Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby SaikoNo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:23 pm

SaikoNo

Subject title: I definetly need some help :)

Hey guys,
so i worked on this painting the past couple days and i think it did turn out okay but i also know that this could be taken waay further than i did it. The problem i have is that i don´t really know what to do to take it further i mean more detail everywhere can´t be the solutions right ?
So what do you guys think ?
New Painting1.jpg

Postby tlst9999 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:11 pm

tlst9999

It's actually pretty complete right now. If it's me,

1) I would even actually remove the spear, It's in the way of the cloud's flow.

2) From the painting, I'm presuming that the right guy is the leader. If so, I'd make the left horse's head bow down lower to indicate submission.

Postby Audiazif » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:48 pm

Audiazif

I agree with tlst9999 on removing the spear. Or you could try to reposition it or change the cropping of the image to make it fit the composition better, if you really want to keep the spear. Right now it is dividing the comp oddly and not doing much to add anything to the image. Another thing I noticed is that some of the detail or the sense of detail is being lost because of all the darks. This could only be on my end, monitor-wise, or even just a personal preference but I think there is too much black or near black in the image. Darkness doesn't always mean black. I mean sure the horse is considered "black", but it looks almost unnatural, in this lighting, to be actual or near black. I am not saying you can't use black but I think you should use it more sparingly.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby fi_le » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:54 pm

fi_le

I agree with the others this is an awesome painting! I have to vent my tangent autism really quickly though; please get the allignment of the left guy's sheath and the diagonal leather belt outta there, I'm counting on you on this one.

Much success with the work!

Postby Gryephon » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:43 am

Gryephon

I think the problem that is going on is that foreground values are too dark, especially the horses.

I did a quick overpainting\filter-over to illustrate what I'm saying. If you notice there is a lot of dark values around the horses, yet it's daytime implying that there should be more fill light which would reduce a lot of the darker tones. But if you simply pushed all the dark tones to the middle, the painting will probably suffer contrast problems because most of it will be dim from all the middle grey tones. So you'll want to make the background feel brighter, which you can do by raising the values of the sky and changing the color to a more luminant color (cyan in this case) which should help increase brillance without destroying colors through lighter values. if you don't understand color luminance you can check out http://www.workwithcolor.com/color-luminance-2233.htm.

New Painting1.jpg
Last edited by Gryephon on Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Postby SaikoNo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:16 pm

SaikoNo

thanks a lot for all of those feedbacks of you guys.
Those are really helpful. I will definetly keep those things in mind when painting a scene with a similar lighting the next time :))

Return to Critique This!