Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Mystic » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Mystic

Subject title: My first Fantasy Illustration (PLZ critique)

I've always want to paint/draw something like this but typical procrasinating...But i finally did it. Doesn't look much but probably took me 8-10 hrs. O.o" That's because it's done mostly from imagination.This piece tested me on how much i really knows instead of the normal copying photograph ... Inspiration: Poseidon,god of sea.( from Percy Jackson Movie). Please give me constructive critizism ,though take it easy on me as i've said it's my first. I'd love it if Sycra would paint over it for me :D
429999_355960664493008_1443156300_n.jpg

Postby Fenix_N » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:56 pm

Fenix_N

You're off to a good start. One thing I'll point out to you is that different parts of Poseidon looks like they're being lite by different light sources.

Postby Mystic » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Mystic

haha,u probably right. cuz at first i tired to paint it with a certain light source in might,then i decide to add the background with got that moon so another light source.After that i figure i add the glowing thing to make him look like a god.So i'm kinda stuck right now on how to paint the light. (plus m not good at lughting in the first place). Mind helping me out with that?

Postby alnoth » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:45 pm

alnoth

his legs are much too short i think...

Postby fdm » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:05 pm

fdm

well, if its the legs or not, he is to small or his head is to big :)
remember a normal size would be between 7 and 8 heads if i remember correctly
i did not measure it but i would guess this is closer to 6 ;)

Postby Fenix_N » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Fenix_N

Here's a rough paintover to show the idea of the lighting. I would just do two light sources to keep it simple. The moon, and the trident. The moon would give rim lighting to his silhouette. The trident would light up his face and his upper torso. There would also be some bounce light from the water on his whole body. I suggest maybe changing his skin color so it's not the same as his armor. I didn't do it in the paintover but I would also make sure his face is brightly lite. Hope this helps you out somewhat.

crit.jpg

Postby Otakatt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Otakatt

I like Fenix's paintover. I think more contrast in the original would be great. As my high school art teacher said, "Don't be afraid of the dark". Making the dark areas of an image DARK can really help make it pop.

And the proportions are sorta iffy. The guy seems very dwarf-like to me because his limbs are short, and he's not enough head lengths tall. His positioning also confuses me. Is he supposed to be floating? Standing on water? If he's standing on water, maybe add some rippling in the water to indicate it?

With that said, it's a good start! I like it and I like the fact even in your first fantasy illustration you're doing a background and trying to make it cohesive and not trying to take any shortcuts.
short gai.jpg

Postby fdm » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:34 pm

fdm

seems like my 6 heads guess was spot on :D

Postby Mystic » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:54 am

Mystic

Fenix_N wrote:Here's a rough paintover to show the idea of the lighting. I would just do two light sources to keep it simple. The moon, and the trident. The moon would give rim lighting to his silhouette. The trident would light up his face and his upper torso. There would also be some bounce light from the water on his whole body. I suggest maybe changing his skin color so it's not the same as his armor. I didn't do it in the paintover but I would also make sure his face is brightly lite. Hope this helps you out somewhat.

crit.jpg

Alright,i didn't think of the idea that the trident could be a light source,i'll try that. Actually, his "skin tone" is actually gray,well blue-ish gray,same for the armour.But due to the background,somehow his skin look like it got "color" ,i figured that's cool.so i didn't try to color it.

Postby Mystic » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:59 am

Mystic

Otakatt wrote:I like Fenix's paintover. I think more contrast in the original would be great. As my high school art teacher said, "Don't be afraid of the dark". Making the dark areas of an image DARK can really help make it pop.

And the proportions are sorta iffy. The guy seems very dwarf-like to me because his limbs are short, and he's not enough head lengths tall. His positioning also confuses me. Is he supposed to be floating? Standing on water? If he's standing on water, maybe add some rippling in the water to indicate it?

With that said, it's a good start! I like it and I like the fact even in your first fantasy illustration you're doing a background and trying to make it cohesive and not trying to take any shortcuts.

