Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby NMmajithia » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:44 am

NMmajithia

Subject title: Practicing Balance

[*]Hey Guys how is it, so have been practicing balance after getting critics.
[*]The spike dog, tom and jerry drawing are the ones after getting feedback on balance
[*]Have uploaded the references too except for the Overwatch one, clank and Wall-e ones
[*] The secondary purpose of this post is I want to know where should i go from here, as have been just practicing drawing with some tips from guys like proko on measurements (which i believe i rushed into it) '
[*]I Do not want to waste time anymore not following a structed learning process i know this knowledgeable and awesome youtuber jazza and snix are all awesome but in my level of knowledge where should i start.
[*]the ex posts are exercises my critic requested me to do to practice balance ie: 30 second sketch and straight line.
Jerry_Mouse.png
Jerry_Drawing.jpg
Tom_Drawing.jpg
Tom_Cat_Ref.PNG
Robot_Humanoid_Ref.PNG
Robot_Humanoid.jpg
Spike_Dog_Ref.PNG
Spike_Drawing.PNG
Meowth_Ref.png
Meowth_Drawing.jpg
Wall_e.jpg
Over_Watch_robot.jpg
ex.1.jpg
ex.2.jpg
ex.3.jpg
ex.4.jpg
ex.5.jpg
Clank.jpg

Postby Wb_draws » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:12 pm

Wb_draws

I am not sure what do you mean by practicing balance. Usually it means posing figures in such a way that they do not look like they are about to fall. As you are drawing from reference (using pictures), that is not really an issue here as the figures are already in balanced poses (in reference). I would rather focus on observation, measuring and getting proportions right. I am not sure whether someone teach this on youtube, but I would imagine so. I would try Proko as he has a fine art background. Everyone also recommends „drawing on the right side of the brain” book for that, so you may also try it.

Once you improve your skills for drawing from reference, then next steps probably depend on what you wanna draw/paint. If characters, then I would suggest doing a lot of figure/portrait drawings both from reference and imagination + some perspective. I cant really advise more, as this is a step I am currently on ;)

Good luck! :)

Postby NMmajithia » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:24 am

NMmajithia

Thanks brother yeah i did follow proko measurement tutorial on the humanoid robot one can you please critic some of them so i can get an idea what i can improve on specefically
thanks

Postby Audiazif » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Audiazif

I think you should work on proportions and construction. Balance is kind of trivial if you can't construct something that is proportionate.

When I say work on proportion I mean compare the size of one part to another part. To me it looks like you are focusing on one part at a time and not really comparing things to one anther. For example, the Tom, Jerry, and Spike drawings are off. Look at the size of jerry's arms in your drawing compared to the reference. The arms are two different sizes in your drawing. Also across all the drawings look at how many "head" measurements fit into the rest of the drawing (the head is usually a common unit for measuring). The measurements in your drawings don't align with the ref.

It seems like you are copying the references line for line and not really constructing with simple shapes. It looks like you are starting in one place and moving on to the next part connected to the place. Working this way usually leads to disproportionate drawings and paintings. Instead try to build things up with simpler shapes, the entire thing, then refine and add detail over the simple shapes. This means sketching things out lightly to start and once things are in place, go in for the final lines. Kind of along the lines of this.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby NMmajithia » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:04 am

NMmajithia

Thanks Dude appreciate it you have a great eye just noticed the jerry's arm problem right now

Postby Wb_draws » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:59 pm

Wb_draws

Apart from looking at sizes of things, I would also suggest looking at relationships between different parts of the subject. For example, in reference here foot starts at the same place as ear (as indicated by the blue vertical line) whereas in your picture it starts where eyes start. You can also look at the angles between things, for example in your picture angle between tail and ear is much more vertical than in the reference (pink line). And finally you can look at negative spaces, for example, you can compare the shape that arms and body are creating (yellow shape). In your picture it is much longer. Hope it helps

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:52 pm

Ambiguity

Don't really think I can add anything that the others haven't already said. But I think these videos will help you with the measurements, you just have to do ALOT of these:
https://www.ctrlpaint.com/blog/measuring-proportion
https://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/visual-measuring

Return to Critique This!