Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby datadata33 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:28 pm

datadata33

Subject title: I need critiques on this sketch

I've never done digital painting in my life so I decided to take the step and made a sketch so I can paint over it, but I want it to be as good as it can, that way the painting part should be easier to a beginner like me. All ideas and critiques are accepted and of course sycra can use it for a video critique, that would be great.

note: any tips and ideas on how should I go on painting this are welcome ;)
img312 (1).jpg

Postby plixik » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:30 pm

plixik

You have a very stiff pose and it would benefit greatly from 'S' curves and opposing curves. Especially his right leg.

There is a great DVD I have by David Finch that does a wonderful job of explaining this.
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/ ... A-The-Body

I've marked the curves I mentioned in this image:

09.jpg

Your pose is awkward as well. Just practice more figure drawing and drawing some dynamic hands.

Keep drawing and good luck! I hope this helped. :)

Postby Shoethief » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:50 am

Shoethief

Yeah I'd say make the pose a bit more dynamic as well. Do some studies on anatomy and that will help immensely. And don't be afraid to look up references on period clothing and weapons as well. The more accurate and believable your drawing is the impact it'll have. You're on the right track! :D

Postby sahrab » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:48 pm

sahrab

and sword and hand pose seems a bit unrealistic try changing the handle imo

Return to Critique This!