Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Otakatt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:50 am

Otakatt

Subject title: Witch~

Yeah I'm pretty stumped. I know the face lighting doesn't make sense, but I reeeally don't want to obscure her whole face in shadow. THINKING AHEAD, I R GOOD AT IT. -.- And I feel there's not really a place to draw a lantern without it looking awkward and drawing too much attention away.
Elly 5.jpg

Postby alnoth » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:16 am

alnoth

i think you might try putting the moon away (i know, i know, atmosphere, composition, etc. etc.).

the bluish overlay makes it clear the scene is lit by moonlight, imo.

one thing i would do tho, when her face is like this - shadow off the hat rim, i would definitely put a highlight on that rim which is supposedly casting a shadow over her eyes. why are her eyes completely blue, corner to corner? the pumpkins in the background are helping a lot! looking gooood...

edit: on a second thought, maybe i wouldnt... if i wouldnt i would make the light on her face not symmetrical. make a half of her face light up more than the other half.

Postby Otakatt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:31 am

Otakatt

I think I might just keep it as is and chalk it up as a learning experience. Plan ahead better in the future, etc. It's not such a huge deal I think it ruins the picture or anything. And rim and eyes just haven't been shaded yet is all. XD Well, they have NOW, I just haven't uploaded it yet. But I think it's almost done, just shading and touching it up.

Postby alnoth » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:38 am

alnoth

its nit picking really, overall it turned out really well i think...

Postby Waveloop » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:02 am

Waveloop

You can add a secondary light source without it actually appearing on the set, there´s no problem with that. or just reflected moon light. It pretty much a pin up, so you can treat it like a photography set. Cuz I feel it´s a shame it turn out so dark...

Postby Otakatt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:28 am

Otakatt

I'm a little torn about the dark too, but I did want to try something different instead of generic brightly colored character. I feel like my coloring tends to be boring and safe so it can't hurt to push those limits sometime. Hopefully. >> If anyone wants the lineart to color I can post the full size version of it if you want.

Also, tada?

Pumpkin Patch Ellysmall.png

ETA: Did an overlay layer to brighten it up and see how it'd look.

Pumpkin Patch EllyBright.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Ambiguity

I think even the dark one turned out really nice, the only think I don't understand is the solid highlight at the end of her hair.

Postby virtueone » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:14 pm

virtueone

It's certainly a successful enticing image. :shock: I think I like the brighter/warmer colors you went with too. Nice job. (I wish my work was as clean as this). ;)

Postby Otakatt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Otakatt

Patch Notes

+Altered lighting
+Tweaked background
-Removed strip of highlight from tip of hair

I think this is going to be the finished version. I feel it's done, and my art program agrees as it's pretty much out of memory for this particular image. Thank you guys so much for the critique and comments. DA is great for image sharing and all, but... not so much for critique. XD
Pumpkin Patch Ellysmall.png

Postby marvel57 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:41 pm

marvel57

Ottakat- now here you show damn good drawing knowledge and skills :ugeek: is it hot in here
:?

Postby alnoth » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:46 pm

alnoth

also, she is mooning the moon... ;)

Previous

Return to Critique This!