Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby SlimRock » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:06 am

SlimRock

Subject title: Random Heads and Mask practise - Critiq

just practising, wat r ur thoughts !!!
Head Practice Small.jpg
Head Practice color small.jpg

Postby Fenix_N » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:27 am

Fenix_N

Practice is always good. Not sure if this a style choice but your eyes are placed higher than where they appear normally on the face. You have a lot of designs going which is good. It reminds me of how I used to practice design in my sketchbook. I would draw knights next to airships next to monsters, lol. Well, I have changed my format when I practice design in my sketchbook nowadays though. I usually try to limit myself to one theme. For example, the other day I sketch several different heavy armor sets for females in a medieval fantasy setting. Then in another page I sketch some environments for that world. I just do it because it's probably more similar to how you will be assigned work as a concept artist. They'll probably give you certain constraints and guidelines and you'll have to work in those guidelines. Hmm.. now that I think about it, I probably started doing that because school has been kinda forcing me to work that way.

Postby SlimRock » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:01 am

SlimRock

Nice tip man, i usually start of with one theme, but then since i aint doin it for any client, a cool idea just creeps in my mind and i just have to doodle it down.
but ill try to practice more constraint. especially since i want to be a future concept artist... :) its gud to know ur goin 2 school, wish i was u dude, which school is it, is it Pas inst.( Carlifornia)...? :?:

Postby Fenix_N » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Fenix_N

Right now, I'm just going to a community college called Orange Coast College. I might go to Laguna College of Art and Design after since I heard they had a good game art program, but I'm just trying to get good enough to start working once I get my certificate at OCC. It all depends though, I heard you can get partial tuition waivers and scholarships if you have a good portfolio, so I'm just trying to work on that right now. If I can afford it, I'll go to Art school, if not, I'll try working. If that doesn't work out, I'm probably going to enlist in the Air Force. It's probably the branch that will give me the most time and accommodations to keep practicing art. And after two years, they'll help pay for my school so that would be great. But yea, I kinda want to avoid that if possible.

But yea, it's a good idea to sketch down an idea, but I would just keep it a sketch in a physical design sketchbook or in a file somewhere and continue working with constraints. You can always go back and develop your ideas further. I mean, it must be important if even community college classes are emphasizing it. Almost every one of my professors use the term "problem solving." They give you specific design problems and constraints and you have to solve it within those constraints.

Postby SlimRock » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:36 pm

SlimRock

Dude, luks like u hav a lot of things planned out.. osum.
I dont know which route to take, : go to school, or improve and make a good portfolio and look for jobs coz time is still flying by.
nway , osum suggestions as usual.
check my sketch "mechs and ships" in sketchbook and tell me wat u think.

Return to Critique This!