Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

 

Postby BlackHat0 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:20 pm

User avatar
  BlackHat0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Subject title: Anything I can improve on?

Hello, this is my very first post. Thank you very much for taking a look. Have fun criticizing my art :D
"You can use this for a video critique"


Image
Last edited by BlackHat0 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

 

Postby Kingw777 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:52 am

User avatar
  Kingw777
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:43 am

Hey Great looking image! Im just getting into digital stuff and painting myself but dont worry theres LOTS of great artists on here thatll be ore than happy to help out! welcome to th site! :D

 

Postby plixik » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:49 am

User avatar
  plixik
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:17 am
Location: Buffalo, NY

I'm having trouble telling if the mech is in water, in fog, or smoking.

 

Postby Zargogo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:21 am

  Zargogo
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:49 am
Location: Canada

Unless the mech is made out of wood, or is in REALLY foggy weather, it should have more "shine". Know what I mean?

 

Postby BlackHat0 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:57 am

User avatar
  BlackHat0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:44 pm

plixik wrote:I'm having trouble telling if the mech is in water, in fog, or smoking.


Hahaha, it was actually suppose to be clouds. The image I had in my head when making this was something really big (wasn't planning on a mech to begin with) that was passing through a cloud layer in sky. Though I think I helped adding size to it by adding people on his arm, I can't really say that I did a good job implementing that it was in the sky.

Thank you for your comment :D

 

Postby BlackHat0 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:02 am

User avatar
  BlackHat0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Zargogo wrote:Unless the mech is made out of wood, or is in REALLY foggy weather, it should have more "shine". Know what I mean?


I think I know what you're saying yes. I did actually add more lighter colors to it to add more shine, but it looked very out of place for some reason. But I can see what you mean, metal is very reflective and pick up a lot of light so it should have more of a shine to it.

Thank you for the comment :D

 

Postby BlackHat0 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:04 am

User avatar
  BlackHat0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Kingw777 wrote:Hey Great looking image! Im just getting into digital stuff and painting myself but dont worry theres LOTS of great artists on here thatll be ore than happy to help out! welcome to th site! :D


Thank you for the nice comment :D

 

Postby plixik » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:24 am

User avatar
  plixik
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:17 am
Location: Buffalo, NY

You can reply to multiple people in a single post by clicking more quote buttons at the bottom of the reply screen. Just for future reference.

My first assumption was that it was broken and sitting in water. To make things a bit more clear, I would pull out the camera, give the mech a more active/dynamic pose, and make it obvious it is flying up in the sky by making more fluffy and cloud-like clouds.

Also be careful with where you crop your image. Try not to do things like cutting of only the very end of the gun.

I did a quick sketch of kinda what i meant. It pretty rough, but I tried to give a sense of motion, like he's flying through the clouds. I also angled the camera up at him for the sense of scale. Some background mechs and some kind of foreground element wouldn't hurt either.
343453.jpg


I've never really drawn mechs before, but I kinda want to all the sudden.

 

Postby BlackHat0 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:22 pm

User avatar
  BlackHat0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:44 pm

plixik wrote:You can reply to multiple people in a single post by clicking more quote buttons at the bottom of the reply screen. Just for future reference.

My first assumption was that it was broken and sitting in water. To make things a bit more clear, I would pull out the camera, give the mech a more active/dynamic pose, and make it obvious it is flying up in the sky by making more fluffy and cloud-like clouds.

Also be careful with where you crop your image. Try not to do things like cutting of only the very end of the gun.

I did a quick sketch of kinda what i meant. It pretty rough, but I tried to give a sense of motion, like he's flying through the clouds. I also angled the camera up at him for the sense of scale. Some background mechs and some kind of foreground element wouldn't hurt either.

I've never really drawn mechs before, but I kinda want to all the sudden.


Thank you so much for the tips. Very useful :D And you even made a quick sketch?! That is so nice of you! I will be sure to make use of what you've told me. Thank you :D

 

Postby plixik » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:53 am

User avatar
  plixik
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:17 am
Location: Buffalo, NY

No problem, I'm glad it helped. :D

 

Postby Roger » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:15 am

User avatar
  Roger
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:02 am
Location: CA, USA

If you wanted it too look like clouds, try think it as smoke, there is many types of grey in smoke that gives it the effect.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

 

Postby BlackHat0 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:09 am

User avatar
  BlackHat0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Roger wrote:If you wanted it too look like clouds, try think it as smoke, there is many types of grey in smoke that gives it the effect.


Ah! Okay, thanks! :D


Return to Critique This!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests