Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Dizzard » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:26 am

Dizzard

Subject title: Thoughts on this value exercise I did?

I've been following a lighting course online and the first assignment was taking an unusual shape and using values to give it a 3d look. I was wondering if someone could give some constructive criticism on it?
newValuesExperiment.png

Postby Audiazif » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:20 pm

Audiazif

I think maybe you are missing some occlusion shadows and reflected light. Also the cast shadow may need some work, mainly where the middle cylinder casts a shadow. Another thing is you may be going too dark with the shadows, this is dependent on the lighting situation. Last thing is I think the texture on the center part dose not match the lighting situation.

I think to give a more detailed crit you need to give more information. What kind of light? What are the materials? Is there an ambient light source? etc.

Otherwise this is a good first step. I would maybe do bunch more. Or maybe do a couple still lifes. Don't think that you are going to learn everything from one study.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby perkexpert » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:52 am

perkexpert

Tipp: Remodel this thing in the real world (light grey), then put a light on it similar to the task, then evaluate your mistakes. You will learn a TON. Alternative: Do this in a 3D application with a realistic renderer.
I also noticed that your cast shadows are off (ground), the texture in the middle doesn't match valuewise and your formshadows need work too. Otherwise excellent exercise. Watch the other ppls approach to this
too, the course is really good.
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Return to Critique This!