Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Nukinator98 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:06 am

Nukinator98

Subject title: Kind of all over the place, what am I doing right and wrong?

I started drawing roughly 6-7 months ago.

I'm mostly only able to draw well if I have a reference, but I've heard that's how you build a visual library. Still, I don't know if I rely on it too much or what. I don't trace.
Here's some of my work:

Inktober 1:

Inktober 2: Image

Inktober 3: Image

I'm really proud of the whale, the rest too as it took hard work. And then there's this ..

^ These few are my recent attempts.

Okay so I 1.) Practice a lot, I have sheets upon sheets of practicing the basics, and I'm not going to stop because I'm pretty bad at perspective, ellipses, let alone anatomy etc. I don't mind hard work, I just need to know if I'm doing the right thing or not.
2.) I saw a dip in quality in my recent works [the Avatar fanart] vs my older works [Spirited Away, Totoro etc.] and I'm not sure what it is.
3.) So pretty much, any sort of critique you have. I'm mainly just interested in getting better as an artist. I'd like to do digital art / concept art for games as the end goal. Thanks for reading.

Postby Audiazif » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:52 pm

Audiazif

There are always going to be good days and bad days, or ups and downs in quality, during your art journey. The "problem" could just be just your eye is picking up mistakes you normally did not pick up in earlier work (meaning you are making progress even though it might seem like a regression).

The thing about working from reference is in order to build a visual library you need to be actively breaking it down to get anything from it. You will get little to no retention of visual information if you are just copying it line for line. Try to break things down into simpler shapes that you can later recall rather than seeing and copying lines. Also every once in a while you need to work with no reference otherwise you will not learn how to rely on you visual memory. You need to practice what you are not good at or you will never be good at it.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Critique This!