Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Otakatt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:24 pm

Otakatt

Subject title: Witch~

With Halloween close I figured I'd draw my witch character, but I can't get her pose right. Rather than scrap for an easier pose, I wanna try to make this idea work. Any critique would be appreciated. XD
Elly.jpg

Postby Fenix_N » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Fenix_N

Is the problem her feet and the pumpkin reaching the ground at different levels? You can make the pumpkin bigger or have her bend over more. You might consider having her hands turned more to the sides to have a more inviting pose. You could also have one hand grabbing at the other arm's elbows. This way she is lifting up her breasts and pushing them a bit forward with her forearm.

Postby Waveloop » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Waveloop

I would keep the legs strait, or one strait and one a little bent.
And Fenix's ideas are good too...

Postby alnoth » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:25 pm

alnoth

i would make her breasts smaller - i mean think about it, by the time she is 50 she'll be flapping them about her waist - have some mercy on your models. :D

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:24 am

Ambiguity

alnoth wrote:i would make her breasts smaller - i mean think about it, by the time she is 50 she'll be flapping them about her waist - have some mercy on your models. :D

This is obviously cartoony though, the woes of real life don't really apply.

Anyways, I think you should bring her far leg closure to the pumpkin, it looks weird/unbalanced tucked behind her other leg the way you have it imo.

Postby Otakatt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:33 am

Otakatt

I have embiggened the pumpkin, and shortened her torso some since it seemed too long to me with her bending like that. I also altered her hands to be facing outward more.

In regards to her bosom, it's supposed to be large - it's a gag for the character. XD But I don't usually draw them that big so I made them a little smaller in hopes of it looking more balanced, but hopefully still retaining a comically large bosom.

And I sketched this and THEN saw your post Ambiguity. I might change her legs up some. I started sketching her right leg coming forward with knee on pumpkin and I was liking that, but that came with some problems that needed sorting out and I was feeling lazy. Since people think it's off as is, I'll go back and tinker with that. I'm thinking if I do that though I'll have to extend the canvas and just draw her whole body, feet and all. Blegh, feet...
Elly.jpg

Postby Otakatt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:05 am

Otakatt

Did a quick sketch of what I was talking about. Not sure if awkward.
Elly2.jpg

Postby Waveloop » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:16 am

Waveloop

Quick sketch. I would do something it like this. B looking at it know,I would make her face the viewer, and lean her face against her right shoulder, it would look sexier... but of course that´s me... your second one is looking pretty good...
keep up
witch.png

Postby Otakatt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:13 am

Otakatt

Wow. That pose blows mine out of the water. o.o I need to spend more time on Posemaniacs. :oops: But using that pose, I came up with a different sketch. Better?
Elly 3.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:20 am

Ambiguity

Hm, I thought that pose looked awkward when Wave' sketched it, but I think you made it look really good. I like that you opened her mouth too, it looks like she was about to pick up the pumpkin when she heard a noise, as apposed to before when she was just randomly posing on it.

Postby alnoth » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:12 am

alnoth

nice, i like this...

heh i know its all cartoony - btw, lovely face in all your sketches. maybe its just me, but it seems her left shoulder is above her right shoulder yet her boobs are the other way round - makes it seem her rib cage is not symmetrical...

id love to paint over this, but have no tablet :( ... would bend her far knee and press it inward towards the closer knee (to make her hip really pop out) and tilt her head even more to the right and a bit downward so she is looking up at the camera (rising brow). but i like the pose as it is too.

