Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Wazzup1721 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:45 pm

Wazzup1721

Subject title: Learning to color/paint

Digital painting is one of the most challenging things for me, I just can't seem to wrap my mind around the process!
These are some attempts

I feel I've done a pretty fair job on the face here, but I can't even begin to color his body and clothing

Postby Matej » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:48 pm

Matej

Try watching few of his tutorials : http://www.ctrlpaint.com/digital-painti ... rentPage=2

Postby Wazzup1721 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:57 pm

Wazzup1721

Matej wrote:Try watching few of his tutorials : http://www.ctrlpaint.com/digital-painti ... rentPage=2

Will do! Thank you!

Postby Stoyben » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:57 pm

Stoyben

Remember to use general colors with your paintings (Red,Orange,Green,Blue,Violet [purple]). Using a light opacity this will help you obtain a "richer" quality to your drawings/paintings. To practice seeing these colors take a "white" object and color it without using white.
You can't spell earth without art.

Postby Wazzup1721 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:09 pm

Wazzup1721

Stoyben wrote:Remember to use general colors with your paintings (Red,Orange,Green,Blue,Violet [purple]). Using a light opacity this will help you obtain a "richer" quality to your drawings/paintings. To practice seeing these colors take a "white" object and color it without using white.

Ah, so was it a poor choice to color the top image's hair with brown?
I'm a little confused, I apologize xD

Postby Stoyben » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:32 pm

Stoyben

"Ah, so was it a poor choice to color the top image's hair with brown?
I'm a little confused, I apologize xD"

It's alright to be "confused' it's a hard thing to grasp at first. What i'm saying is to add complementary darker/ lighter colors to the pictures, like if someone has brown hair the complimentary colors would be a blueish green
(cyan) same goes for the face the reds would have a complement of green . Google color theory for more information on complementary colors.
You can't spell earth without art.

Postby Wazzup1721 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:04 am

Wazzup1721

Stoyben wrote:"Ah, so was it a poor choice to color the top image's hair with brown?
I'm a little confused, I apologize xD"

It's alright to be "confused' it's a hard thing to grasp at first. What i'm saying is to add complementary darker/ lighter colors to the pictures, like if someone has brown hair the complimentary colors would be a blueish green
(cyan) same goes for the face the reds would have a complement of green . Google color theory for more information on complementary colors.

I see, I see
That's very helpful, thank you!

Postby Shadonra » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:24 am

Shadonra

I also recommend just painting in black and white in values, and then moving on to color value and then learning more about basic planes and light, after that color will be more of a breeze

Postby Sycra » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Sycra
Site Admin

I agree with what's been said. and would just like to add that you don't need to worry about painting too much. You're doing well, and you will get better with practice, so don't feel discouraged or impatient because you will learn a lot by just doing a lot of paintings.

Postby Wazzup1721 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:10 am

Wazzup1721

Shadonra wrote:I also recommend just painting in black and white in values, and then moving on to color value and then learning more about basic planes and light, after that color will be more of a breeze

Hmmm, that's a really great idea! Thank you :'D

Postby Wazzup1721 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:11 am

Wazzup1721

Sycra wrote:I agree with what's been said. and would just like to add that you don't need to worry about painting too much. You're doing well, and you will get better with practice, so don't feel discouraged or impatient because you will learn a lot by just doing a lot of paintings.

Thank you! That's really encouraging coming from someone so talented <3
I shall do my best!

Postby Cartesian Theater » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:38 am

Cartesian Theater

The highlights just look a bit strong to me. That might be why you're struggling with the clothing; fabric has almost no highlight compared to skin, so it's easy to make things look fake or plastic-like just by using slightly too strong a highlight on something that's supposed to be organic.

Postby Zargogo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:12 am

Zargogo

Mumrik wrote:Watching this a second time I think I see what the problem is. It's not your colours but the thick lineart. With some photoshop magic I made the thick lines less noticable. You see how much more organic the body looks now? I don't think there is anything wrong with your colouring. I think your lines just are too thick and your shadows doesn't fade to black.

Yeah but now the change from dark to light is way too fast. It almost seems as if someone's shining a spotlight on the character or something. :)
This is something I've noticed in a lot of people's artwork of the human body. It makes the skin look more... "plastic" I guess.
But other than that, you're right - it does make the drawing look more organic.

Postby Shoethief » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:16 pm

Shoethief

I don't think the line thickness is the issue. Adam Hughes sometimes uses some pretty thick lines and his work is just amazing. One thing you might want to try though is making the lines a transparency layer so you can color them a different color.

Postby sahrab » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:00 pm

sahrab

its very good (the face) !!
good color blending and overall paint

Postby Wazzup1721 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:41 am

Wazzup1721

I'm not sure if it can be critiqued at this point, but if it can I will listen!

Postby Cartesian Theater » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:44 pm

Cartesian Theater

Are you planning to add more to the negative space? Because it's usually not recommended to have two thirds of the image blank unless it's for the purpose of creating a specific shape or mood.

Postby Wazzup1721 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:41 pm

Wazzup1721

Cartesian Theater wrote:Are you planning to add more to the negative space? Because it's usually not recommended to have two thirds of the image blank unless it's for the purpose of creating a specific shape or mood.

Well yes, I was either going to add more to it or just crop the image, I haven't decided yet though xD

Postby Zargogo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:22 am

Zargogo

Isn't the neck a bit too long? :)

Postby Wazzup1721 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:17 pm

Wazzup1721

Zargogo wrote:Isn't the neck a bit too long? :)

Yes, but purposefully

Postby BleedingProse » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:53 pm

BleedingProse

I love this image! And I'd just like to mention that you are great at drawing digitally, personally I find it harder to draw than to paint on a tablet. I'd also like to mention that you should give gray scale a try. By drawing something in black and white first it allows you to focus on the values and then, only after the values are correct, can you add color. This method made things a lot easier for me.

Postby Wazzup1721 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:52 pm

Wazzup1721

BleedingProse wrote:I love this image! And I'd just like to mention that you are great at drawing digitally, personally I find it harder to draw than to paint on a tablet. I'd also like to mention that you should give gray scale a try. By drawing something in black and white first it allows you to focus on the values and then, only after the values are correct, can you add color. This method made things a lot easier for me.

Thank you so much! Everyone seems to think I should do gray scale first, so I guess I will xD
Hahaha

Return to Critique This!