Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby newcomer » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:52 pm

newcomer

Subject title: Hi im new can somebody give me some advice~

]i really love art but have never taken any actual art course. i feel i don't really understand how colors work. i read some articles about primary colors, complementary colors bla bla bla... however i don't really understand how they would be used in an actual painting. Another issue that i feel i am having is that my painting always looks muddy, and some people recommended to used 100%opacity brushes, but i feel that it is really awkward and i can't do anything like that. Here are some of my works, and can anyone please critique them~thx

Girl1.JPG
i don't know for sure but i feel some part of her body is wrong, i think it's her pelvis

Girls2.JPG
i think i drew her upper arm

Postby alnoth » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:22 pm

alnoth

yup, the hip is too much

Postby Fenix_N » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:44 am

Fenix_N

In the first picture, I actually think it's her head that might be the problem. It looks like it might be too small. I'm not sure but something about it bothers me. I think you have some skill in painting. It looks good to me overall. Things looks kinda sketchy though, so it's hard to critique. Like I would see some weird transitions and it's hard to say if they're mistakes or if it's just because it's a paint sketch.

Anyways, colors are pretty complex and takes are long time to learn. I would keep reading those articles and keep experimenting with them at least once in a while. Things like using complementary colors will keep your composition balanced. Colors have temperature. My painting professor told me that red paper will actually melt ice faster than blue paper when placed next to ice. So my professor told me to think of colors having both visual and physical temperatures. Also think of colors having an affect on you on an emotional and psychological level. For example, every fast food chain will have red and yellow in their logo. Supposedly it makes you more hungry. Hospitals are usually painted in kinda pale blue or green to help calm you.

Postby Otakatt » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:27 am

Otakatt

Fenix has it right, the heads are too small for those bodies. As is, they look entirely too tall because of how many heads tall they are. Keeping in mind how many heads tall a person is when drawing them is pretty helpful. Usually when I sketch out a body and just try to eyeball it I make them look too tall, but I count the heads on another layer And squish it to the right height when it's still a rough sketch so it looks more solid in the end.

I think generally women are 7-7.5 heads tall? Someone can (and probably will!) correct me on that if I'm wrong. I think some go for 8 heads if aiming for an "ideal" body (like for a superheroine)
demheads.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:45 am

Ambiguity

The color wheel stuff has to do with composition, but I'd say start with learning how light affects colors in real life first.
Read First
Read Second

As for your painting's looking muddy, these might help:
Brush Control pt.1(pt.2 is on that same site if you're interested)
Photoshop painting tips 3 ways to smooth color and avoid muddy color

Return to Critique This!