fix it. And at this point I am so stressed out trying to make everyone happy. I keep asking people I know their opinion, and when I'm not being patronized and told how awesome and amazing something is I'll change X Y and Z that other people point out, which in turn makes someone else look at it and go "Eeeeh". Since trying to make everyone happy is making me extremely unhappy I think I'll start messing with things on my own and try to use my best judgement.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:14 am

sgtmikey101

otakatt, call me dumb, but what program are you using. I love that style, the colors are so alive!

Postby Kuukuna » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:35 am

Kuukuna

I'd say he needs a belt (everything looks better with a belt!), or at least some more details on that grey thing that keeps his pants up. He also seems to lack shoe soles unless those are his socks, but is he then going to walk around without shoes? Perhaps give him a line or a pattern that goes along his pants, like Bruce Lee had on his yellow jumpsuit :P

Return to Critique This!