Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Pman92 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:15 am

Pman92

Subject title: My take on the accolade (knighting) ceremony!

Hi everyone!

(Full size: http://i.imgur.com/cPqLn.jpg)

This one has a little story behind it

I go to law school. These days, a twist to the knighting ceremony occured to me: What if instead of a man being knighted, we had a jurist's rite of passage, conducted by lady Justice herself?

I did some very light shading on the torso but the camera didn't capture much. I intend on giving her a dress à la Statue of Liberty.

I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out how to give her body that perspective you get from looking up to your subject.

I'd appreciate critiques! (Sycra, you can make a video on this if you will. I'd be grateful if you did!)

PS: No idea how to resize it!
Last edited by Pman92 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby alnoth » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:30 pm

alnoth

check the image with whatever program you scanned it with (or to). like phtoshop, gimp, whatever... then just resize the pixel count - in photoshop its under "image size", make it lets say 800 pixels across (keep aspect ratio so you dont get distortion).

Postby Fenix_N » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:05 am

Fenix_N

I thought that she was holding the sword in a weird way so I gave my suggestion on how it should look. I don't know, maybe they do hold swords that way when knighting somebody. Also, I think the waist area may be a bit off centered.

crit.jpg

Postby Pman92 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:59 am

Pman92

Fenix_N wrote:1) I thought that she was holding the sword in a weird way so I gave my suggestion on how it should look. I don't know, maybe they do hold swords that way when knighting somebody. Also, 2) I think the waist area may be a bit off centered.

crit.jpg

You're right about both those things. They were both intended.

1) The hand position I took from a famous reference on knighting. I know it looks a bit different but I tried to outline the arm in a way that allows that angle to be naturally achievable.

Spoiler: show

2) That was intended too. I did some thumbnails in preparation for the final drawing, and I noticed that lady Justice was in a pretty boring, bland position, because the spine was too upright. That was when I found about Sycra, his video on how to draw interesting poses.

With the waist area, I was going for something like the following reference, so her left leg would be in front of the right one:

Spoiler: show

With that in mind, what do you think?

Thanks for your critique!

Postby Pman92 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:01 am

Pman92

I struggled a lot with the blade and foreshortening. Do you think it looks convincing enough?

Postby alnoth » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:37 am

alnoth

i think you will never get it "right", because of the depth of field. if this had been a real situation your eye could never keep the tip of the blade focused as well as the person in the back - in real life you look about the scene and re-focus each time for each object. you either had to push the scene back enough for the difference between the tip of the blade and the person to be negligible to human eye focusing, or simply have to choose which you want to focus on, and blur the other...

Postby Otakatt » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:12 pm

Otakatt

Regarding the sword, you could try to have more of it visible instead of facing directly towards the viewer like that. If you look in the painting of the knighting going on, the sword points downwards quite a bit, rather than being a straight shoot off the shoulder.

Postby alnoth » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:35 am

alnoth

another tricky thing is, that the sword narrows as it reaches the tip. but in foreshortening, it widens. these two may cancel each other out and come out as straight, which again might seem odd...

i say just model the sword in a 3d app and point the camera the way you want :D

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Ambiguity

Otakatt wrote:Regarding the sword, you could try to have more of it visible instead of facing directly towards the viewer like that. If you look in the painting of the knighting going on, the sword points downwards quite a bit, rather than being a straight shoot off the shoulder.

+1 I was thinking the same thing. I'd even move the knight down 'cause that mid section seems crowded to me.

Return to Critique This!