Postby Otakatt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:33 am

Otakatt

Thanks so much for the comments and critiques <3 I am working on the lineart now - hopefully fixed the boob problem.
Elly 3.jpg

Postby alnoth » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:09 am

alnoth

yup, looks good to me... man, i love the faces you draw! ...envy, envy, envy...

what i like best about this image is her boobs right above the pumpkin lumps she is "offering". great allusion! "do you want these, or do you want THESE?" :D

Postby Waveloop » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:36 am

Waveloop

love it

Postby Otakatt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:02 pm

Otakatt

alnoth wrote:what i like best about this image is her boobs right above the pumpkin lumps she is "offering". great allusion! "do you want these, or do you want THESE?" :D

Haha, sounds about right for her. XD

You guys are so nice and helpful. <3 I really appreciate it. Won't be finishing the lineart now since I need to go to bed. x.o I'm on her skirt at the moment and it's blah. I've always been so so bad at skirts... For reference, here's a sketch of her outfit I did about a year ago - I'm making some changes in the new picture of course, like... that is entirely too much hair.

I'm also not sure if that skirt (that one of my friends dubbed as "irresponsibly short") is TOO short. It wouldn't be unlike her to traipse around in something like that, but I still wanna draw something that doesn't look hideous.
Elly 3.jpg

Postby alnoth » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:56 pm

alnoth

well from seeing how far up the back edge of the skirt comes when she bends over.... yah, irresponsibly short! :D

Postby Fenix_N » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:11 pm

Fenix_N

Nice work man. Also liking the linework so far.

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:53 am

Ambiguity

I agree, that's very short, but I thought that was the point. Might be ok depending on how thick those leggings are though.

Postby Otakatt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:44 am

Otakatt

Liiiines. I did them differently than usual too. I don't usually work on a picture so large (I'm uploading it at 16%) because I fail at making long strokes on a huge canvas, so this is a combination of hand drawn lines and lines done with ink tool. I'm thinking I should do this more often because I like being able to work large. XD Just takes a bit longer than usual, but I'm guessing one reason is because I'm not used to the ink tool. ETA: And some lines still need erasing, I know. I just don't like doing that until riiiight before I start coloring.
Elly 3.jpg

Postby Waveloop » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:38 am

Waveloop

Great job. I wish I had that kind of discipline when it comes to line art! Something about the stomach area that look a bit plane to me... it´s somehow very linear, and it´s right at the center of the page, so my eyes tend to lock on that area... I don´t have any suggestions though... :? maybe with coloring things will fall in place.
But it´s awesome...gives a nostalgic feeling. It´s really coool 8-)

Postby Otakatt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:43 am

Otakatt

Thanks. ^^ Hopefully coloring will sort out that issue. I've been working on a background for this. I'm pretty bad with them so I usually skip out on them but I'd like to actually put effort into this picture. Right now I'm toying with the idea of putting some pumpkins in the background.
Elly 3.jpg

Postby Otakatt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:12 am

Otakatt

I put base colors down, darkened her a bit to match the environment, then threw some rough shadows down to see if I liked the direction this is going on. I'm really trying to take the environment into account but I'm not sure if this is going to be too dark and muted if I keep going.

I'm also gonna have to start merging more layers or make this smaller since my ram sucks and I don't have much more to use for this picture. :\
Elly 4.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:14 am

Ambiguity

Hmm, well some of the moonlight will probably rim light her to describe her silhouette, but you might add a lantern in front of her if you want more light.

If you don't want to be so realistic with the lighting, I've noticed a lot of other people aren't either when they do halloween illustrations, unless they add a light source(usually a jack-o-lantern :roll: ) or are going for a scary look.

Postby alnoth » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:21 am

alnoth

I agree, that's very short, but I thought that was the point. Might be ok depending on how thick those leggings are though.

what leggings...?

i agree the lighting is strange, the moon is right behind her, so her face would be completely dark. i dont think its a problem that we can see her, but the way you lit her face and arms (with the strong shadow line) makes a statement that it is *NOT* indirect or ambient light - thats why im asking myself where is the source of that light?

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:39 am

Ambiguity

alnoth wrote:

what leggings...?

Those leggings ↓
Otakatt wrote:For reference, here's a sketch of her outfit I did about a year ago - I'm making some changes in the new picture of course, like... that is entirely too much hair.

Next

Return to Critique This!