Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby jafaime » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:42 am

jafaime

Subject title: for critique

Photoshop cs4 + wacom intuos 3 + :)
skulltopus_by_jafaime-d54m587.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:43 am

sgtmikey101

holy crud this is awesome

Postby alnoth » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:04 am

alnoth

haha, i like the mixed anatomy - human eyes, skull-like nose thing on top of an octopus...? why not? ;)

if im to crit this, i think theres a pencil drawing underneath, even for shading. it gives a bit of a rough texture to the octopus. i think i would like to make the octopus more shiny/smooth/slimy.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:23 am

Ambiguity

In addition to what alnoth said, I think the background is a tad too bright. It kind of takes the focus away from the octopus for me even though there isn't anything going on back there.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:22 pm

sgtmikey101

I agree and disagree with what has been said. You can go either route with what these guys said, but is it weird that i prefer the pencil sketchiness underneath? But i suppose if it was shinier it would have a different cleaner impression on me. I think the background color being bright is left up to opinion, i personally like it because the subject is bright and it coordinates with it. But i see where ambiguity is coming from it can take away the viewers focus from the subject. If you decide to create a more elaborate background play around with some darker backgrounds to see how that suits the subject.

Postby slamothecow » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:44 pm

slamothecow

It really does look so awesome. I even like the color you chose for the background. I don't think that the octopus needs to be shinier but the background could be a little darker. I think that it would make your subject more menacing, It would also help to give it a more underwater feel. You can even add some bubbles to really bring the scene alive. I really love it, and I can't stop looking at it!! Please post more.

Postby jafaime » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:38 pm

jafaime

thanks for the critiques!... and yes, that pencil drawing underneath is annoying, i need to make my inking... but im soooo lazy :) and for sure some underwater bubbles and light wound be cool.

Return to Critique This!