Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Friendo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:11 am

Friendo

Subject title: Need help with a tattoo for a friend!

Hi guys,

So im doing this tattoo for my girl friend, and after i gave the first sketch to the tatoo artist, she said it was flat and she wasnt inpressed. So here is second attempt. Anyone with experience in this field have any advice?

here is my current version after the feedback, still have to fix the brush textures, because i dont think it will work in tattoo.
Spoiler: show
1543189829661.jpg
current version.

Here was the version I send her, i was basicly doing a study from a photo, but the photo was pretty flat aswell.
Spoiler: show
1543189989974.jpg
first attempt.

hope anyone can help :)
17yr old, self taught Sinix clone, also student living in the Netherlands . sketch book!: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99281&start=120

Postby svarn » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:28 pm

svarn

Uff no offence, but I don't think this is a good idea.
I wouldn't want my friends or family having any of my art on their walls, much less anywhere on their body... forever. You'll see that tatto in 2-3 years and you'll think that it's sht, as it tends to be when you make progress in art.
I'm not saying any of this to bash on your art, the new image is definitely better, but I still don't think it's a tatto material or quality.

Postby Audiazif » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:12 am

Audiazif

I have to agree with svarn. The second attempt is better however would advise your friend to not get this as a tattoo or at the very least do more research and think long and hard on this. The way you described the situation makes me a little worried about the tattoo artist. The thing is why couldn't the tattoo artist work with what you gave them? Wouldn't they have the reference and what you gave them? To me it feels like the tattoo artist is not skilled at portraits. I would maybe look for someone who specializes in portrait tattoos if your friend is hell bent on getting this portrait.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:43 am

Ambiguity

If it's just a tattoo of a real person, why would they not just take the original photo to the tattoo shop? Unless you're planning on stylizing in some particularly interesting way that would work for it's placement on their body, but so far it just looks like a standard digital painting direct from the reference.

Return to Critique This!