Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Saphy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:26 pm

Saphy

Subject title: Shadow placement?

A painting I've started but kind of feel like I'm going in a little blind with how shadows work on the face so any advice on how darks and lights work would be appreciated. Of course if anything else sticks out as wrong do let me know.

Postby Gellywoo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Gellywoo

well first you have to decide where the light source is coming from, once you do that you can start to place shadows in. for example if its coming from above her the shadows will fall underneath the jaw line nose eyes etc it also depends on how intense the light source is as well hope this helps out. i would do a paint over to show what i mean but i have to leave for work unfortunately :(

Postby Stoyben » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:01 pm

Stoyben

Something like this?

You can't spell earth without art.

Postby Roger » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:21 am

Roger

Yeah, without a light source knowing where to place shadows becomes difficult. The idea of a light source should be forming in your head as you sketch out your drawing.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Postby Gellywoo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:29 am

Gellywoo

okay, well if we go with Stoyben's placement of light the lighting would look something like this, oh and I added some eyes in hope you don't mind.

saphy paint over.png

You have to remember though if the light is placed elsewhere the shadows will change drastically.

On another note what really helped me understand shadows and lighting were 3D modeling text books from when I attended school. They not only show you how light affects your object but it also explains how ambient lights affect the object as well, which plays a big part with lighting and shadows. I'm sure a local bookstore has some similar books that can help you more with this.

Hope I helped out a little bit :D

Postby BleedingProse » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:03 pm

BleedingProse

First of all, whenever you start something new you must decide on a light source. Where is it coming from? Is it ambient light? Fluorescent light? Candle light? Etc. Once you've decided that you need to think of how your subject will interact with the light source. In this case you have a girl--stop thinking about her as a drawing and think about her as a person, a 3 dimensional person. During the day take note on how shadows and highlights play on people (and their clothes) as they pass you by, or look at your self in a mirror and try and simulate the light source.

And remember there is nothing wrong with a good reference photo. You don't always need to draw exactly what you see. Try and find a photo of a person (any person) with a similar light source and try to recreate those shadows and highlights on your own work. Don't be afraid to play with strong shadows or highlights, if used correctly they can give depth to an image.

Your drawing itself is very well done, with a bit of studying and some practice I'm sure you'll grasp the basics of light and shadow.

PS. Never think as a drawing as solely shadows, think of it as light or the absence thereof. Highlights are just as important! ;)

Return to Critique This!