Thz. And honestly,i was going to paint rippling water thing,but i realized i have no idea how to do that,so i add the glowing thingy and make floating instead.lol. And another lil secret,after like painting him for like 5 hrs,i suddenly realized his leg is too short.i actually resize it to make it longer,n if now his leg's too short,imagine wat de heck was i thinking the first 5hrs....lol

Postby Mystic » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:37 am

Mystic

Okay ,this is basically another 2 or 3 hrs. I think i got basically everything u guys say in. But i need to make sure if i got anything wrong ,before i go any further. Also is the water at his feet thing look stupid? I dunno how can i make it more realistic,though :/ ....
PoseidonIllustration2.jpg

Postby Fenix_N » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:02 am

Fenix_N

Hey, sorry about this, I made a mistake in the paintover. More of his left (our right) shoulder will be in light. Anyways, looking much better already! Maybe tone down his neck muscles a little bit. I wish I could help with the water but I don't have enough experience with that. Hopefully another member can help you out.

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:13 pm

Ambiguity

My go at it:
Tried something misty, like a water fall. At first I had tried something more like how a wave looks but it was looking weird, and I don't think it'd make sense given his size anyway.

I'm obviously not a pro at water either :P.

Postby Fenix_N » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:30 pm

Fenix_N

Btw, that guy looks a lot like Nicolas Cage. Does he play that part in the movie?

Postby Otakatt » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Otakatt

Such a big improvement overall Mystic! The image stands out a great deal more to me now.

However, I can't say I like the water shooting up around his legs like that. That sort of implies someone is shooting out of the water, but the man's pose is very static so it clashes. If you really wanna go that route I would at least recommend not making it go up so high as cutting him in half like that makes him look short and stumpy. I'm not great with digital painting or anything, but I tried to sketch out what I meant previously when I brought up a rippling effect.
feet.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:18 am

sgtmikey101

I love this picture so much!!! I really love the improvement you've done thus far!

Postby Mystic » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Mystic

Ambiguity wrote:My go at it:
Tried something misty, like a water fall. At first I had tried something more like how a wave looks but it was looking weird, and I don't think it'd make sense given his size anyway.

I'm obviously not a pro at water either :P.

i not sure about this,cuz i think the white of the misty smoke thingy would take the focus out of other more important places like his face...due to the high contrast between the white of the mist against the dark background....

Postby Mystic » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:26 pm

Mystic

Fenix_N wrote:Btw, that guy looks a lot like Nicolas Cage. Does he play that part in the movie?

I dun think so but it doesn't matter cuz i didn't try to paint like the Poseidon guy anyways,i just used him for the greek armour,but even the armour doesn't look like his armour much...lol

Postby Mystic » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Mystic

Otakatt wrote:Such a big improvement overall Mystic! The image stands out a great deal more to me now.

However, I can't say I like the water shooting up around his legs like that. That sort of implies someone is shooting out of the water, but the man's pose is very static so it clashes. If you really wanna go that route I would at least recommend not making it go up so high as cutting him in half like that makes him look short and stumpy. I'm not great with digital painting or anything, but I tried to sketch out what I meant previously when I brought up a rippling effect.

. and i know wat u mean by the rippling water (i googled it ! haha) but i think that's it too "weak'. make him shooting out of water kinda more "powerful" .i think the shooting water thing make him look short and weird ,too.but i added that as an afterthought.I'll try adjusting it a bit ,we'll see wat happen....

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Ambiguity

Mystic wrote:i not sure about this,cuz i think the white of the misty smoke thingy would take the focus out of other more important places like his face...due to the high contrast between the white of the mist against the dark background....

It's kind of hard not to take focus away with the composition and pose being the way it is. At best you can make sure he is the highest point of saturation, and give him brighter accents(like on his headband).

Anyways though, pretty much every hot spot in the painting has higher contrast right now then the brightest spot in the mist:
Spoiler: show

Postby Mystic » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Mystic

Ambiguity wrote:
Mystic wrote:i not sure about this,cuz i think the white of the misty smoke thingy would take the focus out of other more important places like his face...due to the high contrast between the white of the mist against the dark background....

It's kind of hard not to take focus away with the composition and pose being the way it is. At best you can make sure he is the highest point of saturation, and give him brighter accents(like on his headband).

Anyways though, pretty much every hot spot in the painting has higher contrast right now then the brightest spot in the mist:
Spoiler: show

Now m trying kinda a combination of shooting water and mist,so ....:D

Return to Critique This!