Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby HxCEdgy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:40 am

HxCEdgy

Subject title: Paintig help!

Hey everyone,

I bean doing digital art for awhile now and i have seam to hit a wall with my work today i did this orc painting just a quick thing. when i start off i do my greyacele building up the form but once i add colour it seams to go down the pan i just seam to hit a wall. if you like to see more of my work go to my DA edgy-x.deviantart.com/

here is the orc painting. You can use this for a video critique!!!
orc2.jpg

Postby Stoyben » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:07 am

Stoyben

If you aren't getting the vibrancy you want try increasing the contrast (differences between light and dark). Also with a light source like fire it would reflect on the body of the orc. Meaning that the highlights on the body would be reds/oranges or have hints of red/oranges. Great work I see a lot of potential.
You can't spell earth without art.

Postby HxCEdgy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:27 pm

HxCEdgy

Stoyben wrote:If you aren't getting the vibrancy you want try increasing the contrast (differences between light and dark). Also with a light source like fire it would reflect on the body of the orc. Meaning that the highlights on the body would be reds/oranges or have hints of red/oranges. Great work I see a lot of potential.

Think I can see what you are saying, if i add more Darks and lights my painting may i have a bit more depth but once i add my colour i need to start thinking about secondly light source like you said the torch, also may i ask in the stage of doing your sketch do you fine when your have a more detailed sketch your painting come out better? thank you for your feeback i will update a pciture today to see where it goes from

Postby datadata33 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:03 pm

datadata33

Try to add some texture or noise to the painting, seeing it I notice a lot of "smooth" areas that could have something interesting, specially in the face and the abdominal parts of the orc, have in mind that maybe the skin isn't as soft as it looks. That and the lighting mentioned before and it should be going in a better direction. Overall its a pretty good painting.

Postby HxCEdgy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:27 am

HxCEdgy

this is a updated version from the advice I got :)
orc4.jpg

Postby Kingw777 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:49 am

Kingw777

looking MUCH better! nice work! :D

Postby HxCEdgy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:32 pm

HxCEdgy

Kingw777 wrote:looking MUCH better! nice work! :D

Thank you very much :)

Postby sahrab » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:32 pm

sahrab

just a troll warning tip change the place his left hand is cuz that looks like hes touching hes junk

Return to Critique This!