Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby SlimRock » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:48 pm

SlimRock

Subject title: Dragon Hammer ( Capture the flag )

Sup Forum.
Had fun working on this guy though it took me a while to finish, thought I should share. The high rez version is on my Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/Muk1R1
Capture Tha Flag_1 rez.jpg

Postby svarn » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:04 pm

svarn

This is all really subjective, so I don't know if you'd agree with me.
But I think that you've focused on details too much, and you've lost on overall composition.
Once I zoom in, I can see all of that awesome design on the hammer, and patterns on the banner and so on. And all of that is really great. But in my first read, almost whole figure just turns into this "dark blob of armor with horns". And the really contrasting background contributes to turning it all into a silhouette. So if I wasn't critiquing this, I'd probably just move on from the image before I'd see all of the stuff that you rendered so nicely.

Also I'd advise against rendering characters on white canvas. I'm sure that you know this already, but white messes up with your perception of values. If you want to make an illustration, then you should be developing the background along the character from the very start. Or at least from the painting stage, in case if you sketch your characters with lines.

Here are some rough thumbnail edits. I don't know if you're going to like them at all, but personally I think that they are more complete in terms of image composition.

Hope that this helps at all.

Postby Uzaydogan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:40 am

Uzaydogan

Hey, I noticed that the silhouette could use some work. For example, the pole of the flag is perfectly aligned with the foot which makes both of them very hard to read, things like that. Here are some examples of how to improve that in my opinion. Have a good day :)
silüet.jpg

Return to Critique This!