Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Menokokoro » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:40 pm

Menokokoro

Subject title: Starting class in a week, but any help is great.

I'm going to post something in this every once in a while, and ask for some advice etc. I'll have teachers to help me, starting school in a week :). But getting advice from more than one person is always good haha.

This was just some practice pictures, but I like the completed figure drawing.

I'm open to any and all critiques (obviously, why else would I put it here.) I already know the hands kind of suck, and I'm working on my hands.

This is one of my favorite dragon drawings (I've done).

Postby zporpnitteg » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:31 pm

zporpnitteg

I have problems with arms/hands etc. aswell! You should take more time on propotion! Good luck!

Postby Stoyben » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Stoyben

Doing some general anatomy studies will help with your drawings; individual sections and completed figures. Also I noticed that you place the eyes a tad higher than normal on the head I don't know if this is on purpose or not. (not trying to be mean just trying to help)
You can't spell earth without art.

Postby Menokokoro » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:16 am

Menokokoro

Well, I asked for criticism, nothing you said was rude, thank you for your advice. I got a cartooning book for christmas, so I was trying to do it more of a cartoonish way...which I've never tried before haha.

Postby Matej » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:28 pm

Matej

Menokokoro wrote:Well, I asked for criticism, nothing you said was rude, thank you for your advice. I got a cartooning book for christmas, so I was trying to do it more of a cartoonish way...which I've never tried before haha.

Try to read some books on www.sycra.net under resorces. It will help you to progress faster if you are into it.

Postby Sycra » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:27 pm

Sycra
Site Admin

Would you mind if I did a vid critique of the dragon picture?

Postby Menokokoro » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:07 am

Menokokoro

Not at all. That would be awesome actually!

Postby Cartesian Theater » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:34 am

Cartesian Theater

Hey Meno, I am actually both an artist and a model, so I would like to offer some friendly advice - not on your drawing, which is pretty cool, but about making the most of art class. I've had a lot of teachers that just let the students draw and comment on things like value and shape, but to me the most important thing is to learn to use your eyes. Whether you're drawing a bowl of fruit or a cute young girl like me *cough* just remember to pick out things like proportion and value with your eyes before trying to draw it. The worst mistake people make every time is that they look up at the subject a couple times, draw for a few minutes, and by the time they look up again realize they just drew a dozen lines in the wrong place.

Postby Menokokoro » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:40 am

Menokokoro

Cartesian Theater wrote:...or a cute young girl like me *cough*...
I must be very impressionable, because this made me attracted to you...someone I've never seen haha.

Thanks for the advice! I've actually noticed that about myself when I draw from life (or still image, whatever). I have spent so much time drawing from my own mind, knowing exactly what I see in it, that it's hard for me to draw what my EYES see, instead of my mind...I'll definitely work on that :)

Postby Kricket » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:05 am

Kricket

Menokokoro wrote:I'm going to post something in this every once in a while, and ask for some advice etc. I'll have teachers to help me, starting school in a week :). But getting advice from more than one person is always good haha.

When you're starting out don't draw clothing, it lets you hide mistakes. Draw nudes. Some people get antsy about it, but once you master the basics, drawing clothing on top is easy.

Postby Menokokoro » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:28 am

Menokokoro

Wow, it has been a while. Well, I watched the critique on my drawing above today, and I thought I'd kill some time between classes and draw another dragon using what I learned from the video. So here it is.

Still looking for critiques, I know it isn't a perfect drawing, but I think it is much better than the one above.

P.S. Thanks a lot Sycra, you don't know how much I've learned just from watching your videos, and now your personalized critiques are just amazing!

Postby Kingw777 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:40 am

Kingw777

nice work on the new drawing and sycra the video was great. with this new piece you can see its improved by leaps and bounds but i would suggest fixing up where the dragon is breathing the fire at or change the direction of the wing in relation to the body because its giving the viewer the impression that the dragon is burning his own wing. other than that looking good, keep up the good work!!

Postby Menokokoro » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:31 am

Menokokoro

Kingw777 wrote:nice work on the new drawing and sycra the video was great. with this new piece you can see its improved by leaps and bounds but i would suggest fixing up where the dragon is breathing the fire at or change the direction of the wing in relation to the body because its giving the viewer the impression that the dragon is burning his own wing. other than that looking good, keep up the good work!!

Oh yeah...didn't think about that haha.

Postby Zargogo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:22 am

Zargogo

My suggestion is not not add so many unnecessary lines like you've done on the wings.

Postby BleedingProse » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:47 pm

BleedingProse

You have really improved since your first dragon drawing. I really like the second one, there's something about a fire breathing dragon that just captures someone's attention.

I'd like to add on to what a few other people have already said. I love the wings and the head in this drawing--they're my favorite part-- but in comparison to them the body and limbs are too small. From my perspective it seems like the torso is roughly the same size as the head. Judging from the tower I get the feeling we're supposed to be looking down on it which naturally foreshortens a few things, but in general you need to find balance between the different parts to form a whole image.

Postby Menokokoro » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:45 pm

Menokokoro

BleedingProse wrote:You have really improved since your first dragon drawing. I really like the second one, there's something about a fire breathing dragon that just captures someone's attention.

I'd like to add on to what a few other people have already said. I love the wings and the head in this drawing--they're my favorite part-- but in comparison to them the body and limbs are too small. From my perspective it seems like the torso is roughly the same size as the head. Judging from the tower I get the feeling we're supposed to be looking down on it which naturally foreshortens a few things, but in general you need to find balance between the different parts to form a whole image.
Yeah, now that I look at it again, I can see how the head is quite big for the body. As for the wings being too big, I don't think they are haha. Most dragon pictures, the wings are too small...at least in my opinion.

Postby Menokokoro » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:45 am

Menokokoro

Spoiler: show

Okay, now, I am not used to using ink on my drawings, so I would love some critiques on this, apart from the obvious laziness on the background. Also, if you have any tips on the drawing itself...if you can make anything out haha, thanks :)

Postby Menokokoro » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:47 am

Menokokoro

Oh, and it can be used for critique, I'm not shy :).

Postby Shoethief » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:50 am

Shoethief

One thing I'd say for the dragons wings is make them look more like bat wings. Find some examples to study on the net and you'll notice they're kind of the same structure as human hands with super long fingers and webbing in between.

Postby Menokokoro » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:31 pm

Menokokoro

huh...thanks for that, Never actually realized that there are joints in the "fingers" like that.

Return to Critique This!