Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Kavilen » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:29 am

Kavilen

Subject title: Proportion, anatomy, and gesture? *NSFW*

Not completely finished, but I decided to revisit an old drawing which is somehow better than most of my recent ones. Just wondering what I could do to fix her. Anything at all. I haven't shaded, nor finished her hands and feet. Will have to work on that. I also do realize that her torso might be a bit too big for her head? Any critiques are appreciated, thank you! ............................... Also, I don't know why I cant flip it, but it just stays like that. Sorry!
20190101_021810_1_1000x1000.jpg

Postby Audiazif » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:51 pm

Audiazif

Did you use any references or is this a pose you made up?
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Kavilen » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:52 am

Kavilen

Made up. Need to start using references, now that I think about it

Postby Audiazif » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:50 pm

Audiazif

Using reference would be a good start. You'll have something to measure and compare against.

I think proportion wise you have the length of the torso pretty much correct. The issue is the widths of things, they are just too wide compared to the head or other parts. Another thing is the limbs are short and they seem even shorter because of how stocky you made them. Measuring is really the only effective way I can think of to help this. As far as this drawing is concerned and future drawings I think anatomy should be an after thought or at least not at the forefront of things. I think you went into detail and anatomy too early. Learn the larger shapes and how they fit and play together. This kind of leads into gesture. In gesture you need to forget about details and concentrate more on the movement/feeling of things. Knowing the larger shapes like the back of your hand will open you up to concentrate on movement/feeling. This is a very difficult concept to really explain. It is just one of those things you need to learn by doing and seeing others doing.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Gevoian » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:44 pm

Gevoian

Hey Kavilen! Your drawing has solid porportions of the landmarks of the bodyparts and figure. The porportions of those parts and limbs could be changed for better aesthetic though imo.
The pose may be a little awkward and maybe not possible idk, i would have to try it, i just redrew assuming it was correct. The figure itself seems to be broad/big/and a little thicc/overweight, which is great if that's what you are going for. Then my critique wont be super helpful as i prefer skinny girls with narrower shoulders and not buff. My drawing is not the best but I can still point out a few things that are off. Overall what I take is that you need to draw more, your lines will get better, your porportions of limbs, anatomy, gesture, and form. You should probably focus on gesture and porportions for now, gesture the hardest part is to find a process that works for you and gets the best lookin result. Not drawings the hands/feet is probably because you haven't drawn them enough plus its a bit of a weird angle, mine is off too, using reference would help. Keep drawin and good luck!
222222.jpg
critique.jpg

Return to Critique This!